PDA

View Full Version : Coping with industrial estates

graham58
14-01-11, 14:51
Hi! I know this sounds like a weird one, but does anyone else have problems with the new industrial estates which seem to be springing up everywhere on the outskirts of towns, are designed seemingly with the car owner / user in mind and offer little or no comfort for the pedestrian?

I had an appointment today with someone at one of these estates and I found it very hard going; whilst I was pretty much OK when I was on the estate itself, I found it very hard to cope with the fast-moving traffic (cars, vans, lorries etc.) and the lack of pedestrian facilities.

I had to go back to the offices for a break after about 20 minutes as I was feeling ill with nerves - my head felt almost like it was turning to ice - and the wind chill didn't help either as the site is near the top of a hill. At least they had a bus stop nearby though, whereas others I've seen haven't.

I should point out that I have poor eyesight, which doesn't help when traffic is bearing down on you without a pavement to walk on.

Thanks for reading this,

Graham .

t0rt01se36
14-01-11, 16:11
Hello Graham.

In the past, I have felt nervous about walking on path next to a busy road, towards a Shopping area.

I just try to focus on what shopping I need to do.

Also waiting to cross roads joining a roundabout, I find a bit too much to cope with.

graham58
16-01-11, 09:59
Hi Ju Ann, and thanks for replying. The thing is, being nervous of traffic isn't a phobia - it's a very real fear, because traffic is dangerous.

I can just about cope if I'm walking on a pavement alongside fast moving traffic (I do what you do, focus on where I need to go and what I'm going to do) but walking along the side of the road with no protection from the traffic defeats me. Standing at a bus stop with a lot of fast moving and noisy traffic also seems to "wear me down" for some reason, especially if the traffic involves large vehicles such as lorries and buses etc.

Mazzmate
16-01-11, 11:39
Hi Graham, I agree with everything you say, the traffic is just one big rush, zooming past, noisy, dirty, aggressive even, I find being in the situation you describe equally disconcerting, it does make me feel stressed. Don't like it at all. Wonder why everyone seems to be in such a rush.
:blush: