PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts and obsessions

dc100
07-01-11, 09:28
Hi,

i have been suffering from anxiety a lot recently and i seem to switch between bodily symptoms and intrusive thoughts recently im started getting horrible thoughts and worry about food and drink contamination i know its stupid and its only thoughts but find it so hard to clear my mind and relax

JGJ
07-01-11, 10:51
hello im going through some thing like that but my mind keeps telling me im scared of every no matter what it is even if it some thing some one has said or some thing i have heard its getting silly and so hard to control its not nice like your walking a thine line and at any time now your going to go mad sorry bim no help just letting you know your not by your self are you taking any meds

blueangel
07-01-11, 11:51
I've talked about intrusive thoughts with my CBT therapist. Evidently, just everyone gets intrusive thoughts, as they seem to be a part of how the brain functions - but it's anxious people that get affected by them as we latch on to them instead of letting them go.

dc100
07-01-11, 13:52
its horrible - i know i would never hurt anyone or ever have so why does it go round and round in my mind and scare me with thoughts and images like today i got a coffee from my local coffee shop then started obsessing if they done something to my coffee then horrible thought which i just cant shift driving me mad - i know its stupid and ive had them before but this time it just goes round and round causing distress

daydreamer
07-01-11, 14:16
I write them down and then say them out loud to myself, it helps me realise just how silly and irrational they are. Give it a go, it might help you too? good luck x

mr badger
07-01-11, 15:54
I write them down and then say them out loud to myself, it helps me realise just how silly and irrational they are. Give it a go, it might help you too? good luck x

I like that!

Another way is to imaginge someone you like and trust saying your thoughts out loud. Can be quite comical IME.

dc100
07-01-11, 17:03
thanks for the ideas - i know im not crazy but sometimes it feel like it, anxiety does some really strange things no wonder i think im losing it

i seem to get over one set of thought only to get others stuck in there place