PDA

View Full Version : Urine flow not as strong - prostrate probs?

mum-of-4
08-01-11, 15:55
Hi everyone :)

I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm posting as my husband (who is 38) mentioned to me today that for the past few days when he has a wee it takes a while for the urine to flow and it's not as strong a flow as usual. He also doesn't have as much urine as usual and feels as though he needs to go frequently but not much comes out.

He says that he hasn't got any pain or burning or anything so I'm not sure that it's an infection.

I stupidly searched on the internet and prostrate cancer came up :scared15:. Although there was also alot about enlarged prostrate being quite common in men and not cancer.

I am now freaking out and know that my weekend is ruined whilst I wait for Monday to come around and for him to go to the dr and as much as I tell myself that the chances are that it is something harmless, I have that horrible shaky restless paniky feeling that I always get when it's something to do with health :weep:

Please, is there anyone with any advice/words of reasurrance who has had this?

Many many thanks!

looking4answers
08-01-11, 20:50
No need to worry.. its enlarged prostate.. mens prostate enlarges about every ten years..Reduced urine flow and also having to go more often is normal..Some men experience this at his age some my age and some older than I. The doctor probably will do an exam and either give him some meds or just tell him to wait and watch..In my situtation I haven't gone to the doctor but have classic BPH ..enlarged prostate..sometimes its better and sometimes not so good but mostly its nothing to be afraid about.. just normal for men..Hope this helps

mum-of-4
09-01-11, 13:27
Oh thanks so much. Thats so reasurring to hear. He has a dr appt on Monday anyway and I'll keep my fingers crossed that's what it is.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I really appreciate your reply.

Groundhog
09-01-11, 13:59
Looking for answers has summed it up quite nicely. Every mans (and I mean every) prostrate enlarges with age, the days of me being able to shoot down flies much above waste height at the urinal have long gone. Its more a case of some being affected sooner than others and whether ultimately an op is necessary. I think to start and worry is only necessary if there is pain and more importantly blood in the flow but even then there are a multitude of insignificant problems that can cause even this.

westofengland
09-01-11, 18:29
Prostrate is a classic source of worry but I am sure he's fine. His GP can do simple tests and they will know if there is a problem very soon

Probably not as he's pretty young to get it

Don't pass on your anxiety to him though! I got very worried about it and got to the stage where I was so worried about getting up to go for a pee in the night, it became a self fulfilling prophecy. Once I got tested I stopped waking up :)

You can't GUARANTEE avoiding prostrate cancer, but eating lots of lycopene (from cooked tomatoes) apparently helps, broccoli and avacado too

Good luck

Geoff2301
09-01-11, 19:43
AS its come on quickly over a few days and he's a bit young for prostate trouble, he's probably picked up an infection somewhere down there!!...... nothing to worry about and it'll clear up on its own in a few days...... I've had similar myself. Drink plent of liquid helps.
Geoff