PDA

View Full Version : quitting smoking worked or not?

wigglywoo12
18-01-11, 09:43
hi folks jaut wanted to ask a question to any smokers ex smokers has quitting helped anxiety/panic?

im thinking of quitting soon

thankyou

_Emma
18-01-11, 16:31
I wish I had the courage 2 quit smoking, but whenever I feel really stressed, I have a fag, so I can't imagine not smoking because I wouldn't know what 2 do if I felt really anxious!! Hopefully some ex-smokers will be able 2 give us some advice!

x

mr badger
18-01-11, 16:40
I quit 15 years ago after being properly hard core in my smoking (asthma, bronchitis, pleurisy and all the rest).

It's finding the right motivation that cracks it. For me it was the realisation that the fags controlled me, not that I controlled the fags.

I've just recommended Alan Carr's 'The easy way to Stop Smoking' on another thread. That was my final success after 'giving up' at least 20 times.

Gazz
18-01-11, 16:42
Try and get your anxiety and panic under control first to much to soon you will end up smoking again one step at a time. Giving up at this moment in time when your stressed out isnt the way its destining to fail and that will add to your present state. so when your in a better mood then give it a whirl good luck with it.:)

mr badger
18-01-11, 17:03
Spot on Gazz. Timing is what really makes the difference.

heavenly
18-01-11, 17:34
I smoked off and on, mainly on, for the past 20 years. The day I got my first panic attack back in August, was the last time I had a cigarette. I suppose its because I knew nicotine is a stimulant, I couldn't bear the thought of taking any sort of stimulant when I was feeling so awful. Its been 5 months now and the money I saved on smoking is paying for my counselling. There are times when I really think I need one, but I am trying to do so many things to improve my health/anxiety/depression, that I know that starting again will not help me.

Anxious_gal
18-01-11, 17:55
lol alan carr, I think he changes the way you think about smoking so thats why it helps.
after reading his book I went 3 whole days!!! the longest I have ever gone lol.

Then I had a panic attack and stole a fag off my mum!

I think timing might be key, because if i go maybe 24 hours without smoking I get angry , sad and I cry a lot. I do be miserable, and this is what keeps me smoking :( But I still think if I reach a good place in my life then I will be able to stop :-) I hope

Anxious_gal
18-01-11, 17:58
Try and get your anxiety and panic under control first to much to soon you will end up smoking again one step at a time. Giving up at this moment in time when your stressed out isnt the way its destining to fail and that will add to your present state. so when your in a better mood then give it a whirl good luck with it.:)

Great Advice :yesyes:

European
18-01-11, 18:00
Yes, I realised there was a connection between smoking and getting all the most unpleasant physical reactions of a panic attack when stressed. I had a bit of an epiphany when I panicked one time picking somebody up from the airport. I had been already in a complete state whilst driving up there in a taxi, but then recovered for a minute or two after arrival - until I lit a cigarette, because I felt I desperately needed something to cling on to.

I thought they had the effect of calming me down, but boy, was I wrong: After only a couple of drags the physical sensations of panic went up sky-high with a vengeance, and the same thing happened again over the next couple of hours every time I tried to light up. That's when I realised there is a connection, and that cigarettes didn't calm me down at all, but had quite the opposite effect.

I finally gave up just over three years ago after having been a smoker for 30 years. And I can totally relate to what Mr. Badger mentioned above, as I was sick to the back teeth of my nicotine addiction controlling me and making me nervous and fidgety at the slightest possibility to run out of fags. Not to mention the costs, which are just ridiculous. And of course the health implications. I'm really, really glad that I managed to give up, and never looked back!

ladybird64
18-01-11, 19:47
I wouldn't say quitting has helped me eradicate anxiety or panic but it certainly hasn't done it any harm!

To be honest, I think if we wait for ourselves to be less stressed before we try and give up then it ain't gonna happen!
We will always tell ourselves (subconciously or otherwise) that it's not the right time for reason a, b, c..and continue on.

I do enjoy the benefits of not having to stand in the cold/sweltering heat outside cafés to have a ciggy (used to make me feel like a naughty school kid), there is also the little matter of that cold feeling of doom you get when you realise you haven't got enough smokes and ther is no way to get any more :scared15:..I can definitely live without that one!:yesyes:

_Emma
18-01-11, 20:19
I wouldn't say quitting has helped me eradicate anxiety or panic but it certainly hasn't done it any harm!

To be honest, I think if we wait for ourselves to be less stressed before we try and give up then it ain't gonna happen!
We will always tell ourselves (subconciously or otherwise) that it's not the right time for reason a, b, c..and continue on.

I do enjoy the benefits of not having to stand in the cold/sweltering heat outside cafés to have a ciggy (used to make me feel like a naughty school kid), there is also the little matter of that cold feeling of doom you get when you realise you haven't got enough smokes and ther is no way to get any more :scared15:..I can definitely live without that one!:yesyes:

Haha "feel like a naughty schoolkid" made me laugh, because that it exactly how I feel! I have just came back inside from being out for a cigarette, and u do feel like ur being sent out as if uve done something wrong! And that was my last 1 and I can't get 2 the shop til tomorrow, so now I'm like, aaaaargh!!! Lol :P xx

ladybird64
18-01-11, 20:27
Aha..then you have a golden opportunity Emma! :winks:

Nah, only kidding. When the time is right you will know it, what I would advise is don't use the anxiety for an excuse though.

Of course it makes the anxiety go up for a little while but so does a coffee, palps..take your pick.

Will offer lots of encouragement when you do quit. :)

_Emma
18-01-11, 20:30
U r absolutely right Ladybird, when the time is right, I'll do it. I probably am using my anxiety as an excuse at the moment "oh I can't quit, my anxiety would go up" however I am doing things every day with regards to my exposure therapy which make my anxiety go up, so it is just an excuse! However my friend is coming round in an hour and has asked if I want anything brought in... 20 Mayfair may have been mentioned :whistles:

cherbear32
18-01-11, 20:32
I gave up smoking beginning of November and the motivation was to reduce anxiety. I also started exercising everyday. Nothing too strenuous - just walking my dog. I'm not going to say I don't feel anxiety because I do occasionally but it's greatly reduced and I get days where i feel so relaxed. A state I haven't felt for a long time. I've been trying to give up smoking and have a regular exercise regime for as long as I can remember. Anxiety was the only incentive which got me to quit smoking! I would also recommend Alan Carr's book. I feel it is also important to implement other things that help such as looking into CBT, understanding that anxiety is sensations and the thoughts that trigger the sensations are just thoughts and more than likely not true. I also limit tea and coffee (coffee in morning and tea when get home from work) and they are both caffeine free. All the best with quitting.

Whatsgoinon
18-01-11, 22:58
Quitting smoking is really hard if you are really addicted. It definetly helps to quit it being a stimulant and all but in my experience i found having a cig when i really needed it helped me get a grip for while. Maybe it is best to try and cut down first if you can. The thing with smoking is that i messes with your cardiovascular system so if it is not relaxing you and especially if it is getting in the way of other healthy activities like exercise then try and keep it to a minimum, i say that as the stresses of quitting smoking cold turkey could be difficult for people.

Exercise really is a massive tool against anxiety - that and meditation/breathing and distraction i would say are the best defences. but you have to find something that works for you. : )

heavenly
19-01-11, 09:36

I can relate that! lol It hasn't been easy but I am so glad I have given up. I felt that smoking held me prisoner, I was always thinking about the next one, or looking for somewhere where I could smoke, freezing my whatsits off lol.

racdun
19-01-11, 12:01
www.quitnet.com I gave up just over a year ago and feel absolutely so much better for it. No panic attack since and anxiety nearly normal. I have worked hard myself with learning all about anxiety and doing my own cbt but def quitting was a great decision. I smoked 20 a day for 17 years. Wouldn't have done it without the help I got on the website above though.
Rachael

xBettyBoopx
19-01-11, 20:06
I gave up 9.9.09, without any support, I just woke up one day and said that I wasn't going to smoke anymore! I smoked for 37 years, about 20 a day and went through hell with withdrawal! But I was already going through hell for another reason.

One good thing is that my anxiety has lessoned a lot, unfortunately I now have major depression!! Like the saying goes "If it ain't one thing....it's another"

Els

Magic
19-01-11, 20:36
Hi,I gave up smoking about 14years ago because of my health.I had heart by pass . I still miss it tho.When I am stressed I have a strong cup of tea/coffee and a tranquilizer. Wich is best the meds or a ciggy????