PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) A natural Benzo!

chop
25-03-06, 09:26
Sorry for the long read but this is worth it!

I know it has been said before and is on main pages but I really wanted to tell people that Omega 3 faty acid supplements actully seem to work very well.

Meg I think pointed it out to me in addition to Vitamin B that I was taking and have since tried omega 3 supplement and it seems to relieve depression a little and in turn anxiety and helps you to breathe easier.

It has had such a good effect on me that I had to post it as it is often left out.

There is a little research going on moreso recently regarding fish oil and depression relationships. Most countries that eat lots of fish have almost no depression in comparison and they think there is definately a link. I agree.

I dont eat fish at all and most people dont eat the reccommnded amount.

I dont like supplements in general but natural fish oil is just that. Oil extracted from fish (omega 3 fatty acid) and cannot hurt you in any way.

It also helps arthritus. You cant take too much (unlike some vitamins) ok! And its very cheap!

I take 3 x pills a day which is reccomended if you dont eat fish (3000mg) and up to 12000mg for arthritus. 200 pills cost me $14.95 of best brand (so about $4 pounds I think).

Try them please. They seem to help me a lot.

You can also get it from natural milk (goats milk I think that is) or nuts convert it into omega 3 or flax seed. Anyway, get some omega 3 fatty acids in ya! Fish and omega 3 acids actually PROVEN to stop the development of many diseases too and VITAL to good health so if not for anything but health, take some (esp if you dont eat fish a few times a week - who does?).

P.S. I will reinforce, it cant hurt you or overdose and buy the natural fish oil tested for mercury (good brands is just oil extracted from fish and comes in capsules so u dont taste it etc). I say it cant hurt from the studies I ahve read but I am not a Dr so always consult. I am only going on what I read and huge intakes could make some things worse if you have them so consult Dr but studies with huge amounts show it has no bad effects on people in general. (thoguht I would clarify that so I dont get into trouble)

P.S. Any comments welcome and tell me how you go please. :)[^]

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

trac67
25-03-06, 11:00
Hi Hun,

I have just started taking the omega fish oils and vitb complex too, so I will let you know how I go with them, mind they could make the omega ones a bit smaller to swallow LOL.

Catch you later for a chat.

Love

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

chop
25-03-06, 11:43
lol yes they are BIG!

Another interesting part I found on a Govt health site

The human brain is one of the largest "consumers" of DHA. A normal adult human brain contains more than 20 grams of DHA. Low DHA levels have been linked to low brain serotonin levels which again are connected to an increased tendency to depression, suicide, and violence. A high intake of fish has been linked to a significant decrease in age-related memory loss and cognitive function impairment and a lower risk of developing Alzheimer's disease. A recent study found that Alzheimer's patients given an omega-3-rich supplement experienced a significant improvement in their quality of life.[6-9]

Several studies have established a clear association between low levels of omega-3 fatty acids and depression. Other studies have shown that countries with a high level of fish consumption have fewer cases of depression. Researchers at Harvard Medical School have successfully used fish oil supplementation to treat bipolar disorder (manic-depressive illness) and British researchers report encouraging results in the treatment of schizophrenia. [10-15]

Researchers at the University of Sydney have found that children who regularly eat fresh, oily fish have a four times lower risk of developing asthma than do children who rarely eat such fish. They speculate that EPA present in the fish may prevent the development of asthma or reduce its severity by reducing airway inflammation and responsiveness. Researchers at the University of Wyoming have found that supplementation with 3.3 grams/day of fish oil markedly reduces breathing difficulties and other symptoms in asthma patients. Other research has found fish oil to be beneficial in the treatment of other lung diseases such as cystic fibrosis and emphysema.

Heart disease, all sorts. I wont go on with it lol anymore but is ther nothing this doesnt help with?

All studies show good things for so many things and also the best thing is it is natural stuff and not man made "brain stuff"! Also, there seems to be no risk of overdosing but I would always check with a Dr anyway in cases of blood clots or other diseases just in case.

Another site (yes fish foundation of Uk but there are based on trials etcd) Interesting it all is!
http://www.fish-foundation.org.uk/Brain&Eyes.htm

P.S. Again I am not a Dr so consult first :)

Learning to under react

trac67
25-03-06, 11:46
all sounds good to me. I will carry on trying to swallow the 'bricks' then LOL

Trac xxx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

andrew england 2
25-03-06, 12:46
this is a good omega 3 link

http://www.omega3.20megsfree.com/index.html

Warrior
29-03-06, 12:46
My doctor recently advised me to take fish oils, but I don't which brand is good?
Also, I have heard that flaxeed oil is very high in omega 3 oils, is that true?[8)]
Thank you
With Luv

chop
31-03-06, 03:58
I take blackmores fish oil. (Dont know if available there)

You want more omega 3 and less omega 6.

Apperently, Fish oil is better overall than cod liver oil or flaxseed (forget why).

Also, Taking 1000mg of fish oil capsule does not mean you are taking 1000mg of epa omega 3. Most likely about 180mg. Recommended daily intake for "normal" people is 650mg-1000mg so need many tabs alone if not eating much food high in it.

Make sure oil is tested for mercury etc too.

Cheers
Chop

P.S. People with arthritus often take up to 15-20 tabs day.

Learning to under react

chop
03-04-06, 13:15
I should add (as I have a very inquisitive mind and need to know how things work) that I have emailed a few dr's and read a million sites (genuine medical sites and psch sites) on this (all new controlled scientific studies) and Omega 3 (fish oil) is actully a natural type of benzodiazepine! A peripheral type benzodiazepine.

I have gone thru the research and found so many interesting things!

Love it!

Those on benzos and want to get off them? Try a high dose of fish oil to help.

They are actually studying this and some switched on pysch's are using it for this!

I have spent many hours reading all the text I could find including how benzos and GABAa and fish oil works. (p.s. Im not stupid lol - I need to know exactly how things work) this is very promising.

Very promising indeed. hope this topic gets to sticky at some point.

It all keeps gettign better, however, I should also say LARGE doses may be no good for diabetics but normal doses fine.

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

chop
17-04-06, 17:16
Sorry to bump thread but I know a few people have tried his short term so far. Gimme the good news even though it is early days...

Glad to hear from you.

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

raverbaby
18-04-06, 22:03
i have just started taking omega 3 tablets (2x1000mg) a day, and also some vit B complex. only started 2 days ago, and think maybe just maybe its helping!!!

today was my first day with the need of my valium and no anxiety or depression kicked in!!

im gonna stick with the fish oil

dream
19-04-06, 10:44
hi chop
just been to Holland and Barrett ,got my fish oils ,
on the bottle it says to take one to three tabs a day,
the lady told me to start on 3 and that i can cut them down if they are making me feel better ,just took my 1st one and god trac is right they are so big lol,[Duh!] but i will keep going with them and let you know how i get on ,
take care denisexxx

denise

raverbaby
20-04-06, 12:31
haha i spoke too soon!!! went out last night got drunk and had very mild panic attack so had to go home [V]

gonna keep trying tjho

chop
23-04-06, 17:02
lol
It takes time and you need a decent dose.

Feel free to pm me on dose wise. Every brand has different amounts and your not looking at the fish oil content on label etc. you need to look for epa/dha and alvo vit E.

Pm me with any queries, Depending upon the degree of your anxiety -For mood disorders like anxiety/panic/depression, a normal capsule 2 times per day would not do too much and would take time but certainly help with breathing and body health.

I have increased dose and it is awesome! I am on a high dose now but it is great and helping amazingly. (ps my anxiety was house bound for years). Its working for me but I needed bigger dose to get REALL BIG effects. I feel great.
I dont want to tell you what dose I am on or it will scare you lol. But anyway, they are great and help many tings including anziety. Bloody work tho!
Look on any website and see if we supposed to eat fish lol.
Remember arthritus people take 9-12 caps a day for a good effect.

P.S. Remember it cant hurt you (unless blood disorder or diabetic in massive doses). It is a natural oil from fish we eat!

Chop

Learning to under react

raverbaby
24-04-06, 12:20
ive now uped my dose to 6 capsulas a day, the fish smell when i burp is rank lol!!!

is 6 enough to take or should i try more?

chop
25-04-06, 13:37
Everyone is different. See how you go with 6.

My burps dont smell like fish and mine are not odourless fish oil or anything but I hear that is common lol.

Let me know ina few wekks :)

Chop

Learning to under react

giddy
27-04-06, 17:05
Hi - I've finally found some omega 3 that don't smell of fish - they're 1000mg and the tub says take 1 a day, is that enough or should I be taking more?
Chop - have you heard of this guy
Nick Dale
Naturopath
www.beatingtiredness.com
He's Australian and I was wondering if its worth trying his programme?
Thanks
Love Helen

chop
28-04-06, 13:40
Hi Helen,
I have not heard of him nope.

It depends on how mucg EPA and DHA is in the pills.
Can you tell me that?

Cheers
Paul

Learning to under react

kellynwv
28-04-06, 14:58
I eat uncle sams cereal every morning for the fiber. It also has high content of Omega-3, I wonder if that is giving me the same benefit as the fish oil would?

It is really good and low gi.

kellynwv
28-04-06, 14:59
I eat uncle sams cereal every morning for the fiber. It also has high content of Omega-3, I wonder if that is giving me the same benefit as the fish oil would?

It is really good and low gi.

giddy
28-04-06, 17:59
Chop - my omega 3 says Fish body oil 1000.0mg, with EPA 180.0mg and DHA 120.0mg
Thanks
Helen

chop
29-04-06, 17:30
Well you need up to 2000mg of EPA as a mood stabiliser (help depresion and anxiety), so up to 11 tabs a day Giddy :)

Not trying to scare you. One tab a day will help overall health anyway but for a mood stabiliser, its much higher dose but once again everyone is different.

Even for arthritus they use up to 12 tabs a day. One a day will help overall health anyway though but if you want full benefit, take more :)

Remember though, its a natural thing and like eating fish so it is not going to harm most people. no side effects noticed in people in studies I have read.

look at it this way, how much oil do you think is in an oily fish? You are supposed to eat oily fish a few times a week. there is a fair amount of oil in a few pieces of oily fish a week ;) So you are not taking much at all, even at 3 per day :) (thats only 3 grams of oil from fish etc)

Cheers
chop

Learning to under react

giddy
29-04-06, 19:10
Thanks Chop - thats alot!!! I guess I take them spread through the day - 3 or 4 with each meal?
Love Helen

chop
30-04-06, 10:56
Thats what I do.
Let me know how you go :D

Thanks
Chop

Learning to under react

the8th
09-06-06, 04:01
I want to try this but I can't swallow pills :(

giddy
09-06-06, 17:13
I can't swallow pills either - I have to eat some food and then shove the fish oil pill in just before I swallow!!
Love Helen

chop
09-06-06, 17:43
Has it helped anyone?

It is helping me greatly.

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

the8th
09-06-06, 20:05
I found some chewable ones I think I might try.

jackie
09-06-06, 21:28
right you lot i want to join in what you are doing. right so over here we have " eyeq" fish oils but i do eat ioly fish at least once a week adn yogart with omega 3 every morning.

what will i start on as my anxiety is beyond control but i hate meds

jackie

soo informative this, cheers

chop
12-06-06, 18:16
To do any real good for bad anxiety I found you must take a high dose (as with all the studies).
I take up to 12 pills a day (12000mg).

Start with 2 x 1000mg tabs 2-3 times a day I think if you can.

P.S. This is not a MED as such just pure fish oil (natural)

make sure you get decent but not necessarily the dear stuff. Pharmacy grade or mercury and pesticide tested ones. I get the cheapest and it is actually the best.

Mine has 180 EPA and 120 DPA in it.

Thats what you want approx in each tab. Also if you can find one with a little vitamin E in it, thats good too if your taking high doses.

P.S. People with arthritus take this much and sometimes more per day.
Small doese will help overall health, large doses help all sorts of things and its natural.

Even if you have to take one per day instead, thats still good for you overall.

Regards
Chop

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">right you lot i want to join in what you are doing. right so over here we have " eyeq" fish oils but i do eat ioly fish at least once a week adn yogart with omega 3 every morning.

what will i start on as my anxiety is beyond control but i hate meds

jackie

soo informative this, cheers

<div align="right">Originally posted by jackie - 09 June 2006 : 21:28:37</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Learning to under react

giddy
13-06-06, 07:34
Jackie - I use Tesco Omega 3 Pure fish Oil because they have been tested for mercury.
Love Helen

florence
17-06-06, 09:40
Hi there

Just want to say that I started taking fish oil supplements yesterday. 1000mg with EPA 287 mg and DHA 191 mg.
Its advised to take only one a day, so I wouldn't dare taking more.
Hopefully , it will help, anxiety wise.
Thanks.

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

chop
19-06-06, 09:27
You have a strange one as most direct no more than 9 and some many more depending upon what you are treating. Good amount of EPA though. (high)

I wonder how all the others going like cholesterol people lowering it and all the others taking an advised amount of 12 per day are going then.

Anyway, as said, I am not a Dr but I have read much about it.

Do you think one piece of fish a week would hurt you?

How much oil does an oily fish have ;) More than a few Mgs? I think so lol. You are supposed to eat oily fish a few times a week at MIN for normal health.

I am goign by what Drs say and also trials and also what is on the packet.
Dont exceed massive amounts like 20 per day unless advised by Dr.

Feel free to research it though. It does help but once again I am not personally a Dr.

It has certainly helped me. (in large doses). Also talked to Psych and she likes it.

Chop

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there

Just want to say that I started taking fish oil supplements yesterday. 1000mg with EPA 287 mg and DHA 191 mg.
Its advised to take only one a day, so I wouldn't dare taking more.
Hopefully , it will help, anxiety wise.
Thanks.

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

<div align="right">Originally posted by florence - 17 June 2006 : 09:40:02</div id="right">

Learning to under react

mkeeley
25-06-06, 02:08
Just wondered how long before you expect to feel the benefits? I've just started taking 12/day, about 2000mg of EPA (180/capsule). I know eveyone is different but is it normally weeks or months?

Marc Keeley

chop
25-06-06, 06:37
Hi
It didnt take me long but some take up to 3-8 weeks for full benefit.

Many thanks for trying and let us know how it goes.

Paul

Learning to under react

mkeeley
25-06-06, 17:01
Thanks, will do.

Marc Keeley

chop
27-06-06, 14:45
Hi all again,

Let me know how you all go please. Interesting.

It has helped many and helped me be more calm.

Tank you
Paul

Learning to under react

mkeeley
12-07-06, 04:00
Well I'm on my 3rd week of vitamin B 100 slow release (2 x 50) and 12 capsules of Omega 3 per day, so about 1200mg of EPA, plus the usual multi-vit, calcium and magnesium suppliments. Also still taking my meds but before I was feeling anxious and panicky with them. Now, so far, I'm feeling fine, no anxiety or panicky feelings. I go out and don't worry or even think about having a panic attack. I've "tested" myself by doing things and going places that would normally make me anxious or panicky and have been fine. Still take my Rescue Remedy and a couple of Xanax with me just in case though.

Having said all of that it's probably too early to say if it's the vit B/omega 3 that's helping or I'm just happen to be having a calm spell, hopefully it's the former. Whichever it is it's nice to have a few weeks feeling fairly normal! If things carry on like this I'll look at starting to reduce my meds and see what happens.

I've been buying a few tubs of Omega 3 each time I visit Tescos making the most of their buy one get one free offer. Got about 34 tubs so far but as a tub only last a week I'll carry on hoarding!

Marc

chop
15-07-06, 04:38
Good to hear its helping someone!

Sure you need to take a lot but if it helps :)

CHeers
Paul

Learning to under react

rockweasel
20-07-06, 12:17
hi Chop,

I started taking fish oil and more vitamen B and do feel less anxious so far. I am off to a festival for a few days and I know I will get panicy (big crowds and all that) so i am going to dose myself up on fish oil!

Thanks rockweasel x

tyra
22-07-06, 23:19
hi guys will they help with ocd
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

chop
26-07-06, 11:59
HI Tyra,
They say in studies that they may do but would be high dose so I cant answer it fully but they do say in high doses they may be beneficial to ocd also.

Regards
Paul

Learning to under react

the8th
26-07-06, 22:34
I found the fish oil in the actual oil so no having to swallow tablets. I'm taking two spoons a day and it says each spoonful is 980 DHA and 545 EPA. I am thinking to increase this soon as I am not sure it is doing much.

mkeeley
26-07-06, 23:01
Hi the8th

Think I'd prefer to take the capsules, don't think I could stick the taste!

Anyway from what I've read 1200mg of EPA/day is the optimal amount, apparently there's no point in taking more than that. So that's about 2 1/2 spoonfuls. I suggest splitting that in to 3 doses rather than have it all in one go, so about 3/4 spoonful per dose.

Marc

chop
27-07-06, 01:38
Remember they say you want more EPA than DHA.

Cheers
Paul

Learning to under react

mkeeley
27-07-06, 14:16
Don't think there's anyyhing out there with more DHA than EPA so don't think that's a concern.

Having said that I don't think I've read that you have to have more EPA than DHA just they do different things and for us, we need a high amount of EPA.

Marc

chop
28-07-06, 01:22
I mentioned that because of what the 8th said they were on.

Regards
Paul

Learning to under react

mkeeley
28-07-06, 01:34
You're right he did. If that's correct then that's the first I've heard of anything having more DHA than EPA.

Marc

seraone
09-08-06, 18:49
I have a book called:

What Your Doctor Hasn't Told You and the Health Store Clerk Doesn't Know by Edward L. Schneider, M.D.

It describes many alternative treatments to different ailments. For Depression/Anxiety, it states that fish oils and folic acid (folate-found in fruits, vegetables, beans, grains or suppliments) may improve mood, in cases of severe depression suppliments are not recommended over medical treatment. He has several at-home mood elevators that he suggests for anxiety. One of them being fish oils containing Omega-3 fatty acids.

I have been taking Omega-3 and Folic Acid since I was pregnant (daughter is now 14 months) and noticed a difference at that time. When my anxiety became worse, I was afraid to take even suppliments, so I stopped, thinking that was what was causing my problems. My anxiety became worse. For the past two weeks, I have been back on Omega-3 every day and have noticed a dramatic change in my mood. I really believe that it works, and don't think I will ever stop taking them as long as it makes me feel good.:D

chop
10-08-06, 04:29
Congrats :D

Thats what we like to hear [:P]

Paul

Learning to under react

chop
05-09-06, 11:33
Has anyone else tried?
Interested to see what results people have with it.

MAny thanks
Paul

Learning to under react

Jem27
11-09-06, 19:42
I have the Tesco omega 3, it says to take only 1 a day and to not exceed stated dose so is it safe to take more? how many should you take? I suffer from health anxiety not depression.

mkeeley
11-09-06, 19:53
I take 12 of the Tesco Omega 3 per day so that I receive about 1200mg of EPA, the main part that helps in anxiety & panic. Might sound a lot but is only equivalent to 1 1/2 portions of fish, but unlike fish they’re tested for mercury and other impurities. People who suffer with arthritis take up to 20 capsules a day.

So it's not problem taking more than 1, I think they're just covering themselves in the same way as they say, for example, only take 1 vitamin C tablet.

Marc

Jem27
11-09-06, 20:51
Thanks,

Crikey I will rattle soon, I am taking a multivitamin, magnesium, vitamin B, evening primrose & omega 3, if i take 11 omg!! hehe.

mkeeley
11-09-06, 21:04
I know! If your're taking magnesium then you should also be taking roughly double the amount in calcium. From another web site.

The suggested ratio of intake is about 2:1, calcium to magnesium. Magnesium also requires an acidic stomach environment for best absorption, so taking it between meals or at bedtime is recommended.

I take magnesium/calcium first thing and last thing.

Marc

Jem27
11-09-06, 21:52
So you can't take magnesium on its own? I am not taking a calcium supplement other than whats in my mutlivitamin.

juju
11-09-06, 22:14
hi,
i have been taking these along with b6 and e. primrose oil for about 6 weeks now, they really do help, im just fed up of the fishy burps
lol
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

mkeeley
11-09-06, 22:42
You can take magnesium on its own it's just absorbed better if taken with calcium.

As for fishy burps you can get flaxseed capsules, not suposed to be quite as good as fish oil but a good alternative. I personally found that the fishy burps only happened on and off for a couple of weeks, now they happen very rarely.

I've found that taking vitamins (b complex 100, magnesium, calcium, vit c and multi-vit) and Omega 3 isn't a cureall, have had a few really bad days and days when I've just felt yuck. Having said that they've probably reduced my anxiety by a degree and sometimes that's the difference between feeling good enough and having anxiety/panic attacks. This could be because Omega 3 alters your fight or flight reactions.

Marc

kilvosa
11-09-06, 23:47
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I can't swallow pills either - I have to eat some food and then shove the fish oil pill in just before I swallow!!
Love Helen

<div align="right">Originally posted by giddy - 09 June 2006 : 18:13:31</div id="right">

hi you can buy it in liquid form its qute expensive though i used to give it to the kids its called eyeq and is in different flavours. im gonna try it ti , to see if it helps.
All the best Anne

mkeeley
12-09-06, 00:02
eye q is fish oil based and as you said, v.expensive for what it is. I received a few samples of eye q smooth and thought it was pretty digusting, you can definately taste the fish in it. I doubt it's any more effective than taking, say, the Tesco Omega 3 capsules from what I read on their web site.

Personally I think they charge such a high premium because they market the benefits to things like kids attention span etc not because it has anything special in it.

You can get flaxseed oil in bottles if you can't swallow pills or if your really brave you chew the fish oil capsules but that wouldn't be something I'd fancy doing!

Marc

chop
12-09-06, 20:01
Hi
Glad to see some people trying it.
It isnt a cureall but it certainly has helped a lot.

Paul

Learning to under react

MessedUp
17-01-08, 16:50
Just thought I'd bump this interesting thread ...
... and ask if anyone has been taking this kind of thing for a while and has had longterm success with it?

thanks