PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram + Mirtazapine Combo. Worried about serotonin syndrome.

turtleonaleash
18-01-11, 19:52
Hi all,

I was doing really well but then my life totally fell apart again and my agoraphobia came back stronger then ever. I have been taking Mirtazapine for 9+ years and although it has no effect on my anxiety, it really helps me sleep still. I went to my psychiatrist and he prescribed me 10mg of Citalopram in the morning and he made no mention of stopping my mirtazapine at night.

I have a lot... and I mean a LOT of anxiety regarding taking new medications. It absolutely terrifies me, but I need to get a hold on my life again. I've been taking the 10mg of citalopram every morning but I am terrified to take my mirtazapine at night now.

I am supposed to take 15 mg but I've been breaking it up into tiny pieces and I take 1/4 one night and maybe 1/3 the next night... and then I go into full blown panic mode until I finally fall asleep. A long time ago when I started the Mirtazapine I was also put on Paxil so I have taken a mirtazapine + ssri combo, but my anxiety was not that bad back then. Now it's controlling every aspect of my life. Sigh.

Has anyone been on a mirtazapine + ssri combo and if so, did you develop serotonin syndrome?

Also I've lost a lot of weight recently, due to anxiety, so I'm afraid that the medication will effect me more since I am so thin now.

suzy-sue
18-01-11, 22:00
Your dose of each medication is not enough to get Serotonin syndrome .You are on the minimal dose of each .Take the15mg of Mirtazapine ,what you are doing isnt doing any good whatsoever .You cant take this like this .You need to take the correct dose each day .The cit will take a while to work then you will start to improve .All you are doing now by not taking the Mirt properly is giving yourself a yo yo effect .Both these drugs wrork on different chemicals in the brain so you can mix them ok .I hope you feel better soon . sue x:hugs:

ElizabethJane
18-01-11, 22:08
Mirtazapine can be used as an 'add on' ie with other ssris as it is an snri and slightly different in makeup. I used to be on lithium, mirtazapine and dothiepin as well! Try not to worry about the combo just concentrate on getting well. I'm sorry that you have had a setback and I hope you feel better soon. EJ.