PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Pulse Rate Increases

Zee
15-01-11, 21:19
My normal resting pulse is 78-80 bpm.

Ive noticed that theres an increase at times such as when ive been sitting a while and walk across the room?? Also, it increases when going to toilet .
I know its normal when exercising, walking moderately or with such as panic attacks and anxiety..but should it rise when doing normal things ?

PokerFace
15-01-11, 21:34
I've noticed mine increase when I roll over in bed, walk across the room, get out the bath, breathe lol, anything normal to be honest and I've been told my heart's fine!

I think it's more down to an awareness over our heart rates rather than a sign of something more sinister? I went through a phase of questioning anyone and everyone I could of wether there heart rate increased when they did this or that or anything and I always got the same answer from everyone "yes, but I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't keep asking about it!" :D

It's worse for me in a really bad state of anxiety cuz even walking up the stairs sends me into a slight crawl it starts to go so hard!

Idk if you've discussed this all with your doctor? Maybe he would beable to reassure you more than I would cuz he's qualified to lol! Hope this helped a little bit though. xx

Mark801
15-01-11, 21:38
I get this!!!!!! It's horrible isn't it?

But one thing I do notice is that when I'm in school or with friends and I'm occupied, if I stand up and walk I don't get it. But when I'm home(that's when I'm panicky) I'm scared to get up and walk around cuz my heart speeds up and I feel it.

I mean your heart is supposed to speed up for standing but for me, when I feel my anxiety is high, it speeds up even more to where I notice it and it freaks me out. I really think it's anxiety though cuz I don't notice it at all when I'm not anxious or occupied with friends and family. Heck I jump up fast outta my seet when I'm happy and I notice nothing. Last night foe example, I was anxious cuz I have the flu/allergies and I stood up and it happened.
Before I went to bed after drinking a nice hot warm cup of milk, I was relaxed and I stood up and went to bed and my pusle was so nice and calm.

Wen anxious, getting up is hard cuz Im scared it will happen. I posted this a few weeks ago and Puala Lynne says she gets this. My cousin who doesn't suffer from any anxiety at all gets this except her heart doesn't race, it pounds hard.

I think its cuz Im literally obsessed with my heart thats why it happens. But I honestly believe its anxiety cuz when Im not anxious it doesn't happen to me.

My resting pulse when really relaxed can be as low as 68 and as high as 130 when im anxious. Its usually when my pulse is around 130 during sitting when im anxious that im scared to stand up and move cuz I know its gonna speed up and I'll notice it since I'm anxious.

Zee
15-01-11, 21:46
Pokerface.. I had full blood count 9 months ago and was told I was physically very well. Somehow, the GP was able to determine heart health assessment from that and said very low risk.. The mere word Doctor sends my heart rate up :DI have a GP phobia.

carla g
15-01-11, 21:47
have u tried any beat blockers these really helpd me and im now of them and not feeling it as mutch i do find myself checking it now and again and i have beat blockers with me just incase i ever need them x

PokerFace
15-01-11, 21:54
Same lol! My doctor always jokes that I must get so excited about seeing him cuz everytime I go in he takes my pulse and it's through the roof lool! :D

But yea, if the doctor said your heart is fine your heart is fine! :) It's just an awareness thing, I think there's a CBT technique you can do to try and unfocus yourself away from how you physically feel. I'm bad at explaining stuff but I'm gonna try for youu lol ;s

You're supposed to sit in a room and listen to every single sound you can find, for example if you're in your living room the middle of the day you might hear cars going past outside, people banging around making noise outside, computer humming, fridge humming anything! Then you're supposed to just concentrate on one, then another, then another, then all of them at once again. It's all to make you more aware of what's going on around you and not what's happening inside your body. Like a switch of concentration if you get me?

I may have got some of this jumbled up in order, it's in my health anxiety book and I havn't read it in a while (should do really) but I started to do that technique and I found it a good help! Sorry if I've confused you lol, I'm not so gifted with explaining things! xx

Zee
15-01-11, 21:57
I like that suggestion Pokerface and I will try it.

Ive been much better with the anx for a couple of weeks but ocassional blip. Let you know how that distraction technique works thanks.

Frozen in fear
15-01-11, 21:57
Its anxiety and we seem to focus on our hearts my heart is loud a lot because i got a lot heart valve problem plus anxiety

Zee
16-01-11, 20:39
Tried Pokerface suggestion last night..It does seem to work at distraction from thoughts.

blue moon
16-01-11, 20:46
Hi ...My pulse rate is usually around 58 to 65,but does rise when stressed.I to have mitro valve prolapse,but try not to worry about it.
Petra xx