PDA

View Full Version : Can anxiety and stress lead to psychosis

dc100
11-01-11, 14:57
one of my biggest fears is that i will lose control and go mad - i know i really suffer with stress and anxiety but can this lead to psychosis - i get myself into a right state sometimes with stress and anxiety and im scared i will go over the edge

I have never lost control or started hearing things etc so dont know why i worry about it so much

harasgenster
11-01-11, 15:02
Hi. Worrying about this is common for people with anxiety but the answer is no, absolutely not. They are very different disorders.

loveletter
11-01-11, 16:25
I have thought so many times the same as you.
But have suffered now with stress and anxiety for 24 years and it has not led to psychosis yet
I think the 2 are very different

LucyR
11-01-11, 17:34
Hi, No, I don't think so, although that is always in the back of our minds.

dc100
11-01-11, 20:35
your right it is in the back of my mind every time i get anxious that the first thing i really worry about

westofengland
11-01-11, 22:54
I know what you mean, and sympathise. I worry about going psychotic too, i kind of visualise my stresses and anxieties and worry they'll literally take me over and I'll go nuts. I have self harmed too
I think the worry about going crazy is another form of health anxiety, and CBT can give you tools to deal with it - recognise it as just a worrying thought, etc.
Anxiety and stress can take you right to the edge, but it doesn't mean you are going to end up on a psychiatric unit.
When I feel myself going really crazy I go for a run, and although I have sore calves (another source of worry!) I feel much calmer afterwards. And I can feel my grief and shame about things which have caused me to self harm

harasgenster
12-01-11, 13:22
I know what you mean, and sympathise. I worry about going psychotic too, i kind of visualise my stresses and anxieties and worry they'll literally take me over and I'll go nuts. I have self harmed too
I think the worry about going crazy is another form of health anxiety, and CBT can give you tools to deal with it - recognise it as just a worrying thought, etc.
Anxiety and stress can take you right to the edge, but it doesn't mean you are going to end up on a psychiatric unit.
When I feel myself going really crazy I go for a run, and although I have sore calves (another source of worry!) I feel much calmer afterwards. And I can feel my grief and shame about things which have caused me to self harm

Hi
Have you seen a doctor about the self-harming? I think this is normally related to depression rather than anxiety (although the two are connected).

I used to self harm when I was a teenager but found that I stopped when I changed anti depressant. I think it's called Seroxat the thing I was on - it was in the news soon after because it could cause people to self harm etc. Think it was the reason in my case because I didn't feel like self harming before or after I was on it, even if I felt really bad.

Just a heads up in case it could help. If you tell your doctor about the self harming he might consider ADs (if you're not on them) or changing AD. It may also be important for your doctor to know that you are suffering from depression as well as anxiety if he doesn't already.