PDA

View Full Version : Really worried about MND again because of Oxidative Stress

Eggy
13-01-11, 15:31
When i went to the dentist today they said that i am suffering from Oxidative Stress, They said possible causes of that is things like Sleep Apnea.

But after looking up Oxidative Stress i have read that it can be down to things like:-

Motor Neurone Disease
Alzheimer's Disease
Parkinson's Disease

I managed to stop worrying a little about MND but now i am really worried about it again.

nomorepanic
13-01-11, 15:57
Never heard of that one Eggy. How did they diagnose it?

You have seen the neurologist though and he gave you the all clear didn't he?

Eggy
13-01-11, 16:11
Never heard of that one Eggy. How did they diagnose it?

You have seen the neurologist though and he gave you the all clear didn't he?

They diagnosed it by looking in my mouth and at my tonsils.

I've never seen a Neurologist.

ladybird64
13-01-11, 16:14
Eggy, this is diagnosed by taking a small blood sample.

I don't see how they can diagnose it by looking at your teeth and tonsils? :shrug:

nomorepanic
13-01-11, 17:54
Have they suggested what you need to do now about it Eggy?

Eggy
13-01-11, 18:30
They told me to go and see my GP.

Nigel
13-01-11, 18:49
Hi Eggy,

I don’t understand all this medical stuff but just looked at the start of the Wikipedia page and it says: “In humans, oxidative stress is involved in many diseases...”

Note the words ‘involved in’, not ‘caused by’. Also, it says ‘many diseases’, most of which are probably not as serious as the few you’re focusing on here. So try not to worry about it.

“I managed to stop worrying a little about MND but now i am really worried about it again.”

That’s great to hear – well done! :yesyes:
How did you feel during that time when you stopped worrying about it a little? I guessing that some of the symptoms lessened a bit too. There could be a very important and encouraging link in there somewhere... :winks:

Take care :)
Nigel

JaneC
13-01-11, 21:21
Interesting, Eggy, I had never heard of this but I see this has been linked to chronic fatigue syndrome too - as well as many other things. I'd be interested to hear what your doc has to say. To me it seems like yet another thing which can only be treated with (sometimes rather expensive) supplements which you can't get on prescription, sigh.

paula lynne
13-01-11, 22:15
It is interesting Jane. Antioxidant supplementation seems to have significantly helped those with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in the several trials Ive read, so its treatable.
As you say, often the patient has to pay privately and thats a shame.

speeder
14-01-11, 02:32
Hi Eggy

I don't know much about oxidative stress BUT wouldn't you know by now if you had mnd? Haven't you had symptoms for ages?

A friend of mine has it and it does progress quickly, bless his soul. Once you love the muscle power it doesn't come back.

I don't know what you have - it's probably nothing - but it doesn't sound like MND!

take care