PDA

View Full Version : self help books.....

calm
08-01-11, 21:12
can anyone recommend some good self help books to read for high anxiety/panic.

it would be greatly appreciated xxxx thank you oh so much xxxxxx

Captain Caveman
08-01-11, 21:44
Hi. I recommend "DON'T PANIC You Can Overcome Anxiety without drugs" by Dr Sallee McLaren

http://www.qbd.com.au/product/9781920769161-Dont_Panic_You_Can_Overcome_Anxiety_Without_Drugs_ by_Sallee_McLaren.htm

http://www.scribepublications.com.au/book/dontpanic

blue moon
08-01-11, 22:06
Fixing It The Complete Guide to Anxiety -Free Living
by Bev Aisbett x
Petra x

paula lynne
08-01-11, 22:24
Hiya sweety x
Feel the fear and do it anyway - Dr Susan Jeffers
Self-help for your nerves - Dr Claire Weekes (a little old fashioned in parts (ECT, and valium for the "housewife") but mostly valid and still very helpful) xxx:D

Dizz
08-01-11, 23:26
old fashioned or not (I didn't really think it was)... but the info and advice in it certainly worked a treat for me :)

Not read any of the others but I'm sure they are really good too :)

calm
08-01-11, 23:46
thank you guys....really appreciate it xxxxx

billywhizz
15-01-11, 15:52
"The Only Way Out Is Through" by Billy Cross

find it at siranx.com (http://siranx.com)

short and sweet self help book.

pia
19-01-11, 07:45
Hi there,

Im reading 'overcoming social anxiety and shyness' by Gillian Butler. Finding it quite helpfull so far. :hugs: xx

calm
20-01-11, 21:57
thank you oh so much for your posts - really really appreciate it xxxxx

FreeSpirit
24-01-11, 15:37
The book that helped me most was 'At last a life' written by Paul David..his story of how he recovered from years of panic and anxiety..I bought my copy of ebay.

calm
23-02-11, 20:53
thank you free spirit xxxxxx

midgey
23-02-11, 22:04
i've read many, but Ive found the anxiety and panic workbook really good.....got mine from Amazon.

missy007
24-02-11, 22:41
I've just bought The Anxiety and Phobia workbook from Amazon. Just started it but it seems to be good.

And Paula Lynne you have just reminded me that I have the Susan Jeffers book - Feel the fear - and do it - so I just have to start reading it too :)

NoPoet
22-03-11, 21:42
Thanks for this thread. I just bought Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway from Amazon :)

Also I second the recommendation for "Self-Help For Your Nerves" - typical no-nonsense Claire Weekes stuff, despite its rather frightening mentions of shock treatment. The "valium for housewives" thing is a product of its time and today it would apply to anyone who is constantly stuck at home.

Also I recently bought "Essential Help For Your Nerves" by Claire Weekes which is an anthology of two self-help books, and I recommend "Pass Through Panic" for its unbelievably helpful mp3s.

"Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" might be beyond those who are only just beginning their recovery. It's aimed mainly at people who are held back in everyday life through fear. It contains a number of significant insights into fear and uses key words such as "pain" and "paralysis" which accurately describe the basic state an anxious or depressed person finds themselves in. On the other hand this book is all about getting out there and doing the things that frighten you; I'm not sure this would always be helpful to those who are stuck at rock bottom but it would help those who are recovering.

Finally, the new book "If Life Gives You Lemons: 10 seconds to happiness" is aimed more at depressed and generally unhappy people, but is packed with inspirational thoughts, quotes and ideas.

jelina
23-06-11, 09:58
it would be greatly appreciated Im reading 'overcoming social anxiety and shyness' by Gillian Butler. Finding it quite helpfull so far.

Nicky32
24-06-11, 10:46
Instant Confidance - Paul Mckenna is good...Nifty mind programming CD comes with it too.

Jillyw
07-07-11, 15:36
Hi Calm, the best book I've ever read about anxiety etc, is called 'THE ANXIETY TRAP', by Terri Conley. I'm not sure if you can still get it-but I've found it invaluable. the ISBN no. is- 0-952-7350-0-8.

Niknok
14-07-11, 13:52
I've just bought The Anxiety and Phobia workbook from Amazon. Just started it but it seems to be good.

And Paula Lynne you have just reminded me that I have the Susan Jeffers book - Feel the fear - and do it - so I just have to start reading it too :)

I have both of those books, the Anxiety and Phobia work book is really good, helped me to see that what I was feeling was normal for Anxiety sufferers. :)

Jenwales
05-05-12, 18:58
I found overcoming panic good for panic attacks when i had them years ago it helped me to get through them

konrad
06-05-12, 02:12
I suppose for people who are new to anxiety and feel as if there is no way out, Self-help for your nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes is a very good start.
I remember that I bought some other ones too, but never got to read them.
Back then Claire Weekes and a CD I got from No Panic played a big part in my recovery. As I am currently back with anxiety, I will start there again.

EliStarr*
13-05-12, 18:28
I was directed towards two books myself, one is called "Overcoming Anxiety" - Helen Kennerley... The Other is "Overcoming Low Self-Esteem" - Melanie Fennell, To be honest though they aren't really helping, I find it hard to take in what i'm reading, I just find it hard to concentrate :/

andrewhowell
10-10-12, 07:33
I also use self help book. This book helps me to control anxiety.

Serenitie
10-10-12, 08:41
Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway - Susan Jeffers
You Can Heal Your Life - Louise L. Hay
The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook - Edmund J. Bourne
Yesterday I Cried: Celebrating the Lessons of Living and Loving - Iyanla Vanzant

These Claire Weekes audios also help me a lot :yesyes:
http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/Relax.html#HowToRecover

Wishing you well! :hugs:

Clarinha
10-10-12, 09:46
Agoraphobia and anxiety workbook previously suggested is very comprehensive and helpful.
One I would advise for those like me who suffer specifically from agoraphobia is the Agoraphobia Workbook: A comprehensive program to end your fears of symptom attacks from Pollard and Zuercher White, can be bought from Amazon. :blush:

little scientist
11-10-12, 13:40
I was directed towards two books myself, one is called "Overcoming Anxiety" - Helen Kennerley... The Other is "Overcoming Low Self-Esteem" - Melanie Fennell, To be honest though they aren't really helping, I find it hard to take in what i'm reading, I just find it hard to concentrate :/

I too found the overcoming series a bit too much to take in - its a big book with a lot of text!

I personally am liking the mini-books from the live life to the full website, eye catching, and deals with things in small chunks :)

dems
18-10-12, 12:36
I woul recommand The Fractured Mind a book about how to recover from anxiety and panic; you can find it on amazon kindle store

aix123
03-11-12, 14:21
'At Last a Life' by Paul David... uncannily similar ideas and method of self-treatment to Claire Weekes... when I say uncanny, I mean exactly the same... strange that, even though she is never mentioned in the book.

joebloggs
02-12-12, 18:06
I have noticed that there seems to be some confusion as to the titles of the books written by Claire Weekes. Her original book, "Self help for your nerves" was published in 1962 and was a 'best seller' from the word go. The second "Peace from Nervous Suffering" was published in 1972. "More help for your Nerves" was published in 1984. The latest version which is a compilation of the other two was published in 2000 and is called "Essential help for your Nerves" This is a mch updated version and contains a lot the other books don't. Please forgive me if I am 'teaching my grandmother to suck eggs' but I did notice this slight confusion on the Forum. Beat wishes. John.

Mark13
06-12-12, 22:15
These are books I have bought and have found to be of some value for anxiety:

"The Mindful Path Through Worry & Rumination" - Sameet M. Kumar Ph.D

"Coping With A Stressed Nervous System" - Dr Kenneth Hambly & Alice Muir

"Change Your Thinking" - Dr Sarah Edelman (CBT self help / workbook)

Mark

anxious2
13-12-12, 19:53
I have read many self help books I like Clare weeks books, and feeling good by David burns.

My favorite book and the one most helpful to me is called ' anxiety free, unravel your fears before they unravel you're it is such a reassuring book and very good for acceptance.

annette1
22-12-12, 06:21
Great books written by Thomas Moore on depression & looking after our souls.
'Care of the Soul'
'Dark nights of the Soul'
I found these two very helpful & read them regularly.

For anyone with PTSD 'Waking the Tiger' is a great read, helped me to understand what was happening during therapy & also how to help myself.

Dave123 4
20-08-16, 15:58
Have just bought this will look forward to reading it. Thanks

jamesgdev
10-01-17, 16:42
Awesome recommendations here :)

dondi
18-08-17, 10:50
Am having problems reading the aforesaid book, admittedly I have concentration problems but the interpretations of greek mythology are losing me completely. I'm on the bit about Narcissus. Does the book get easier to read? Don't know whether to continue or trash

dondi
22-08-17, 06:22
I've read a lot of self help books and quite frankky this one does nothing for me. The meaning is too obscure and the writer's style is boring. Can understand how it was a best seller 25 years ago but far betteq books have comeout since

Olivia K
22-10-17, 22:21
Hi does anyone recommend any for panic attacks and anxiety please? Thanks, Olivia xx

Chick100
30-10-17, 07:19
can anyone recommend some good self help books to read for high anxiety/panic.

it would be greatly appreciated xxxx thank you oh so much xxxxxx

Hi calm.

I can highly recommend " Self help for your nerves" and other stuff by Dr Claire weekes. The books were written a long time ago,in the 60īs I think, so the style of writing is a little old fashioned, but her explanations and helpful advice are fantastic.

I hope you find them so too. Try and get a CD of relaxation exercises from your doctor or mental health group or there are plenty on Youtube. I find the ones where you are talked through body awareness and then clenching and releasing all the muscle groups in your body are the best. It takes practice to get into the exercises but you should soon start to feel the benefits.

Helping oneself is very important and I am glad you are doing your best in the fight too. It all helps xx

Dunkelheinburger
30-10-17, 08:26
Claire Weekes is Queen

Also try The Worry Trick by David Carbonell

---------- Post added at 09:26 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

All the good self help books which have come out since then are essentially Claire Weekes + mindfulness.

Chick100
31-10-17, 07:23
Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway - Susan Jeffers
You Can Heal Your Life - Louise L. Hay
The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook - Edmund J. Bourne
Yesterday I Cried: Celebrating the Lessons of Living and Loving - Iyanla Vanzant

These Claire Weekes audios also help me a lot :yesyes:
http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/Relax.html#HowToRecover

Wishing you well! :hugs:

Dear Serenite.

Thank you so much for posting this link to the Dr Claire weeks audios. I have her books and use them often, but its nice to listen instead of reading, and now I can do this thanks to you. :)

ShirleyYC
02-12-18, 13:18
Thanks so much for the recommendations...