PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

annaj
09-01-11, 12:57
Hello,
I'm 52, mother of four and have had anxiety and OCD symptoms since I was around 14. Don't know what else to say really!

nomorepanic
09-01-11, 12:58
Hi annaj

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Captain Caveman
09-01-11, 21:35
Hi anna. How is your obsessive and compulsive behaviour now, and what have you done/are you doing about sorting it out?

annaj
10-01-11, 10:34
Hi, Captain Caveman,
Not too good at the moment, but lots of stresses here. Am supposed to be taking Sertraline, but panic about that! Used to take amitryptiline, but they won't prescribe it anymore.

Captain Caveman
10-01-11, 10:42
Hi again. Well we'll have to get you better hey:) The website that helped me get better is the one at the end of my post. When I was a kid, I struggled with the more well known observable type compulsions, but in my mid 20's I struggled with the non-observable compulsions. This latter type of obsessive and compulsive behaviour is dubbed "Pure O" (Purely Obsessional- though the person who coined the term is fully aware it's a misnomer and that there are compulsions involved). Anyway, I am not sure what your knowledge is, but prior to reading the following website, I was basically clueless. This website is in my opinion the best out there. Have a read of the links/articles linked at the top also: http://www.ocdonline.com/defineocd.php

annaj
10-01-11, 11:04
Thank you, it makes interesting reading.
I started at about fourteen with ritualistic behaviours, checking the cooker was off, getting to the bus stop, going back, missing the school bus, etc. Various rituals which I managed to break over the years. Now, no significant rituals, it presents more as pure O/Hyperchondriasis.

Earthworm
10-01-11, 11:17
Hi Anna, Firstly a warm welcome to NMP, I'm sure you will find it a great site to be on and get a wealth of info and support. Am interested to learn why they won't prescribe Amitryptiline for you anymore as I am on this drug and have been for 12 months for Anxiety & Panic (I also suffer with mild depression and OCD too).

Captain Caveman
10-01-11, 11:19
For the pure o related stuff, the article on that website to read is: http://www.ocdonline.com/Rethinkingtheunthinkable.php

There are rituals and other negative coping strategies involved in " pure O". Here is some info re that from another website:

"However, it should be noted that the term "Pure Obsessional OCD" is somewhat of a misnomer. While it may at first appear that these individuals experience obsessions without compulsions, a careful assessment almost always uncovers numerous compulsive behaviors, avoidant behaviors, reassurance-seeking behaviors, and "mental compulsions,". These behaviors are not as easily observed as other, more obvious OCD symptoms, such as hand-washing and lock-checking, but they are clearly compulsive responses to unwanted obsessions. Some common examples of compulsions seen in Pure Obsessional OCD include:

avoiding numerous situations in which he or she fears the possible onset of their obsessions
repeatedly asking for reassurance that one has not and/or will not commit an act that he or she perceives as being "wrong" or "bad"
silently praying or repeating certain phrases in an effort to counteract or neutralize thoughts that one considers to be immoral or sacrilegious
performing superstitious behaviors in an effort to ensure that bad things don't happen (i.e., counting, tapping, knocking on wood)
repeatedly confessing to people, even total strangers, that one has had thoughts which he or she considers to be unacceptable
continually ruminating about obsessions in an attempt to prove to oneself that he or she has not done and/or will not do anything inappropriate "
http://www.ocdla.com/obsessionalOCD.html
I know there is a lot to read with those links, but it will get you in the right direction:)

paula lynne
10-01-11, 14:21
Hi Anna, welcome to a great support network, youll find lots of help and support here.x:welcome:

JT69
10-01-11, 15:59
Hi Anna,

Welcome to NMP!! Lots of help and information here from fellow sufferers, helped me enormously when I joined and you make friends along the way.

Hope you find help here.

Jo.xx