PDA

View Full Version : About to start

AnxiousM
17-01-11, 18:07
Well, I don't know if anyone has read any of my threads before, but after a night of no sleep and crying at work and in front of the doctor, I've been given Mirt 15mg. I'm hoping I don't have the reaction as to that of Citalopram.

Drained and fed up.

M

ElizabethJane
17-01-11, 18:33
Hi M I don't know what reaction you have had with citalopram? There isn't anti anti d that is free from side effects. 15mg of mirtazapine should initially make you feel drowsy which might continue during the following day. You might also feel 'out of it' but these effects should settle down after a few weeks. 15mg is usually a starter dose although some people stay on this and do very well. Your mood will begin to improve after four to six weeks. If you stay on the lower dose then you will continue to benefit from a good nights sleep. I am currently taking 45mg the maximum dose and find that it continues to maintain my mood. I hope that you find some relief from your depression with mirtazapine. Give it some time. EJ.

JT69
17-01-11, 19:47
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you well with mirtazipine. I take 15mg currently (was on 30mg reduced down last August), I was hoping to try and come off but recently have found the depression rearing its ugly head a little so may have to increase to 30mg again for a time, am just waiting to see if it settles on its own before doing that. Mirtazipine has really helped me and I hope it does you too. As EJ says side effects are common and you may feel "out of it" until your body adjusts to the new meds but bear with it and hopefully you will reap the benefits.

Let us know how you get on and please post for support should you need it. I found this forum invaluable when I first joined and dont know what I would of done or still do without the help from the people on here.

Good luck!!!

Jo.xx

AnxiousM
19-01-11, 16:56
Two days in... Sleeping better! Last night wasn't as good, but I fell back to sleep pretty much as soon as I awoke! The best thing is that the tight anxious feeling in my chest has gone. No sighing for air anymore either.

I must admit that waking up and getting out of bed had been tough and feeling a little drowsy in work. I've got a bit of a headache today but at the moment I'd take that over my anxiety all day. Also had some really weird dreams!

I am back to my doc on Friday for a review. I don't want to be in these things for months or weeks. It is nice to almost feel myself again.

Mark

ElizabethJane
19-01-11, 18:30
Hello Mark. The symptoms that you describe are typical of someone starting mirtazapine. The drowsy feelings during the daytime will settle in two to four weeks. The vivid dreams are a side effect of mirtazapine and there is little that can be done to prevent these. Mirtazapine will take two to four weeks to be fully benefitial to you. People are usually on this medication for three to six months. This is to allow you to feel the full benefits of the drug and for a relapse less likely to happen. If you decide to come off mirtazapine prematurely there will be a greater incidence of relapsing. Sometimes the withdrawal process will be perceived as the old illness returning. Doctors will want to insure that you are completely well before coming off the drug. I hope this helps. EJ.

AnxiousM
21-01-11, 13:56
Day 4 on the Mirt...

Head during the day feels a bit drowsy still. Anyone get a funny surge through them? It feels like that of when you're about to fall asleep then you wake yourself up. Had it a few times, it kind of goes through me, like a shockwave running through my nerves. It makes me feel like my head wants to pull to one side almost. Has anyone else felt these?

Sleeping at night which is good and weird dreams are still happening. The anxiety in the chest and sighing has gone. The doctor has recommended upto 6 months for me to stay on them.

metroas
03-02-11, 06:46
I've used mirtazapine for about 6 months, the daytime drowsiness does wear off, but I still find that i HAVE to sleep after taking one. Also, watch your food consumption;) just a warning...

jaynemarie
04-02-11, 15:40
Hi read all the info and thanks it has helped me alot as well. I know how you feel i have just started on mg as well. I do feel very spaced out and almost as if i have the flu, anyone else felt like this. Appreciate any advise, hope we all start to enjoy life again soon xxx

ElizabethJane
04-02-11, 17:23
Dear Jaynemarie I'll try to reply fully to your other post. The spaced out feeling is a normal side effect of the mirt. You should begin to feel a lot better between two to six weeks. If you are not feeling any better then go back to your GP. Mirtazapine needs extra time to work unlike most other anti depressants and you should not feel bad if it takes you a little longer to feel better. Listen to your body and if your mood has not picked up in a few weeks go back to your GP. EJ.

octave28
06-03-11, 19:37
Hi Everyone,

I am starting on M again tommorow, citalopram doesnt work for me. But I heard that you wont lose the weight if you gain in on Mirt, is this true? Apparently you brain homeostasis readjusts so you cant lose the weight???

Kite66
06-03-11, 20:07
Hi i had an awful time on Citalopram and have been on Mirtazapine for 2 weeks, have such vivid dreams so detailed it's amazing, have put on weight too so be careful plan to start dieting tomorrow, does the drowseyness wear off i can lay in bed for the first time of my life, but i want to and need to get a bit more spritely as get up at 5:30 for work and used to cycle the 3 miles but since i started these drugs have stopped the urge for fitness hence the weight gain,

carol123
07-03-11, 13:47
I started taking mirt 5 days ago 15mgs i am sleeping better and no more anxiety

crumble
19-03-11, 00:10
...Anyone get a funny surge through them? It feels like that of when you're about to fall asleep then you wake yourself up. Had it a few times, it kind of goes through me, like a shockwave running through my nerves. It makes me feel like my head wants to pull to one side almost. Has anyone else felt these?

Yep! I had the shockwaves too, but after about 3 weeks they went away. A very strange sensation, it happened to me mostly when something made me jump. Very odd!

...But I heard that you wont lose the weight if you gain in on Mirt, is this true? Apparently you brain homeostasis readjusts so you cant lose the weight???

Where have you heard/read this? I really hope that this is not true! Do you have a link?

JT69
20-03-11, 12:08
Hi,

Just to say I gained around 2 stone on mitazipine and am still taking it and have managed to lose a stone.

Jo.xx