PDA

View Full Version : How long does propranolol take to work

anx mum
11-01-11, 14:31
Started propranolol today as my pulse was racing due to anxiety already my pulse has slowed down does it work that quick. Has it helped anyone else with panic anxiety?

mrsf
11-01-11, 14:38
Hi
I have taken Propranolol and it does work incredibly quickly:) I now take slow release capsules and find that they are just as good.x

gypsywomen
11-01-11, 14:44
they are good very quick to work

anx mum
11-01-11, 14:51
Hi
I have taken Propranolol and it does work incredibly quickly:) I now take slow release capsules and find that they are just as good.x

does it help with anxiety too?

unfitwellhappy
11-01-11, 16:20
I only started mine yesterday. Seems to be taking away the physical anxiety, but not the mental.

BUT...

Because i'm not shaking, sweating, feeling like my chest is going to explode, I can generally focus more on taking my mind off it.

Good things so far :)

anx mum
11-01-11, 16:22
I only started mine yesterday. Seems to be taking away the physical anxiety, but not the mental.

BUT...

Because i'm not shaking, sweating, feeling like my chest is going to explode, I can generally focus more on taking my mind off it.

Good things so far :)

Yeah started mine today u on 80mg? Do u feel better so far?

unfitwellhappy
11-01-11, 16:28
I am certainly able to be a bit more focussed and a bit more accepting and rational towards my fears (what i felt was driving my anxiety)..

So yeah.. I would say it's working to an extent.. I'm not expecting miracles from them and i'm only on 40mg once a day while I adjust to my increase in SSRI, but it's all good so far.

Apart from day 1... was like getting hit with a wall of "sleep" and then when I went to bed, couldn't sleep... luckily I had a super drowsy anti-hystamine to hand.

For the first time in a while today though I didn't wake up before my alarm went off, which is 100% progress

Andy

Hazel B
11-01-11, 19:33
They worked within 20 minutes for me and lasted 4-5 hours each time. They calmed my pulse and helped me to be more rational and less jittery and scared all the time.

Del1970
13-01-11, 10:21
I think they are a brilliant tablet because they work so quickly, I think once they have helped the physical symptoms your mind rests a bit easier anyway, I was going through major panic the other week, thought I was going to die but Propranolol worked for me, i'm allowed to take upto 80mg a day but i'm glad to say i've been fine for a good two weeks and not had to take any:yesyes: Hope you feeling better soon too Anx Mum x

needhope
20-08-14, 07:32
Hi - I am new to this forum.

I have never tried Propranolol as i don't get racing heartbeat etc. i simply get nausea and feeling like I will vomit...although I don't vomit but every single time I think this will be the time.

Anyway, if this blocks the adrenaline will it actually help with this nausea ?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

xBettyBoopx
21-08-14, 03:08
Hi - I am new to this forum.

I have never tried Propranolol as i don't get racing heartbeat etc. i simply get nausea and feeling like I will vomit...although I don't vomit but every single time I think this will be the time.

Anyway, if this blocks the adrenaline will it actually help with this nausea ?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

:welcome: Needhope. This thread was started in 2011 so I don't know if you'll get any replies:wacko: Please start a thread of your own as most people won't see this.

Els

danny_pop
20-06-17, 08:29
Appreciate this is an old thread but if you are reading this I have the same symptoms as you - not a racing heart but stomach churning first thing in the morning and worried I would be sick or pass out. Train commute is a worry especially in the scorching heat (30 degrees today!).
Today is only the second time I have taken propranolol. I took half a tablet (40mg) and it has really calmed me down; very noticeable and super quick within 20 mins or so. I am SOOOO pleased to have found this drug, I have suffered with anxiety for 3 years now and it gets in the way of my work etc- I am a young professional in a very stressful job. Hope this works for others too- have others had a similar experience?