PDA

View Full Version : in a huge state of panic please help me!!

miniholly
15-01-11, 04:05
hi since monday ive had a strange aching feeling in my left arm, the night before i did sleep on my arm funny and it does hurt when i bend my arm a bit like a shooting pain after worrying about it all week today i now have a tingly feeling in my left arm like ive bedn lying on it i feel so panicked, jf i slept on it funny surely it would have gotten better?! i keep thinking i have a brain tumor causing this feeling please help im so scared :( x

xBettyBoopx
15-01-11, 04:19
Hi Holly

I think you're in such a state of anxiety that anything different going on in your body is going to send you in a panic.

I have had these feelings in my arms on & off for many years, and yes you can still having funny feelings even though it was Monday that you slept funny on it.

You don't have a brain tumour, trust me.

I know that it's hard to think rationally when you are so panicked, but try and take your mind off of it by playing games etc, you'll soon find that the funny feelings have gone away without you realizing it.

I hope you feel less anxious soon. Take care.

Els

ChrisK
15-01-11, 07:39
Remind yourself repetitively that it will pass, and that you will be fine. Consciously telling yourself this fact will decrease the threat level in your mind, and gives space for coping skills, get up, making some tea. if you want, learn good trigger points to apply for relief : http://www.holisticonline.com/remedies/Anxiety/anx_acupressure.htm

Captain Caveman
15-01-11, 08:01
Remind yourself repetitively that it will pass, and that you will be fine. Consciously telling yourself this fact will decrease the threat level in your mind, and gives space for coping skills, get up, making some tea.

I find it can be tricky giving advice to people sometimes when I don't know their background. But if the OP is someone who is constantly panicing about a symptom, then it would appear they are looking for 100% absolute certainty that it's not a brain tumour and they are unwilling to accept the possibility that it might actually be. Whilst it may be 99% likely it's not a brain tumour causing it, it's impossible to know 100% that she doesn't have a brain tumour causing it.

Thus, I have to say I would disagree with the suggestion of trying to repeatedly telling yourself it will pass (inferring it's not a brain tumour causing it). You can't think logically when you are highly sensitized/panicy. Perhaps the OP is different, but if they are like myself and millions of others were when freaked out about a symptom, then the fact that there is still a small chance (let's say 1%) that it COULD be a brain tumour is what they focus on. So telling yourself it's not, will give short term relief, but in x amount of time the worry comes back bigger and stronger. Constant reassurance is a short term band aid treatment. It makes things worse long term. Learning to take risks and accept uncertainty is the antidote, in my opinion.

anx mum
15-01-11, 10:21
hi since monday ive had a strange aching feeling in my left arm, the night before i did sleep on my arm funny and it does hurt when i bend my arm a bit like a shooting pain after worrying about it all week today i now have a tingly feeling in my left arm like ive bedn lying on it i feel so panicked, jf i slept on it funny surely it would have gotten better?! i keep thinking i have a brain tumor causing this feeling please help im so scared :( x

Hun im the same had pain in arm and chest yesterday was convinced i was having a heart attack doc said cos i worked myself up so much it was so scary:hugs:

miniholly
15-01-11, 15:37
thank you everyone for answering! :)
its nice to know i'm not the only one who has this! its terrifying, and Captain Caveman i agree with your post, it is the 1% chance of having something that scares me the most and i agree with the band aid relief part aswell, i've had persitent muscle tension for nearly a year now and yet i still worry "what if" even thoguh i've been told by doctors and nurses its very very very very unlikely.
the pain seemed to have gone after i calmed down a bit but i did have a huge panic attack, managed to get to sleep for an hour then dirrahea woke me up :( is it normal to have dirreaha after a panic attack? i have been constipated for a couple of days too.
the ache now feels like a growing pain, i'm 17 so i'm not sure whether everythings still growing or not xxx

anx mum
15-01-11, 15:40
thank you everyone for answering! :)
its nice to know i'm not the only one who has this! its terrifying, and Captain Caveman i agree with your post, it is the 1% chance of having something that scares me the most and i agree with the band aid relief part aswell, i've had persitent muscle tension for nearly a year now and yet i still worry "what if" even thoguh i've been told by doctors and nurses its very very very very unlikely.
the pain seemed to have gone after i calmed down a bit but i did have a huge panic attack, managed to get to sleep for an hour then dirrahea woke me up :( is it normal to have dirreaha after a panic attack? i have been constipated for a couple of days too.
the ache now feels like a growing pain, i'm 17 so i'm not sure whether everythings still growing or not xxx

Glad your feeling abit better hun its hard cos when u have a panic attack u do always fear the worse u cant believe how ur feeling or what anyone says. U on any meds?

miniholly
15-01-11, 15:44
i'm only on the pill (cilest) at the moment but im on my 7 day break, maybe because its that "time of the month" too that i'm getting a bit worked up over things i know are nothing! xxx