PDA

View Full Version : ciggarette and anxiety

dc100
11-01-11, 13:35
Hi,

I currently smoke and i notice my anxiety gets really bad and i end up in a cycle where it get worst then i end up smoking more and thats makes my anxiety even worst does anyone suffer with this, i get really stress and spaced out and feel like im losing control does anyone have any tips

mtatum4496
11-01-11, 14:03
You are in a vicious circle in which your nerves go crazy for nicotine but at the same time the nicotine is keeping your system out of whack and causing anxiety. Bottom line, you need to quit, but I don't recommend trying to do it on your own. Talk to your doctor about a prescription for bupropion (Wellbutrin and several other brand names). It can help balance your nerves and also help ease the nicotine cravings, giving you a fighting chance to not only wean off the nicotine but also steady your nerves so the underlying anxiety also begins to fade out.

As a bonus - think of the nice steak dinner you can treat yourself to once you no longer have to buy cigarettes!

Dahlia
11-01-11, 14:32
Nicotine is a stimulant. By that, I mean it makes physiological changes to your body, for example it makes your heart beat faster. Often people with anxiety are highly aware of sensations in their body, and unfortunately a stimulant can mimic anxiety symptoms. Adding a stimulant to an already anxious mind/body = doubly whammy of anxiety!

I personally wouldn't go down the Wellbutrin/Zyban meds route, as I have seen a lot of people with anxiety, whose anxiety went through the roof using this med. It's quite a stimulating anti-depressant. Your best bet might be to try cutting down first before quitting - this is what I am doing. I also will never touch a cigarette when I am particularly anxious, as I know it makes me more anxious. Often in these circumstances I realise I have gone 6 hours without one and not missed it.

Dahlia

zinadinpeterson
17-01-11, 13:11
I suffer from anxiety, panic / and my doctor told me that smoking and caffeine can cause anxiety to enter. He told me to stop the two, but I cut the caffeine does not seem to quit smoking, you can not burn during an attack, but during the transition seems to be calm, even if the heart is the heart beat faster.