PDA

View Full Version : ESA Medical Anxiety

teamspikey
15-01-11, 21:40
Hey guys; apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section; however it's something I'm very anxious about at the moment and would like to find out more about it.

I'm due to go for a medical about my claim for Employment and Support Allowance - the benefit that has replaced Income Support, etc.
I've read a lot about it online, and haven't seen ANY positive posted examples of this medical actually yeilding the correct results.

It's apparently based on a 'points' system, and you need a minimum of 15 to be assessed as having a limited capability for work. I have downloaded and done a sample test, and I score - marking myself lower than is actually true - 46, just under the mental health capability test.

I've been signed off until the beginning of March by my family GP, as it's plain to her, my mental health co-ordinator, and family and friends that I cannot hold down a job at he moment; in fact, I can barely hold down a 13-hour-a-week college course.

Now under one of their clauses, if 'person named in application is at risk of injury or harm, or injury or harm may occur to any other persons due to not receiving this benefit, they should be assumed to be of limited capability to work.' I've never been asked this question, despite having self harmed, ended up in hospital and suffering from mental health problems since I was ten years old. Technically, I should be under this clause; but am confused as to why I am not.
Anyway, back to my point at hand here; has anyone actually had a positive example of one of these medical assessments?
I know they are done by a company called Atos Healthcare, who also do medicals for DLA and other benefits and apparently they have an 80% fail rate - although you can appeal. A lot of people are saying that these medicals are done unfairly, and even obviously physically disabled people are scored 0 points.

My problem and anxiety over this issue is due to the fact that if I don't 'pass' this medical, I will freak out and I know I'll lose it, as I literally won't have a pot to piss in - I've spent the past year getting more and more stressed about my financial situation and finally applied for benefits because I was breaking down over it.
My mental health co-ordinator has said that she doesn't think that if I do fail, I'll be entitled to claim JobSeekers Allowance either, due to the fact that I am signed off sick by my doctor - how can I seek a job, when I legally can't work? Aside from that, the length of time to claim JSA and appeal takes ages, and how am I meant to survive in that time?

Apologies again if this isn't in the right place, and for the long post. Any advice would be SO appreciated.

Thanks,
:hugs:

yvonne_uk_98
15-01-11, 21:50
Hi teamspikey,

sorry your worrying about your medical for esa I have two links where you can get help and support, one is free to join.

this one you need to join, and in there you will get support cause some of them went through the medical and they would know how to help you get it. plus they give good support.

http://carerwatchdotcom.myfineforum.org/index.html

this one will give you the advice you need and if you need to appeal will go with you for support.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/

Yvonne

teamspikey
15-01-11, 22:01
Thanks, Yvonne! Joining as I speak, looks like a good find!

yvonne_uk_98
15-01-11, 22:06
I hope you get the support and help you need. I joined the dwp one, I paid for the membership it's worth it, cause it keeps you up to date witth what is going on. and the changes. through the I mean the link to help you with dwp. they helped set up the carers'watch. they are fighting and protesting against like dla as it is abolished next month. and the new one put in place.

Yvonne

teamspikey
15-01-11, 22:08
DLA is being abolished next month? Since when??