PDA

View Full Version : Things I Tell Myself

sarah
14-03-04, 22:32
Hi all

Heres a few things that keep me sane when Im having a panic:-

1) Ok so I can feel my heart pounding - well while I can feel it im still alive!!!:D

2) My heart is beating fast - Hey im getting a mini workout without even going to the gym!!!:D

3)My legs feel wobbly - well I used to feel like that (and get a racing heart) on the first few dates I used to have.:D

4) So I feel dizzy and sick - Isnt that how I used to feel at the end of a bad drinking session? [8D]

any one else got any more???

love Sarah
xx

Laurie28
15-03-04, 12:07
Sarah,

I'm terrible for remembering things when in mid panic!!!

I usually end up argueing with myself ie. Oh god this time i really can't breathe and then ok you've felt like this before you will be fine!!!

Over and over!!!!!

I try and tell myself things like If you culdn't breathe you wouldn't be walking etc

Lucky

gingerone
14-06-04, 08:33
hi ya
i keep telling my self i am fine and then inside i am saying this is it ur times up its over what r u goin to do whats going to happen please help me someone.

c j giff

jollywalrus
14-06-04, 10:11
I always say " This time I'm gonna faint, someone will steal my bag, children, shopping. I'm going to make a complete fool of myself. Gotta get out, gotta get out!"

I guess I'm not very good at this positive thinking thing am I?

Christine

PS I do always go back in straight away after my panic has finished, just to show myself I can do it!

seh1980
16-06-04, 19:30
Hi Sarah,

Wow-you seem to have it all worked out!! I can never remember anything in mid panic. I'll have to keep your tips in mind!!

Sarah (seh1980)

sal
16-06-04, 20:58
Hi Sarah

Good tips, i will remember those!

5) feel im going mad - if i was truly going mad i wouldnt ever be capable of thinking that

Rennie1989
16-06-04, 21:27
6) so iv got a cramp in my stomach - at least my food is bein digested

Scooter Girl

if i wa hungry would u feed me, if i fell u you help me up, if i was crying would brush away my tears

mojo5
14-02-05, 10:27
It depends on the severeity of the attack.

If the adrenanlin is really coarsing though my body then it's really tough and just have to 'ride' it. Not easy.

But at the low to mid range severity, I can talk to myself in my head and pretty much make it go away.

What do I say to myself ?

7) You KNOW you are OK really ( i've had loads of tests !)
8) Yes your heart IS beating fast/strongly - that's OK you're tense - that's what happens.
9) I ( as calmly as possible ) ask the feelings what they want or what they want to tell me.

Very often they don't want to tell me anything and they melt away.

I've only been doing this for about a week and so far it works for me. It may not be for everyone - and I don't want to get too excited about it - (because I've had false dawns before) but I think it works. ( Thankyou Jill xx)

Hope this helps someone else slay the beast !

Good luck all
:)Mo.

Tracy68
14-02-05, 12:36
When I'm going thru one of my moments, I always think of my kids and tell myself to buck up coz its not fair on them.
Seems to help.
Tracy
xx

Chris X
15-02-05, 22:37
Hi Sarah, I like the 2nd one , but the funny thing is its so true.i must admit when i was having panic attacks my thoughts were so irrational, but when i felt myself calming down abit i use to look forward to that relaxing feeling i got afterwards like i had run ten miles. Chrisx

Mike26uk
23-02-05, 15:03
This one is a bit embarrassing to admit up to but does work for me sometimes (Although probably only a guy thing!)

When I'm about to do something that makes me feel panicky and all I want to do is run, I try to pretend i'm doing something heroic. I imagine i'm diving back into a burning building to save someone's life or climbing out of a trench to do battle. I guess in someways to do something when everything in your body is telling you not to is a bit heroic.

Meg
23-02-05, 15:11
Mike ,

I think this is a really great way to view the situations and help to get you through them.

Thanks for sharing

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

jo-jo
23-02-05, 20:04
Hiya

Love the tips - Mike yours is really lovely, I'm gonna try it myself.

The only thing that I find sometimes helps me is remembering that anxiety is the flip side of excitement and that there have been many times in my life that I've gone in search of the 'adrenaline' thrill, so I ask myself why it is that I don't like it this time when I've loved that feeling in the past.

Best wishes folks

Jo xx

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Meg
23-02-05, 21:36
Jo ,

You haven't got to CD 3 yet !!
Your exact question will be answered

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

clickaway
25-02-05, 23:18
10) My face and body is getting so warm.

Just as well, its snowing out and I can't face travelling to warmer climes just yet. :D

Ray