PDA

View Full Version : neck and shoulders.

sandy40
10-01-11, 17:13
My neck and shoulders hurt alot,is anyone the same?My ribs ache too..im really worried..i see a psychiatrist for the first time on wed as my GP says its anxiety?

judipat
10-01-11, 18:34
Yes - definately anxiety.
Try to conciously drop your shoulders - without even realising it, they are probably up around your ears right now!!!!. The tension in your shoulders goes up into your neck and with me, usually results in a headache. The pain in your ribs is also most likely to be muscular due to prolonged tension in the muscles in that area.
Relaxation tapes are good - have you tried them??

gaaron
10-01-11, 19:00
Hi,I agree with judipat. I've found that simple (very) pilates stretching helps me with the tension stuff in the back. I lie on my back when doing it and concentrate on the breathing whilst stretching gently. Good luck xx

sandy40
10-01-11, 19:39
Thanks..i do have a relaxation tape but i find as soon as it finishes im all stressed again,when i drop my shoulders and relax..it feels weird then they go up again.

gaaron
10-01-11, 19:48
I'm definitely with you on that! And trying to keep those shoulders down..I actually didn't get on with relaxation tapes because I thought I should be relaxing. The pilates thing really started because I have a prob with my lower back, but I know the upper/ribs is stress. So whilst I was doing the stretches, I realised I was calmer. I'm still at early stages (as in shoulders down), just have to keep reminding myself and do a couple of stretches. x

judipat
10-01-11, 20:24
It probably does feel wierd because you have been in a tense state for a while now and when you relax, it feels wierd - thats normal. The trick is to try and relax your body (and mind) and much as you can and whatever bodily sensations you get - ignor them.
If you dont like relaxation tapes, try music, anything - and then just concentrate on your breathing and relaxing your body. It takes a bit of doing, but it will work

sandy40
10-01-11, 20:43
When i relax them i get a pain across them,do you think my ribs are sore because ive got my shoulders at ear level most of the time so my ribs get stretched and sore too or im i being daft thinking that?

gaaron
10-01-11, 20:50
sandy40, you're not being daft. My ribs felt as if I'd been kicked (not been kicked, just a thought). Yes, there is a pain across shoulders/ribs, bruise/sharp. Mine are like that now, but I know I should go and do the exercises. I think it's a matter of finding something that helps x