PDA

View Full Version : New and in need of advice

Nula
25-03-06, 23:24
Hello everyone, Im new here. My name is Nula and 23yrs old. Ive been suffering from panic attacks for about 2 years.
The first one happened when I was admitted into hospital due to some kidney problems ( I have chronic renal failure)
I did manage to get things under control. But then about 6 weeks ago I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis which is an inner ear problem which makes me constantly dizzy and unstable. This dizziness has bought the panic attacks back on and Im finding it really hard to get them back under control.
Today I had a panic attack which started at 9pm im still left feeling quite short of breath and its now 11:20pm. Ive tried doing the 7/11 breathing excercises and breathing from my diaphragm but I do it for about 2 minutes, convince my self its not working then start to hyperventilate again.

I can breathe but I just cant take a deep breath. Is this a normal symptom of a panic attack, If so how can I over come it? Are there any other breathing excersises I can do?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Nula
xxx

katyfitz
25-03-06, 23:33
im poisitive this is a classic symptom. u know what i too get constant lightheadednes and have done for the past 6 months but my doc put it down to the anxiety. can u tell me what feeling dizzy is like? because im not sure if dizzy and lightheaded are alike x

weepinky
25-03-06, 23:34
Hi Nula

Sorry you to hear you have had such a bad time.

Do you have a brown paper bag to breath into? If not then try and do the 7/11 breathing - you will have to do this for longer than 2 mins hun - keep it going till you feel calmer - as long as this takes.

Don't try to take really deep breaths, as this is really hard during anxiety.

One of my first symptoms of anxiety was inner ear/balance and dizziness problems so this could all be related.

Hope you feel better soon, let us know how it goes

Take Care

Love :DPinky:D

Karen
25-03-06, 23:37
Hi Nula

Welcome to the forum. This sounds like classic anxiety/panic to me.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Breathing technique
How Do You Do The Breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4042)
Breathing.. wow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4037)
Breathing Techniques (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4044)
CONTROLLED BREATHING (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5041)
Working to get better, have a few Q's to ask... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5412)
Insatiable Mouth / Chest Breather???? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7113)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Nula
25-03-06, 23:54
Thank you all for your quick replies. The problem I have with the 7/11 breathing is I breathe in to 7 fine but breathing out to 11 is quite tough as I have no breath left, and after a few tries it leaves me feeling quite light headed.
Is it ok to just do the diaphragm breathing without breathing to a certain number of seconds.

Katyf by dizziness, I mean the room is turing and I am being pulled one way or another. I usually fall to the left when I am walking. Its there from when I wake up to when I go to bed.
Light headedness I describe as feeling a little woozy or fuzzy in the head, Not sure if that makes anysense:D

Im currently listening to some classical music to see if this will help relax and calm me down. Ive also taken a diazepam but it has not helped.

Thanks again for your quick responses
Nula
xxx

Quirky
26-03-06, 00:05
Hi Nula,

I suffer breathing problems too, I actually have chronic hyperventilation syndrome and can have weeks of not being able to breathe as you describe.
Not being able to take a deep breath is a classic hyperventilation/panic sign.
It's quite common not to be able to breathe out for 11 breaths, that is quite a long time for anyone that's panicking. It's also common for people when anxious to be able to breathe in for longer than they breathe out. You can do the breathing without counting at all, ideally the out breath will be slightly longer though but don't worry if it's not for now. If you want to count you could try 4/6 or whatever works for you. You don't have to count though, just try and make sure you are breathing from the diaphram and not the upper chest. Also try and slow your breathing down if it is too fast. It can take alot of practise and is hard to put into place when you are anxious so it's best to work on your breathing when not anxious too. I hope this helps, alot of it is what my breathing therapist has told me.

Lisa

weepinky
26-03-06, 00:07
try and keep it going Nula, as long as your breath out is longer than your breath in it should still help.

Your doing all the right things and it will pass.

Love Pinky

sal
26-03-06, 00:11
Hi Nula

How you feel is common with anxiety but not nice and we all know that. We are all here for you and understand how hard it gets but you are by no means on your own.

Control will come again and you will be stronger once you regain that. It takes time and understanding and realising that you are not alone which you arent.

Here to support you hun.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Nula
26-03-06, 00:16
Thank you all so much for your support and advice, I think you all know how much it means to me right now.
Ive tried alot of panic forums but have not come across one like this before.

Thank you for all for your advice. I look forward to getting to know everyone and trying to help others.

Nula
xxx

sal
26-03-06, 00:17
And we look forward to getting to know you and helping you hun.

You are not alone.

Thinking about you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

trac67
26-03-06, 10:42
Hi Nula,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

jackie
26-03-06, 11:30
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=reading

hi nula

welcome to the site. you are not alone with these panic attacks and general anxiety. i was just wondering had you read up on your symptoms. there is a great book that describes them to a T its called " self help for your nerves" by claire weekes. it mentions the inability to take a deep breath and how common but frightening it is.

this book is really second to none in my eyes. it is available from the site above but also from good book stores.

hope you enjoy this site and feel less alone with it
jackie

Alexandra
26-03-06, 15:12
Hi Nula

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Meg
26-03-06, 19:20
Nula

Are you dialysing or not yet ? Might you be a touch overloaded ?

It will take longer than the two minutes of slow breathing to bring you back to normal

Learning yoga can help teach you breath control .

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

sal
27-03-06, 01:20
Hi Nula how are you?

Love Sal xx

Nula
27-03-06, 10:47
Thank you all for your advice and support.
Jackie, thank you for the info on the book, Il take a look.
Meg Im not on dialysis yet, My nephrologist doesnt seem too concerned about the panic attacks.

Thank you sal for asking how I am. Im not doing too bad, Ive been practising my breathing exercises. I have a GP appointment today and Im getting a little anxious about it. Im currently trying to calm myself down, but as you know sometimes its really hard.
Thank you all again for your support and advice[^]
Nula

MrsCluggy
27-03-06, 11:47
Hi Nula :D

Welcome to this site. You certainly have got a wealth of advice and support, which is just what you need.

When I have a panic attack, and I am at home, I find that my breathing gets more controlled if I am lying down and I place my hands on my stomach and just breath in through my nose and give a huge out breath through my mouth. Just the motion of my stomach going up and down and the noise of my out breath really let me focus and eventually I calm down and my breathing is back to normal. Obviously, lying down isn't really practical if you are driving or on a bus or whatever, but the technique can be used just the same.

The dizziness from your ears can't really help the situation can it, that's why I think if you lay down and put your feet up and just gave your body that extra 15 minutes to relax, I think you would find it beneficial.

Likewise, what Jackie mentioned, the Claire Weekes book SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES is just terrific. It really hits the spot on your problems and, if you are like me, you'll be nodding with recognition all the way through the book at what Claire describes. It really does feel as if the book was written for you specifically and is a damn good read.

Take care sweetie and keep breathing !

Jackie xx

If the opportunity doesn't knock .... build a door.

Ma Larkin
27-03-06, 13:32
Hi Nula, I'm afraid I can't cope at all with the breathing when having a panic attack. At home I have a paper bag & in public I cup my hands over my mouth. I too struggle with the long breath out so I just try to breathe out longer than I breathe in. Could you increase your Diazepam? I find Diazepam really helps me when I'm at my worst.

Hope you found the advice you were looking for from the many replies you've received.

Take care.

Les, xx

Paddington
27-03-06, 13:52
hi nula ,soz you are havin such a nasty panic.I too have always struggled with 7/11 breathin.i just breath slowly as i can!BUT,what i found was that it is the counting that helps the panic attack???Honest!When we count,slowly methodically,we use a different part of the brain,so the panic subsides!So now whenever i feel panic comin on i count ,things , maybe books on a shelf or just in my head ,or steps ,walking up the garden or anywhee.I choose a number [say2 0]and count slowly whilst stepping i t out!AND IT WORKS EVERY TIME!!Try it Nula,it may help.Oh hello by the way!love mary-rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore