PDA

View Full Version : depersonalisation/ derealisation

ems43
15-01-11, 17:09
Hi,
I just wondered if anyone who experienes these symptoms can relate. Have been suffering severe anxiety for a number of months now, with dp/ dr being my worst symptom. I really feared at first I was developing psychosis constanty, now I only fear it sometimes ( and have been told by my psychiatrist I am def not psychotic). But I'm just so stuck as I really struggle to accept this is all caused by anxiety. I feel so disconnected from myself, at times I literally feel I cannot remember who I am and when i look at other people the world it looks so so unreal at times. This leads to very intense panic attacks and i then really fear i am going psychotic. I also keep getting these thoughts like, what if the world ins't real? what if everyone is just in my head? which scares the hell out of me and I fear Im becoming delusional. Then other times I fear I do believe the world isn't real, and try to convince myself that I can't really believe this if i keep carryng on as normal. I just feel so scared x

phil06
15-01-11, 17:56
Sounds much like how I have been feeling. I also fear going psychotic though I feel GAD is more the reason for fearing going mad than the DP.

I find the DP had stopped me going out..but I'm starting to battle it and go out again. Been reading Claire Weekes self help which does help.

I don't have much of a cure but know how you feel.

jessicalittler79
15-01-11, 18:17
hunni i also have this atm..and i have felt tis way for 5 months now sometimes it goes for a little while it it comes right back...its awfull.i cant seem to get past it and iam like u it causes me tohave bad panic attacks ...iam unable to go out side or do my normal things b/c of this....i wish i could help u hun and take it all away sorry u feel so bad...but i have learn the more u think about the worse it get ,,,but hunni u are not losen ur mind .its a way of are brain shutting down after to much stress to protect its self ...in time it will go away promise just stay strong and try to accept that its anx hun ...if u need to talk u can send me pm ..tc hun

mabel
15-01-11, 22:32
Horrible feeling! Awful! Ive had it for years. Most of the time it doesn't bother me now. Now I know its anxiety causing it and nothing else I literally sit it out if it happens. I tell my self its just anxiety and I'll be fine. Im not nuts or anything and I just need to see it through and it will pass. It does actually work! I focus myself on things, just look at what is around me. I get on and do something if I can. If Im stuck in a meeting or something I just focus on one thing I can see or try and REALLY focus on what is being said (whilst repeating in my head, this will pass)

It does work. And I find I can control it quicker these days.

Frozen in fear
15-01-11, 22:40
Horrible feeling! Awful! Ive had it for years. Most of the time it doesn't bother me now. Now I know its anxiety causing it and nothing else I literally sit it out if it happens. I tell my self its just anxiety and I'll be fine. Im not nuts or anything and I just need to see it through and it will pass. It does actually work! I focus myself on things, just look at what is around me. I get on and do something if I can. If Im stuck in a meeting or something I just focus on one thing I can see or try and REALLY focus on what is being said (whilst repeating in my head, this will pass)

It does work. And I find I can control it quicker these days.
I feel like this every day wish world seemed real need a life back

mabel
15-01-11, 22:46
It WILL get better! Its taken me years of practice! Because I had to find my own way. Which is hard when you don't know what the hell is going on!

My one bit of advice really is to keep saying to yourself 'you're not going mad and you will be fine'. Sounds really rubbish and simple. But it works. Stick it out in situations where you want to leg it! Then you can have more evidence! Well I managed that etc! Its one of the worst symptoms I have and its awful! But Keep trying to beat it!

Frozen in fear
15-01-11, 23:04
It WILL get better! Its taken me years of practice! Because I had to find my own way. Which is hard when you don't know what the hell is going on!

My one bit of advice really is to keep saying to yourself 'you're not going mad and you will be fine'. Sounds really rubbish and simple. But it works. Stick it out in situations where you want to leg it! Then you can have more evidence! Well I managed that etc! Its one of the worst symptoms I have and its awful! But Keep trying to beat it!
It feels even more more unreal just looking outside its hard to try to go out but cbt has helped me

ems43
16-01-11, 11:31
thanks very much for your replies, really helps to know others experience it, i know i overcame it before wheni was about 17 just this time it seems so much more intense. I remember the first day i had it really bad and i just thought, god i can't cope with this I'd rather be dead that have these feelings back. So what happened then...moved straight from focus on physical symptoms of anxiety to dp/dr, I guess its like i put a flag on the thoughts of it that said this is dangerous and therefore kept coming back as I am checking in on it. xx

Ames88
17-01-11, 20:56
Hi, I've been feeling the exact same! My derealisation has gotten so bad that I keep getting thoughts that the world simply has to be unreal because I don't understand why the worlds here and why we exist? Ive never been so frightened in my whole life! Please someone tell me that this goes away! I've got it stuck in my head that I can't get through this and I'll be stuck this forever and it's so distressing.... The more I think about DR and existence and life the more it scares me and the more unreal everything is, I'm scared that I won't be able to stop thinking this way, therefore I can't overcome it.... Please help :(
Amy x

aggro
18-01-11, 00:47
Hi, new on here, I have suffered from this for years and will be so interested to read about how you cope and hopefully may be able to offer suggestions too. Just a short note to say hi, and know how you all feel.

Ames88
18-01-11, 16:11
Hi all...
I've actually had enough of feeling like this :( I'm so tired n can't eat because of the worry of feeling like 24/7 I just want to know that there is hope out there n that we can all get through this.... Coz seriously i can't take it anymore! Everything I look at, the world my children my family.... Everything doesn't exist and I'm so confused! X

lecb
19-01-11, 04:20
I feel exactly like this too. As much as i would never wish this on anyone, i find it slightly reassuring to know i'm not the only one.

I cannot believe how similar the stories are from other people about how i feel.

I went to the GP and told him i felt disconnected from my body and reality and i was thinking so deeply about the world and what it is and who i am, and my relevance in it, and he implied I was psychotic. Since then the DP/DR has been SOO bad. Does this prove it is anxiety, or am i quite simply crazy?

Ames88
20-01-11, 12:26
I feel crazy too, I think we all do, but if you can ask that question then you're not because crazy people don't know they're crazy, they think every1 else is.... I feel the same as you lecb...... I feel like if I can't understand why the worlds here or why we Exist then it all must be fake and it really freaks me out! Does this ever happen to you? X

aggro
21-01-11, 17:02
Hi again, just plucking up the courage to write some more, but does anyone feel like the unreal feelings feel worse when it starts to get dark, or if it's cloudy and grey all day?
I find this happens to me all the time and is better in summer when there is light. I can't begin to tell you how this is affecting me, but I am sure you all know how I feel. Anyway gonna shut up now have hundreds of things to ask and write to you about have been suffering with this for many years.:weep:

phil06
21-01-11, 19:27
One thing this makes me suffer us chronic fatigue and sleepless nights feeling so unreal. Anybody had this? I feel regularly I an losing my sense of identity as my mind is absorbed by worry.

steve_1981
21-01-11, 20:49
I get this when my anxiety is severe, I first experienced this feeling when smoking cannabis, (I don't touch this stuff anymore, It can really mess with your mind).

Try beta blockers, been taking them for a week and my anxiety levels are easier to manage, I dont feel the panic as I did before.

depersonalisation/derealisation is very scary. Its like being in a personal hell, you feel life is a dream, and every thing is fake.

try and relax, try yoga, put your fav music on, do not sit there worrying over these nasty thoughts.

remember your not the only one with these issues, its just anxiety messing with you.

hope things work out for you :)

StarryBlueGal
22-01-11, 02:11
Wow,I didn't realise that this thing has a label. I didn't know this until I read it. I have had it last Christmas and yes it seems worse when it is dark and gloomy, and I'm always being bored at home and thinking too much makes it worse. I find myself happier during summer when it is hot and longer days too. I can go out more in the summer too.

Thank you for giving me the label for the unreal thoughts I had for a while.

Starry xx

phil06
24-01-11, 12:49
My derealization has been troubling me all week again. Basically I get to a point I kind of half accept it's anxiety and it eases. Problem is as soon as it comes back or any kind of mild to bad panic attack I'm as bad as ever as I give it significance.

When it lingers all week I feel my eyes sensitise up and they seem sleepy and tired. Biggest thing is I look around and everything seems unreal and strange/off my head feels pressured and dream like. Barley feel alive or like I'm in a trance. Feel a loss of connection like I Duno who I an anymore or why I'm on this earth?

It's the worst symptom and it's just awful can't feel this way forever it also numbs up my emotions. Anybody else relate to this?

fretty freda
23-03-11, 19:56
what is the scientific reason for it happening ?? thought id wrote everyone of those above posts ! can relate to you all

Rhys1879SAFC
23-03-11, 20:54
what is the scientific reason for it happening ?? thought id wrote everyone of those above posts ! can relate to you all

It happens when your brain is tired and worn out by anxious thoughts so it makes you feel like this to protect you. Basically it makes you hyper aware of your surroundings.

cymraig_chris
23-03-11, 21:59
Post removed by author

Rhys1879SAFC
24-03-11, 13:41
Are disturbing thoughts common with this too?

cymraig_chris
24-03-11, 20:09
Post removed by author

Rhys1879SAFC
25-03-11, 13:29
Thanks for the help. :)