PDA

View Full Version : Diazapam - my experience

Lizzyg
15-01-11, 13:40
Hi

Just want to let everyone know I started taking diazapam yesterday and it is good stuff!!

I have been in a really heightened state of anxiety since Christmas with panic attacks (something I havn't had before).

Doctor prescribed me a short term course of diazapam yesterday and was very forceful aboyt not ready the leaflet inside the box. I am on a low dose of 2mg 3 times a day, so walked in the door and took one straight away before I could start thinking!

Guess what it works! No side effects apart from feeling a bit woozy and tired. But guess what I don't care in fact I don't care or worry about anything which feels wonderful. I slept all night last night the first time in 2 weeks and I plan on sleeping this afternoon. It is so nice not to have my mind racing permenantly not being able to switch off and just sit in an armchair and watch TV without fidgiting.

Some physical symptoms of anxiety are still there like catching my breath, shakey and a few palpitations but I just don't care and not worrying. Hopefully this will help break the intense cycle I was in.

If the doctor offers this drug to any of you suffering out there please do not be afraid to take it just enjoy the break!

xxx

Beckyboo_83
15-01-11, 14:34
i was on this to loved it...but its addictive so beeen put on citropram which has side affect i have anxiety too

Panic33
15-01-11, 14:53
I was given 1 * 2mg tablet twice a day for 3 days the other year and I thought it was great. My GP doesn't like to prescribe it tho and only did so as my wife was going in hospital to have a baby to get me thro it. Did your GP give you as a short term measure?

sacha.23
15-01-11, 15:02
this is really good i was on 5mg 3 times a day but they have now put me on buspirone 5 mg 3 times a day this stuff is rubbish i am exhausted all the time and crying not even sure why! make the most of it!!

Granny Primark
17-01-11, 10:15
I was given diazapam last Thursday. 2mg 3 times a day.
I think its absolutely brill! Ive been given 28 tabs.
My hubby says im loads calmer.
If I was anxious before id turn to alcohol.
Id far rather take a tab.
At least a tab wont damage your liver.

Carly Lou
17-01-11, 10:48
I have to agree with everyone here i was prscribed diazapan when i first started taking mirtazapine... and seeing as im having a blip, im starting to take diaz again, im cutting my 5mg tab in half tho and taking it that way, i only have 7 lol!!!
The thing i hate it.... I feel back to how i used to feel, which id what scares me,... will i ever get better and feel that way when i have to no longer take any meds.... oh well never mind about that, for the time being diazapan works great !!! xxxx

mr badger
17-01-11, 10:50
Yup. Still taking the odd 2mg after my melt down in December.

Had one this morning actually as I've got rising anxiety today.

As the Citalopram has become more effective I take less and less. I'm amazed that such a low dose (I'm huge too) has such an effect.

Wouldn't want drive a long way having taken one though.

mr badger
17-01-11, 11:00
.... oh well never mind about that, for the time being diazapan works great !!! xxxx

I think we all have those worries CL. just getting by for now is enough for me. When I can, I'll move on. The future comes fast enough anyway,

Greenman50
04-02-11, 19:12
I,m still haveing one 2 mg of diazapam at night , been doing so for three months , it now has no effect like it used to . I,ve got 7 left (been on cit 20 mg for three weeks) so i,m going to ask for another 14 days worth and start cutting them in half and then not bother with them . They are addictive but very very good .

Freesolo
04-02-11, 20:14
Benzo's are straight from the devil, i will say Diazepam is one of the safer ones because of its long half life but there no cure, there so addictive, you take them and think wow these really work but they only mask your problem for a short while. wait till you have to come off even a month on a low dose you going to have withdrawls when you stop, your anxietys going to feel worse than when you got them perscribed and you will have insomnia so your in a worse place then when you started :/ the only way i can see them being useful is if you are taking them when your anxiety/panic is at its worst so maybe 3/4 a month

haz
05-02-11, 18:16
My psychiatrist says that diazepam is a very useful drug in treating anxiety disorders. However, it is addictive and your body will get used to it after a while.

I find it particularly useful in helping to combat side effects when you are starting a new medication or increasing your dose, especially if the medication initially causes increased anxiety. It is better to be on a non-addictive drug to help alleviate anxiety symptoms but yes, I agree, diazepam definately can be a great drug in treating anxiety/panic disorders.

A lot of people are scared to take it because it is addictive, but doctors are well aware of this and in this day and age would not overprescribe so becoming addicted is highly unlikely if you stick to the prescribed dose.

I am currently on 3 5mg tablets a day but this is because I've just changed my medication. I plan to reduce this over the coming weeks/months. It is important to reduce gradually as stopping it abruptly can cause unwanted side effects, but again just follow your doctors instructions.

Pinkella
18-02-11, 01:36
Diazepam is very addictive and should only be used short term...The more you take it the more ur body will get use to it and u'll end up having to take a higher dose to get the same tranquil effect...and when its time to come off them the withdrawal can cause ur anxiety to be worse than what it was when you first started taking them!I know this because i took them for a month every day a few yrs back! yeah i felt great while on them but coming off them was hell!!! side effects-tremors,shakes,headaches,insomnia,palpatations,hig htened panic attacks...

Personally i think its ok to take short term when really needed...but why take something so addictive?? when uv got drugs like citalopram that are not addictive and are proven to help with anxiety and depression....

Citalopram has done wonders for my anxiety/depression over the years! Thank you Citalopram:yesyes:

Haz- totally agree with you about using diazepam short term to help with side effects when starting a new anti depressant....or altering ur dose....

Lizzyg
19-02-11, 12:39
The Diazepam helped lots in the short term but I am now taking Sertraline for the long term.

The Diazepam really did help get my mind back to give me the strength to take the Sertraline. It is now helping with the side effects with the Sertraline which has sent my anxiety through the roof.

Doctor assures me that as I am only taking 4mg a day it is a low dose and it is only for the short term it is unlikely I will become addictive.

I just wanted to point out to everyone not to be afraid to take it as used correctly under Doc's supervision it can be very helpful!

joannap
19-02-11, 21:08
you will find a lot of people think this drug is a dirty word lol but it has its place in treatment of anxiety and is excellent for a crisis or to take short term. when i had the biggest breakdown of my life a few months ago (only just starting to feel a bit better!) i begged a doctor during an out of hours call to give me just a couple until i could see my own gp and he refused - saying - you will never find a gp to prescribe you this drug.

well - sorry - but to me that was evil lol! he wasn;t the one crying 24/7 and not able to stop hanging onto my husband and mum because i was convinced i would die or commit suicide. he was very wrong however because my own gp sent me to the on call psychiatrist who prescribed me a small ammount plus i then got another prescription from my gp too so their attitudes could not have been more different.

i took 10 mg for 3 days and then 5mg for two days when i was at my worst and then as and when but with the full knowledge of my gp. there is a lot of unncessary scaremongering about diazapam. If you do not have an addictive personality and know they are not to be used in the long term and only use them when you are literally climbing the walls then it should not be a problem. I frightened myself stupid about getting addicted - so much so that my gp used to insist i took them rather than let my anxiety climb sky high because she said that even if you do get dependent - they just wean you off very slowly.

to be honest - they took the edge off when i felt extremely bad but i certainly did not see them as a wonder drug and wasn't tempted to take them at all when my anxiety was at more bearable levels - they just dampened it down slightly and certainly did not make me feel really good or anything.

i read a study that said 50% of people taking valium longer than a few months quit cold turkey with no problems. the other 50% had withdrawal symptoms - i understand that for some people - these are terrible but you can have a bad time with any drug. I was prescribed a well prescribed drug for indigestion and suffered a terrifying reaction to it - far worse than taking a short course of diazapam. i never noticed any kind of rebound anxiety and like i say - as soon as my anxiety started to come down - i did not feel the need to even take it but i guess it depends on your own individual chemistry/personality/tolerance level etc.

my own opinion is that if you are scared of becoming dependent (and therefore are unlikely to get dependent!) to have no fear about taking this drug for a short period of time under close supervision from your gp.

Patsta
23-02-11, 02:29
My doctor has prescribed me Xanax, to help me until my medication kicks in. Its wonderful stuff, but i only take it as I really need it! My gp has no problem with prescribing it...and he also believes it would do wonders for world peace if it was put in the whole worlds water supply!! lol Having said that....any other doctor that I have spoken to about Xanax....they all say the same thing....don't take it! I think I trust my gp more...been with him for years and every time I have a relapse, its him I go and see to pull me through again!

VickiS
27-05-11, 23:24
I was first prescribed diazepam 10 years ago and it seemed like a miracle drug to me at the time as my anxiety and panic attacks were ruling my life, however I'm still taking them and they no longer have the same effect anymore but my body still needs them, it's also been proven that prolonged use of diazepam can lead to agaraphobia which I now suffer from, im scared to leave my own house. My GP has just prescribed me citalopram which I have heard has horrific S.Es but I've worked up the courage to start them tomorrow (I hope lol) so yeah they may be great for short term use but they are an evil drug that I'm now addicted to so along with the SEs of the new drug I soon have to deal with withdrawals from diazepam

If you're going to use them just be very careful

Phill2
28-05-11, 03:06
I keep hearing this but after being on 5mg/day for 6 yrs now I can't agree.
I've never increased the dose and it still works just as good as ever.

Diazepam is very addictive and should only be used short term...The more you take it the more ur body will get use to it and u'll end up having to take a higher dose to get the same tranquil effect...and when its time to come off them the withdrawal can cause ur anxiety to be worse than what it was when you first started taking them!I know this because i took them for a month every day a few yrs back! yeah i felt great while on them but coming off them was hell!!! side effects-tremors,shakes,headaches,insomnia,palpatations,hig htened panic attacks...

Personally i think its ok to take short term when really needed...but why take something so addictive?? when uv got drugs like citalopram that are not addictive and are proven to help with anxiety and depression....

Citalopram has done wonders for my anxiety/depression over the years! Thank you Citalopram:yesyes:

Haz- totally agree with you about using diazepam short term to help with side effects when starting a new anti depressant....or altering ur dose....

katz41
28-05-11, 05:10
my gp wouldn't prescribe valium for me either :( i have heard good and bad about it) but to be honest i think i need an adjunct to the citalopram as at the moment its not doing much at all,

jimbet
31-10-11, 12:17
I have just been prescribed with diazapan. I took 2 as directed and fell asleep as have not slept for ages. After about half an hour I awoke with a huge start. That really frightened me! Any suggestions?