PDA

View Full Version : how can i get past this obsession with my heart

s11fyx
14-01-11, 21:47
i have a obsession with my heart since my dad died

i check it all the time i dont like to feel it beat if i stand up and feel it beat (which i know is normal) i panic

ive had 2 echos a 24 hr monitor 6 ecgs and they are all clear i only had a echo 2 months ago and i still think theres something worng

i suffer with andernaline flushed caused by me panicing and its wearing me out and upsetting me how can i move on? x

Captain Caveman
14-01-11, 21:53
Hi s11fyx. I too used to be obsessed with my heart. After constantly seeking reassurance that all was well only to doubt it, I eventually realised I needed to start taking some risks and accept that I can never be 100% sure. So instead of checking and stopping to monitor it etc.. I would suggest you carry on accept the chance that something may be wrong or you may end up having a heart attack if you keep running or whatever. It's scary and exausting. But it's the best LONG TERM solution. Now I'm fine with my heart.

s11fyx
14-01-11, 21:57
thanks im going to try that im only 23 and have a young baby and its just wrecking everything

glad things are better for you

did you find it hard at 1st to push through? i can feel my self wanting to check my heart all the time i need to fine domething else to do with my hands x

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 22:04
thanks im going to try that im only 23 and have a young baby and its just wrecking everything

did you find it hard at 1st to push through? i can feel my self wanting to check my heart all the time i need to fine domething else to do with my hands xThis is my fear heart as i do have heart problem Makes anxiety worse

Alex_r240
14-01-11, 22:04
This is how i feel, worried i am going to have a heart attack. at night it is worse because i can sit and feel it. i am always wondering in my head what can happen, but it just makes it worse!

Captain Caveman
14-01-11, 22:07
Thanks.

did you find it hard at 1st to push through? i can feel my self wanting to check my heart all the time i need to fine domething else to do with my hands x

Absoulety it was hard. It's always hardest at the beginning. But all journeys begin with a first step. You won't just change your mentality overnight. It'll likely be a 2 steps fowards 1 step back deal. It will be exausting too, coz facing your fear takes a lot out of you. But the long term results are worth it.

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 22:12
i have a obsession with my heart since my dad died

i check it all the time i dont like to feel it beat if i stand up and feel it beat (which i know is normal) i panic

ive had 2 echos a 24 hr monitor 6 ecgs and they are all clear i only had a echo 2 months ago and i still think theres something worng

i suffer with andernaline flushed caused by me panicing and its wearing me out and upsetting me how can i move on? x
Had echo friday 7 jan worried again sunday keep checking blood presure but not as much

s11fyx
14-01-11, 22:19
Had echo friday 7 jan worried again sunday keep checking blood presure but not as much

im the same my worry goes for a week or twon then its back

as some one else said its worse when im sat around because i can feel it in my back my gp tells me its normal but before i had anixety i can remember weather i could or couldnt feel it x

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 22:30

im the same my worry goes for a week or twon then its back

as some one else said its worse when im sat around because i can feel it in my back my gp tells me its normal but before i had anixety i can remember weather i could or couldnt feel it xBecause of problem with my heart its hard to focus off this chest pain has been a problem for 2 years but cbt is starting to work

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 22:35
Never been on here before tonight

s11fyx
14-01-11, 22:41
Never been on here before tonight

i get chest pain but its caused by muscle as i hold my self so tense thats why i had my klast echo to prove to me there was nothing wrong

i dont use here much always forget to log on but everyone is really help ful x

Frozen in fear
14-01-11, 22:57
i get chest pain but its caused by muscle as i hold my self so tense thats why i had my klast echo to prove to me there was nothing wrong

i dont use here much always forget to log on but everyone is really help ful x

notice chest pain when resting i was a happy go lucky person but i did drink abit stoped drinking now all this anxiety has hit me

angelica1414
15-01-11, 02:37
my main health concern has always been about my heart also, iv suffered with this for over 21 years now, im still here....well in body not sure about mind!:blush: mine is so bad if something is on tv or radio about it i can not watch or listern, it took a lot to open this post because of the title, but i knew it would be exactly what i suffer with ........ i do hope you can move on from this, dont let it run your life as it has mine your young and have so much to look forward to, i wish id learnt to control it when i was your age xx

ZMan
15-01-11, 03:44
I'm a 19 year old guy - and strangely for a 19 year old student - I do not smoke, do not drink or do any drugs other than caffeine lol.

One time I raised my heart concerns with a doctor and she 100% maintained, willing to put her career on it etc. that I was far too healthy to have heart problems, this was reassuring.

However, what gets me is 'undiagnosed heart problems' - you know those ones you hear of occasionally where a healthy person with a heart defect they may have had their entire life just collapses and dies as a result. It probably wouldn't worry me so much but my friend told me the story of a boy at his school aged 18 who was a healthy fit guy who was at school one day and died in his sleep that night because of such a condition. Now, the thought of such a condition terrifies me but I try not to worry about.

Do you want to know the best way I have of 'overcoming' this fear? By thinking and then telling myself "If I have such a condition then no point worrying about it now, if it happens it happens and I'll worry about it then" - it's a bit morbid but was honestly the best way.

s11fyx
21-01-11, 20:50
thanks for replying

i know its my mind thats making things worse and only me who can change its like a obsession

i to can listen to anything to do ith hearts or watch it on the tv
whars most stupid is ive had the tests to check my heart has no underlying problems and it doesnt but i still worry its like i think there lying x

westofengland
22-01-11, 01:05
"How can I get past this obsession with my heart?"

Good question. Maybe by reminding yourself the problem is not your heart, it's anxiety ABOUT your heart (not the same thing at all). And the more you feed this anxiety through checking and tests, the bigger it will get in your mind?

The more heart tests and checking you go for, the less chance you will get control of the anxiety

I say this with compassion, as I don't worry about my heart (even though I probably drink too much and am under tons of stress) but I do worry about other health issues. And I can see the similarities

You also have to try to accept the fact that nobody - or no test - can guarantee you will NEVER drop dead of a heart attack. But if your current test are fine, and you are taking steps to take care of your heart, there's no reason to expect this dreadful fate to occur any time soon

kurani
22-01-11, 06:45
Hi there I hope you are feeling better. I can relate to your situation. I went and got a stress test done which is where you go on a treadmill while hooked up to monitors and BP machine, and you basically exercise. After that you sit down and they explain the results which will likely be that everything is fine with your heart.

I recommend it, it changed my life and allowed me to focus on other things

Best of luck