PDA

View Full Version : upping dose

ems43
12-01-11, 20:23
Hi there, i started on sertraline a week ago on Monday, initially at 50mg and now increased this week to 100mg. I was concerned this was a bit quik, but my psychiatrist thought that 50mg wouldn't have much effect on my anxiety as I had previously been o quite a high dose of another medication ( mirtazipine). But since going up, I have noticed a lo more side effects, feeling very sick, spaced out, derealisation, increased anxiety and insomnia. Has anyone else increased there dose this quickk? I have some diazapn to get me through initial start up if needed and was trying not to take them but caved in earlier and took one. x

OliveOil
13-01-11, 14:15
When I tried to go on Sertraline prior to this run, I didn't start small and work up. The doc just had me go right in at 50. I. Was. Miserable. Headaches, insomnia... and I swear that I got sick when I quit them after only 4 days. So, I could see how you're feeling it.

This time I started out low and have been taking Clonazepam along with it to help fight the insomnia and start-up anxiety. It has helped, but I'm ready to be off the Clonazepam. If you have the Diazapam to help get you through, don't feel bad about taking it if it helps. And I wouldn't feel bad about going to 75 for a couple weeks before jumping to 100. That's a HUGE bump up in a short period of time. Too huge in my opinion (not being a psychiatrist, of coarse). I'd touch base back with him and tell him/her that you're miserable. See if you can stay at 50 for a longer period-- see if it even works for you.

ems43
14-01-11, 18:23
Hi olive oil, thanks for reply. Spoke to psychiatrist today and he said to drop down to 75, have done that for last two days now and feel a little better xx

Tinkrebel
15-01-11, 23:16
I take 100mg a day, and had really bad side effects when I first started, but am fine now. I take 50mg in the morning and again at night and the side effects reduced then. I was also taking diazepam because of increased anxiety attacks, but they have now pretty much stopped :)