PDA

View Full Version : Irregular heartbeat, palpitations, scared witless

ann88
18-01-11, 20:33
I'm so scared and I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for about 4 years now, and i used to get a lot of ectopics which I was just kind of coming to terms with. I've had many tests before including ECGs, 24hr tape, 48hr tape, echo test, blood tests etc. All ok. Harmless ectopics.

Just recently I've been experiencing these TOTALLY DIFFERENT irregular heartbeats. It is terrifying. It's not ectopics, it just feels like my heart goes crazy for a few seconds.it doesnt really last long enough for me to take note of exactly what it's doing, it just feels so awful that it sends me into a blind panic. It's happened a few times now over the last 3-4 weeks or so. I can feel a huge thump in my throat and loads of beats together, although I'm not sure what the rhythm of those beats is (if that makes sense). Whatever it is it feels just awful.

I'm scared that it's some kind of atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia or some other scary named heart condition. I don't really know for sure what either of those are, but they don't sound good and I do know that the funny beats I'm experiencing now are totally different to anything I've had in the past.

I have mentioned it to a GP and he wasnt concerned, but I guess I'm worried that since I've had all the tests in the past and found that the ectopics were harmless, they will just think I'm experiencing the same and not investigate properly.

Has anybody else experienced this, or can anybody give me any advice or reassurance? I'm so scared that one day it will happen but not go back to normal and send me into some kind of fatal arrythmia or something. :weep:

countrygirl
18-01-11, 21:58
Wow I have had exact same problem - I have had ectopics for over 20 years but the thump flutter etc would only last a second or so although at their worst it could be every 5th beat but then a few months ago things changed and I stopped getting the constant one off ectopics and had attacks where my heart would seem to be fluttering all over place for about 8 seconds and I then feel peculair and total panic and faintish and then racing heart. I even ended up in casualty but all tests fine. I have had 24hr ecg and just had an event moniter for three weeks but as these attacks are so fast I cannot get the moniter to my chest in time to record them from start. I have seen cardiologist and he said he is certain its just multiple ectopics as I had then on the 24hr ecg and anthing that lasts so short a time and does not make you actually black out is very unlikely to be a harmful arrythmia.
I will go back to see him a couple of weeks so will let you know what he says.
I have noticed that the bad attacks have been shortly after I have a full stomach and am always bending forward slightly at time.

ann88
18-01-11, 22:10
Thanks so much for replying. I would love it if you could let me know how you get on at your appointment in a couple of weeks. So did you get one of these funny episodes when you had the 24hr monitor? I think that is the only thing that would reassure me - to have a doctor actually see what is happening so that they know for sure what it is. I am trying to convince myself that it won't be anything major because I'm not blacking out or getting chest pain at the same time as these flutters, but I'm just so worried that it's leading to something serious, like what if next time it doesnt go back to normal?!

I can't see any pattern to mine, as I've had them when sat down, stood up and led in the bath, and there's no link to having a full stomach in my case. It's just terrifying isn't it! :scared15: Every other symptom I can just about cope with but this is just the worst of the worst. Convinced I'm on the verge of heart failure.

Thanks again for your reply and please do let me know how you get on :D

ann88
19-01-11, 17:56
Please if anybody else reads this and has experienced the same or can reassure me, feel free to reply or pm me, i would appreciate it! Thanks very much :)

Whatsgoinon
19-01-11, 18:32
Hi Ann88,

Sounds to me like 1) anxiety and 2) you have done the right thing by going to your dr anyway. Your heart is a pretty sturdy muscle in the body it has to be when you think about it. It is also very linked to anxiety - when we go into a fight and flight reponse it has to prepare our muscles for action so it is very sensitive to way we are feeling about our health - hence the cyclical feeling of - somethings wrong, pay extra attention, something is even more wrong now and the spirally symptoms. Your heart responds to how you are feeling quickly and if you are feeling panicky then it may well sound funny. some people describe it as a bubbling under the chest or as you have said a quick flurry of beats - like a quick flurry of anxious thoughts - or a quick flurry of breathes - or a quick increase in temperature - s(ee the similarities) Try doing some mild exercise like swimming for example and see what affect it has on your heart - check with your dr first and ask them if they think you are ok to do this - you will see through exercise that you can control your heart rate better (in this instance it will be your intentiol actions that invoke the changes in heart rate and not the sometimes subconcious anxiety that can hit us out of the blue and quite understandly terriffy us as we cannot understand what is going on and therefore feel we cannot control it). But all in all i would say you shouldn't worry too much about your symptoms as it by far most likely anxiety and that can't hurt you.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Polariceswim
19-01-11, 18:46
It's anxiety. The funny thing with anxiety is that it never shows up at the doctors office. I used to have heart palpatations, still do on occasion, but remind myself that I've had blood word and EKG's and it all came back that my heart is in perfect condition. I realised that I have to listen to my doctor and accept that I'm healthy

It really helps to remind yourself that there are people in the world that are sick and in constant pain from real diseases and you're not one of them. You are healthy, just keep reminding yourself that.

jannyk
19-01-11, 18:46
HI I've had similar ectopics etc but also have what i would describe as a run of ectopics then everything settles down. Have had 24hr tape and event monitor but other than the odd ectopic nothing happened. Like you i always worry about what to do if it carries on. Went to A & E once they said if it persists just phone 999 - they told me off (in a very nice way :)) and said they would rather i did that and they could check me on ecg than to ignore it/ So far everything has always settled but i agree it is very scary. Have seen cardiologist and he doesn't seem unduly concernd. I think i just worry about making a fuss when i know deep down that my anxiety is probably aggravating things.

kg78
30-01-11, 18:04
Hi Ann

I have just this evening had exactly what you described only it lasted a good 30 seconds. Heart felt totally irregular, floppy in my chest and a bubbling feeling underneath my heart. I panicked, felt like I couldn't breathe, ran out the front door and seemed to calm a bit when the cold air hit me. Of course I stupidly googled and have been in a state of high anxiety since then! I'm going to my GP tomorrow to see what he thinks. Interestingly it happened just after dinner and as I was bending over to put something in the dishwasher so reading what Countrygirl said has reassured me slightly, for tonight!