PDA

View Full Version : hello. Anyone trying to come off seroxat?

pia
16-01-11, 15:51
Hi everyone.

Am new here, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on coming off seroxat? I have been taking it for 15 years. (was prescribed it by my G.P at 15 as i was struggling with difficult family situation and had attempted suicide) I hate the drug, hate taking it, and feel i should never have been prescribed it in the first place. The withdrawl symptoms are so horrific though, that i have been unable to quit it despite moving on in my life and wanting to start a family of my own.
Have got down to 5mg a day, and have recentley started on the liquid form.
Have been told to reduce it slowly, but how slow is slow???
Has anyone quit this drug completely after taking it for many years? will i ever be able to function 'normally' drug free?
Please respond if you have any experience/advice, i just need to hear that there is light at the end of this.

Thanks for reading,
Piaxx

nomorepanic
16-01-11, 15:53
Hi pia

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

elainey70
16-01-11, 17:53
Hi Pia

I came off seroxat in April 2009 after being on it for 14 years. I'm not going to say it was easy ( it was horrendous), but i did manage it and only in a short space of time. During withdrawal my doctor gave me prozac to help and this did seem to make a difference. By May 2009 i was off all AD completely. Unfortunately i had a relapse in August 2010 and after trying 3 other AD's i was prescribed seroxat again. I was reluctant to go back on these meds, but they have again, given me my life back and i wont be stopping them again ever.

Good luck and hang on in there, you can come off these drugs and have a life without them.

gaaron
16-01-11, 18:03
Hi pia, you'll find loads of support on this site..
:welcome::flowers:x

pia
18-01-11, 10:17
Thanks.

Got all confused with the ml to mg ratio- think i need to take it much slower than the doctor suggested!! (reducing by 2mg at a time, this seems way to steep a drop!!!) Was feeling dreadful yesterday, but a bit better now now that ive upped the dose slightly.

Guess my worst fear is that my brain has been damaged by all these drugs over the years, and that i'll never be able to live without them.

Bought a couple of books the other day that im finding quite helpful:

Depression (the way out of your prison) by Dorothy Rowe

Overcoming social anxiety and shyness by Gillian Butler.

Thanks for your replies:)