PDA

View Full Version : Fear Of Electric Shock

ZMan
17-01-11, 01:52
When turning on a plug etc. I'm always slightly worried about electric shocks.

However, I have now managed to convince myself that my laptops charger cable gives off electric pulses when plugged in and charging. Now, I don't know if it does, but it sure as hell feels like it - when I touch it I get tingles up that arm etc. and for the next hour or so I analyse everything such as heart rate etc. trying to figure out whether I've been shocked. I've no idea if it does actually give out electrical pulses but I'm 100% convinced it does and now almost scared of it - it's very irrational but can anxiety over souch things convince you that you are experiencing such things - when I touch the wire is literally when the shock like feeling starts..

Baster9
17-01-11, 03:31
When turning on a plug etc. I'm always slightly worried about electric shocks.

However, I have now managed to convince myself that my laptops charger cable gives off electric pulses when plugged in and charging. Now, I don't know if it does, but it sure as hell feels like it - when I touch it I get tingles up that arm etc. and for the next hour or so I analyse everything such as heart rate etc. trying to figure out whether I've been shocked. I've no idea if it does actually give out electrical pulses but I'm 100% convinced it does and now almost scared of it - it's very irrational but can anxiety over souch things convince you that you are experiencing such things - when I touch the wire is literally when the shock like feeling starts..

Have you ever tried and talk if your mum/dad do experience the same things when the plug in the lap top? If not than probably your brain is overwhelmed with thoughts therefore it's only anxiety, but it might be true, ask someone else do to the same and find out. Gosh I wish I got have anxiety about your problem (not that I don't respect it just saying that it's nothing to worry about :hugs:).

Baster

Alex_r240
17-01-11, 03:33
laptop chargers should not give off any eletric waves. i know what you mean though my charger used to do that but i bought a new one. maybe it is fualty.

i also have had my computer do it when i touch the metal pannel at the back, so i dont go near it anymore. try not to be worried it will not eltricute you!

Alex

ZMan
18-01-11, 23:18
Thanks for both of your replies.

I don't know if this is possible to I'll asl.

The laptop was charging today, connected to a multiport. I switched off it's specific plug on the multiport before waiting 30 seconds or so to remove the laptop from the charger. The laptop chargers plugg was off but the multiports was still on. When pulling the charger out of the laptop the metal bit that goes into the laptop gave me was felt like quite a nasty shock.

That thumb has been numb once and there has been a bit of mild shooting pain throughout my left hand and arm since - this won't kill me will it?

And in the next day or two I'm taking this laptop to be checked out as it's still under warranty.

Nigel
18-01-11, 23:34
Hi ZMan,

Most laptop chargers are 15-20v so it’s unlikely to get a shock from that. In fact it’s hard to feel anything much below about 50v. If it was giving out anything like that the laptop would be very unhappy by now.

If it’s still under warranty there’s no harm getting it checked just for peace of mind, but it was probably something like static from a carpet, or even a vivid imagination if this is something you tend to worry about. I think most people can naturally feel a little tingling sensation in their hands if they concentrate on it for a short while. It’s simply because the hands and fingers are really sensitive and contain loads of nerves.

“this won't kill me will it?”

Not if you’re still alive :winks:
Electric shocks are dangerous at the time they happen.

Take care :)
Nigel

ZMan
18-01-11, 23:59
Fantastic reply Nigel, very reassuring.

Cheers.