PDA

View Full Version : Need some help and advice

dazoski
17-01-11, 10:48
Hi

I am knew to this.
I had my first panic attack about 2years ago and endured 6 months of hell on a daily basis. Eventually i was prescribed citalopram and also underwent cbt. This all helped and with my own reading etc i overcame it for over a year.
Recently however i have stopped drinking alcohol (i was drinking alot) and also finished with the citalopram.The panic has come back with a vengeance.I feel terrible,like it will never end again.
Just looking for advice or to hear from people in similar situations.

Darius

JaneC
17-01-11, 10:56
:welcome: Darius. Do you still practise CBT, it really is something you have to keep at in my experience. Maybe your current probs are related to giving up drinking and will ease off over time? Hope you find NMP helpful and that you feel better soon x

tess
17-01-11, 11:00
hi jayne
what is CBT??

JaneC
17-01-11, 11:04
:welcome: Tess too. CBT is cognitive behavioural therapy, a form of therapy which tries to alter a person's negative thought processes.

This is a link to an article on this site (from the list on the left of the page) which explains a bit about it x

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/therapy/

Captain Caveman
17-01-11, 11:45
what is CBT??

Hi. One has to be careful about CBT. There is the traditional CBT that was developed for depression. But there is also CBT that is altered for people experiencing anxiety. Unfortunately, people can sometimes be taught the wrong type of CBT, and it makes matters worse. If you read the below article about CBT, you will see see the following excerpt:

"Traditional CBT was developed as a powerful treatment for depression. Cognitive therapists who specialize in the treatment of depression would do well not to attempt to transfer this strategy to anxiety disorders, particularly OCD. "

Not all therapists perform CBT in the same manner. I had a quick skim over that article Jane linked, and I saw quite a few things I don't agree with. So it's important to do as much research as you can, because you will find various therapists having differring views.

This article is long, but if you read at least the bit under the first sub title called TRADITIONAL COGNITIVE- BEHAVIORAL THERAPY FOR DEPRESSION, it will explain why traditional traditional CBT is not advised for anxiety disorders. You'll find therapists use the same treatment techniques for Health Anxiety as they do OCD. http://www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php (http://www.ocdonline.com/definecbt.php)

dazoski
17-01-11, 14:45
Thankyou for the replies. No i stopped the cbt after a few months and just got to the point where i thought i did not need it anymore. I have had an alcohol problem for over 10 years and i know there is a link between that and panic attacks. The withdrawal i am feeling now is bad, shakes , nausea,stomach pains,headaches ,sweating but most of all the return of the dreaded feelings of panic.
I also wondered if citalopram withdrawal can also be responsible.
I mean i really had the attacks under control but seems they have exploded back into my life and i cant take going through all that again

Darius

Frozen in fear
17-01-11, 15:31
Thankyou for the replies. No i stopped the cbt after a few months and just got to the point where i thought i did not need it anymore. I have had an alcohol problem for over 10 years and i know there is a link between that and panic attacks. The withdrawal i am feeling now is bad, shakes , nausea,stomach pains,headaches ,sweating but most of all the return of the dreaded feelings of panic.
I also wondered if citalopram withdrawal can also be responsible.
I mean i really had the attacks under control but seems they have exploded back into my life and i cant take going through all that again

Darius

You Sound like me i was a happy go lucky when drinking with some panic attacks inbetween was starting to feel unwell so stoped drinking then got more unwell so doctors i go so many tests as i have a heart vavle problem thought it was this i am pleased i stoped drinking but still feel unwell because of anxiety fear of going out alone

anx mum
17-01-11, 15:38
Hi

I am knew to this.
I had my first panic attack about 2years ago and endured 6 months of hell on a daily basis. Eventually i was prescribed citalopram and also underwent cbt. This all helped and with my own reading etc i overcame it for over a year.
Recently however i have stopped drinking alcohol (i was drinking alot) and also finished with the citalopram.The panic has come back with a vengeance.I feel terrible,like it will never end again.
Just looking for advice or to hear from people in similar situations.

Darius

Hi like u im back to square one with anxiety and panic its awful isnt it? R u bk on meds now? Do u get physical symptoms hun?

dazoski
17-01-11, 18:02
The last few days i have not drunk and not take citalopram for 2 weeks.I woke up with a hangover sunday and i have spent 2 days in bed. Waves of panic and nausea,sweating.Pains in the chest,feeling like i cant breath,that i will go mad.Most of all the fear this will never end. I know ot can because i overcame it before it just doesnt seem it at the moment.

Darius

anx mum
17-01-11, 18:34
The last few days i have not drunk and not take citalopram for 2 weeks.I woke up with a hangover sunday and i have spent 2 days in bed. Waves of panic and nausea,sweating.Pains in the chest,feeling like i cant breath,that i will go mad.Most of all the fear this will never end. I know ot can because i overcame it before it just doesnt seem it at the moment.

Darius

Yeah the panic is awful no matter how many times u have panic its so scary each time.

dazoski
17-01-11, 19:12
the worst thing is that people you havent experienced it cant imagine it.
Can i ask wot your story is?

Darius