PDA

View Full Version : xanax vs ativan

breanna
19-01-11, 11:03
so i have taken xanax and ativan, its so funny cuz my doctor says its the same drug and will work the same! I had noticed it does not ativan is.more sedating and makes u more tired and out of it! xanax takes the edge off makes me.happy and i can function! i did a lil research and said that xanax was specifically for.anxiety and panic attacks and ativan is used for.anxiety, but also before medical procedures! which i suffer from the major.panic attacks! im just curious.if.anyone else has experienced this or.if.its.just my pregnancy hormones!

richellemedina
19-01-11, 17:31
Not far from there. Xanax is the strongest benzo for anxiety, it is much stronger than Ativan. I think that 1 mg of Xanax would be the equivalent of about 5-10 mg Ativan. I may be a bit far but there are conversion tables benzo dose online you can check to be sure.

xBettyBoopx
19-01-11, 20:01
Hi there

Well correct me if I'm wrong but isn't xanax an anti-depressant?
The two medications are nothing alike at all, so much for doctors!!

I have no experience with xanax but I take ativan/lorazepam. Ativan is very strong. 1mg of it is equal to 10mg of valium!

KK77
19-01-11, 20:16
Lorazepam (Ativan) and alprazolam (Xanax) are both benzodiazepines and therefore similar. Xanax is said to be stronger than diazepam and lorazepam and are all anti-anxiety/panic meds that work in the same way.

Never heard of Xanax being used for depression Els but doctors in the UK don't seem to prescribe it - unlike in the US.

You just have to see which drug works best for you Breanna - although they're the same class of drugs they're still different chemical compounds.

mtatum4496
19-01-11, 20:38
Lorazepam (Ativan) and alprazolam (Xanax) are both benzodiazepines and therefore similar. Xanax is said to be stronger than diazepam and lorazepam and are all anti-anxiety/panic meds that work in the same way.

Never heard of Xanax being used for depression Els but doctors in the UK don't seem to prescribe it - unlike in the US.

You just have to see which drug works best for you Breanna - although they're the same class of drugs they're still different chemical compounds.

This is my understanding also. I think where some of the confusion comes in is that if one has anxiety and later develops depression as a result, taking Xanax alleviates the anxiety that is causing the depression, leaving the individual feeling better on both counts. So while Xanax is not an anti-depressant, it may help with factors that underpin the depression, hastening recovery from that particular condition.

My doctor also told me that of the benzos, Xanax is the best option for anyone who has agoraphobia along with the anxiety and panic attacks.

xBettyBoopx
20-01-11, 16:05
I stand corrected!:blush::blush::blush::blush:
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/09/sorry.jpg
For wrong information:noangel::noangel: Just ignore me lol:doh::doh: