PDA

View Full Version : Changing therapists

ladybird64
14-01-11, 12:40
Yep, another of my "I was wondering" posts..:winks:

I don't know a heck of a lot about therapy in general but always read the posts here and try and glean some information.

I have seen posts quite often where the OP is not seeing eye to eye with the therapist and they have been advised to change to someone else.

I should imagine that this is a simple choice if paying privately but what about if it's NHS? There seem to be loooong waiting lists for therapists as it is so can you just say"I'm not happy with.."?

Would you need to go back to the beginning again and go on the waiting list if you want to see someone else?

End of questions, ta very much :flowers:

suzy-sue
14-01-11, 13:22
Id give it a fair go .But if I thought it wasnt helping me or even making me worse .Id tell the therapist how I FELT .depending on the reply .Id then review the situation .If they made some effort to address what I wasnt happy with Id give it another go .If not I d stop going and go back on the waiting list .Simples ...Pointless waste of time if it isnt helping .But you do need to realise Therapy isnt always pleasant and you have to endure some uncomfortable feeling s to get to the root of your problems ..Sue x

Magic
14-01-11, 19:06
Hi Ladybird, I think the answer to your question is yes. NHS!!!!!!! A relation of mine went to see GP with a shoulder problem, she was given a telephone number,she rang it and was told what exercises to do over the phone!!! GOOD LUCK x

Hazel B
14-01-11, 21:42
I was lucky, I had money to go private and the lady I researched online was great from the start. She would have recommended a colleague if we hadn't got on so well.

I'm not sure how the NHS process works, but I'm sure you're entitled to ask for another person if it's not working out, though the waiting list for me in Berkshire would have been 18 weeks!

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 21:54
I was lucky, I had money to go private and the lady I researched online was great from the start. She would have recommended a colleague if we hadn't got on so well.

I'm not sure how the NHS process works, but I'm sure you're entitled to ask for another person if it's not working out, though the waiting list for me in Berkshire would have been 18 weeks!It took me a long time for cbt on nhs

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 21:57
I was initially told I was having a male therapist on the NHS. At the beginning of the 8 month wait I had specifically requested a female therapist, so was a bit annoyed when 8 months later they said it would be a male. I called and said I wanted a female - luckily one was free, but yes I would have waited if not.

I can't say what I would do if I hadn't got on with my NHS therapists, they were both very good.

DahliaIm on sertraline but not working

missy007
14-01-11, 22:14
Hi LB

I don't know what you think about massage therapy. I recently did a course in it - a case of healer heal thyself - if you were interested try your local college for massage therapy at very reduced or free treatments

:)

ladybird64
14-01-11, 22:56
Hiya all, thanks for your replies.

This isn't actually for my benefit, I have never really had therapy and don't feel comfortable with the idea at all but am interested in what is actually available.

As we all know there are a lot of posts about meds/therapy which Im not getting into here.

I have however seen that patients don't always gel with the therapists they do get and often there is such a long wait before people get seen I wondered what the procedure was..if they would have to start again from scratch or get a rapid referral.

I must admit that your post has got me thinking Missy, I am looking into different forms of relaxation and such, only thing is I have so little time nowadays. It would be nice though..:)

KK77
15-01-11, 00:04
I would think it depends on the area you live in (the relevant Trust), your circumstances and whether there was another available therapist that could continue from where the other left off - perhaps employing a different strategy if the problem wasn't a clash of personalities. They may even conclude that that line of therapy isn't suited to your needs and refer you to another form of therapist - or heavens forbid a psychiatrist who may prescribe meds :scared15:

yvonne_uk_98
15-01-11, 00:15
Where I go for help, I can change therapist without needing to go on any waiting list.