PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus from flatmates?

adamant
11-01-11, 15:41
Hi

I just want to say sorry if I dont reply to every answer but I am truly grateful for any input. Its just once ive read a few replies I prob wont be back to post for a while as i find it induced my anxiety. But I amthankful for everyones responce :)

I live in a house with 5 people. 1 was vomiting last Wednesday. He thinks it is norovirus. Not proven though.

My other flatmate who was in contact with him when he was being sick was complaining of feeling rough all over the weekend and having acid refluxes in his stomach.

Now today my other flatmate said hes not coming to class because he feels really ill.

Ive been here since Sunday night. Im really scared of catching it. Ive been washing my hands constantly, not touching door handles or utensils they have touched etc, Ive not rubbed by eyes or put my fingers in my mouth. My health anxiety is at an all time high I think.

Do I have a high chance of contsacting the virus? Even if it is norovirus that is. Dont hospital staff come in to contact with it all the time and surely they manage to avoid it on most occasions?

Thanks for any reasurrence.

Lissy43
11-01-11, 17:44
Hand washing is the key!

Didn't you say you were vomiting last week? So maybe you've already had it?

Lissy43
11-01-11, 17:45
Sorry just tlread it was one of your flat mares.

Just wash your hands and use handgel aswell if concerned.

miss_moose
11-01-11, 17:53
Just because your flatmates are ill it doesn't mean you will be too, like Larna said washing your hands is key,but can i just add, that hand gel doesn't protect against the Norovirus, or atleast it didn't 2 years ago when they reported it on the news.

Wipe door handles, tv remotes, taps ect with detol wipes and keep away from them as much as you can.

Try to make sure they are using bleach to clean anything up too.

I completely understand your health anxiety, i'm exactly the same.

:hugs:

adamant
11-01-11, 19:45
Thanks everyone for the replies.

No touch wood I havent been ill yet. 1 Flatmate had it Wednesday night and he is now better. A second flatmate had it a day later (probably becuase he was in contact with the first flatmate when he was being sick, Ive heard you can catch it that way). Then the third flatmate had it come on suddenly today. He has been sharing food with the first person to catch it so maybe that is why. They have all been in contact with the original carrier since he got it.

I have only been in contact with the virus 4 days after the first guy was sick, apart from the one who has had it today.

I dont know if this has any relevance to this virus but I go to the gym and exercise regulary, take multivitimins and eat lots of fruit. I drink a yakult every morning and have an activia yoghurt at lunch. I know they have nothing on this virus but could they benifit me in any slight way of having a healthy diet?

Ive just bought some dettol wipes now.

Really scared about catching it. Its like Im playing a waiting game. And thanks miss_moose. Is it definitly true that there is a possibility I might not get it just because they have? I always thought norovirus everyone in the house would get it or is that just my health anxiety running wild?

Thanks

Lissy43
11-01-11, 23:06
I was in contact with this often last year on the wards and I was ok. As a nurse we were taught how to hand wash as it really does protect you.

You need to wash your hands regular, and try and avoid close contact.

I had the norovirus last month and my family didn't catch it, even my 3 children.

adamant
12-01-11, 13:46
Thanks Larna :yesyes:

Health anxiety is still in overdrive with it all. Managed to go to morning class and hand in an assignment today though. I feel sick but I cant be sure its this or just my anxiety running away with me.

Praying I dont catch it.

adamant
12-01-11, 14:17
Could I just quickly ask. How quickly does it come on.

As in I am supposed to be going to view a new house later and if it comes on will I have enough time to run out of the house to be sick or is it INSTANT.

Thanks

JaneC
12-01-11, 14:20
Adam, you could try getting some Motilium from a chemist - it should take away the nausea whatever is causing it x

adamant
16-01-11, 22:15
Hi

Thanks Jane. I will have to get some of that.

Sorry to bump this but I came home on the weekend (still hadn't been ill since living in the house for 6 days now) The last person to come down with the virus was on Wednesday.

I was due to go back to my Uni home tonight but half hour before leaving I had an awful pain in my stomach and have since had a slight case of diarrhea.

Would you say it is norovirus or just a coincidence as I still have an appetite. Would I have an appetite if it was norovirus? The bad stomach is the only symptom I have experienced so far *touch wood* and it has sort of eased up after an hour or two.

With norovirus, when the symptoms hit you, are they with you for the whole duration?

Im just looking to justify my bad stomach.

Thanks for any advice!