PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and suicide

westofengland
10-01-11, 23:38
However bad we feel I think we should be proud that we come here on to this site and try to get help for the sake of our families
Bottling it up and NOT getting treatment can literally kill you. I read a sad story today of a builder (aged only 42) who took his own life as he was worried he'd been exposed to asbestos after reading some health and safety leaflet. He was convinced he'd contaminated his kids too.

Poor guy. I suffer a lot from similar anxieties though I am not a builder (I'd be the world's worst!) I think what killed him was the uncertainty that he might get ill from asbestos one day, but actually, we are all in that boat - any of us could get struck down by disease and we can never be 100% sure about our health over the next 20 or 30 years

What's sad is that by taking his life, he DID die from asbestos, so it become self fulfilling. If treatment had worked for him and he'd learned to live with some uncertainty and anxiety, he'd probably have been OK (not everyone who's exposed to asbestos gets the bad diseases)

something to think about anyway