PDA

View Full Version : Should have done this years ago...

SteveS
28-03-06, 12:43
... but I never did.

Hi my name's Steve, and I have been off work for about three weeks now with anxiety/depression, this latest bout brought on breakup of my relationship and the consequent fact that I have to get rid of my flat in three weeks' time - it's rented and I can't afford to keep it. Although I work full-time, it's expensive here (Brighton) and I really don't know what I'm going to do. Have been taking Citalopram for one day!

Hoping to find some inspiration and help here, and to give what I can in return.

Steve

trac67
28-03-06, 12:47
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Have a good look about the forum and feel free to ask any questions.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
28-03-06, 13:01
Welcome Steve :D

Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Alexandra
28-03-06, 13:14
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum.

You will find lots of help & support on here.

I have also gone through anxiety & depression, still do a little with the anxiety but it will pass the same as it will do with you.

I take the same tablets as you & they will settle with you & should help.

Keep positive

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

arethaire
28-03-06, 13:39
Hi Steve

I only found this site in January but I've found loads of useful information. At least we know we are not alone .....

Cath x

jackie
28-03-06, 13:42
hi steve. we will help you all you can

all i can tell you is you are not alone, and i know for me that was a great relief

jackie

SteveS
28-03-06, 13:44
Thanks to all for caring.

Steve X

andrew england 2
28-03-06, 14:09
good luck steve

trevor
28-03-06, 14:13
HEY STEVE,

welcome mate anytime pm me ok,,

your very wecome here,,

trevor,:D

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

dani
28-03-06, 14:35
HI

Know exactly where you're at I've been off 5 months now did go back in January and lasted a day. Lucky I've got an understanding manager even put in my resignation at one point which he refused to accept keep going.

Best wishes

dani

SteveS
28-03-06, 14:38
Thank you all once again. Had a bad childhood - hit and locked in cupboards by my mother, who also put mustard on my tongue for 'answering back'. Father didn't do much to prevent it. Have had some pretty heavy-duty rejections over the years, and this latest one has pushed me over the edge.

Had a beautiful moment with my son (who is 25) - at the weekend, though. Told him for the first time about my childhood, and told him that I had always made the decision that this would never happen to him. He held me in his arms while I cried and told me he was proud I am his father.

Maybe there's some good in this after all.

Steve

'When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.'

SteveS
28-03-06, 14:42
Hi Dani, hope you're well.

Good to have an understanding manager, isn't it? Mine was off for about a year herself with similar issues, and has been very supportive. At least I still have a job!

Steve

'When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.'

Coni
28-03-06, 15:13
Hi Steve ,

I only found this site myself a little while ago and its great. Hang on in there. I was off work last year for seven months with stress/depression and was on cipralex and propanolol for almost a year. I've been back at work for a few months now. have just managed to come off medication. Its hard sometimes but you can do it, and the knowledge that you're not alone will help you. The support you will recieve here will help you through.

Coni X

SteveS
28-03-06, 15:20
Hi Coni, and thanks for your support. Glad to know this thing can be beaten or at least managed. Also very glad to know that you are getting better.

Steve X

nomorepanic
28-03-06, 18:19
Hi Steve

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

I hope you get some great support on here and find some answers to all your questions. If not then just ask!

Nicola

SteveS
28-03-06, 18:31
Thanks for the welcome, Nicola. from what I've read here you have been a source of inspiration to so many. Enjo your break!

Steve X

Karen
28-03-06, 20:28
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you've been through a lot and some therapy could be beneficial in addition to the medication.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Have you sought some advice about the flat situation and finding accommodation?

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

solota
28-03-06, 20:29
Hi
I live down the road from you in Sompting. I too have panic/anxiety. My relationship is not good and I know exactly what you are feeling. I started Citrapram 10mg 5 weeks ago and then increased to 20mg 1 week ago. The side effects are not wonderful but I have to say I am starting to feel slightly better now. I have suffered with bouts of this on and off for a few years but this is the worst I ever been. I have however moved house, adopted 2 small boys and struggled with my relationship. Stress is an unbelievable nightmare and can make you feel so bad. Don't worry though because from what I've heard on this site Citrapram is the best one for you and I promise you will get better. I know how hard it is to stay positive but just let me know if you want to talk.

nomorepanic
28-03-06, 20:56
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thanks for the welcome, Nicola. from what I've read here you have been a source of inspiration to so many. Enjo your break!

Steve X

<div align="right">Originally posted by SteveS - 28 March 2006 : 19:31:11</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
Thanks Steve

I am still here - just taking a rest for a few days. Need to stay off PC all day and night.

Always here to answer any queries though.

Nicola

May Day
28-03-06, 22:07
Hi Steve

I'm new here too but i all ready feel better for being with people who can share and understand how things are ... i'm sure you'll find some great support here too ... it sounds like you have a very understanding and caring son so make the most out of the closeness you have found with him

Take care
May

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Tector Gorch
28-03-06, 22:17
Hi Steve

Welcome to the site. Whatever your problems with anxiety, you'll find loads of support and help here, I can promise you.

And hey - you've got a son who loves you, that's a wonderful thing.

Stay strong.

Tector

lisarose
29-03-06, 10:42
Hi Steve and welcome to the forum you will find invaluable support here and make some new friends. Sorry to hear you have been through such a rough time but things will get better in time you just have to believe it.
Take care
Love Lisax

Ma Larkin
29-03-06, 10:55
Hi Steve, welcome to NMP. Break-ups seem to play a big part in anxiety/depression don't you think. The flat issue must be really upsetting for you too. Depending on your income, could you not get any help with housing benefit. I realise yo work full-time but some people are entitled to some help depending on how much they earn. Failing that, if you have a spare room, have you considered renting it out? I've just started on meds too, Prozac for me & its really helped for the past 2 weeks although its probably not in my system yet, mind over matter knowing me!! Anyway mate, you will find this site reassuring & get tons of advice. Its wonderful that you've talked to your son so openly. Hope things ease off for you soon.

Take care.

Les, xx

SteveS
29-03-06, 12:48
Thanks to everyone who has replied since my last post - Karen, solota, May Day, Techtor Gorch (where did that name come from?), lisarose and Ma Larkin, everyone who's posted here before, and all the members of this site. Every one of you is a kind, caring, supportive person, and I hope that you have others who feel the same way I do towards you.

Been to the Brighton Housing Trust this morning - they were very good and helped me clarify my options. Think I may just be able to get somewhere else, and if I do may be eligible for housing benefit (thanks, Ma!). Still taking the meds - even though I was told that they may take a couple of weeks to kick in, they seem to be doing some good at the moment, although the wonderful support I have received here has also helped tremendously. Back to see the Mental Health Nurse tomorrow.

Hope you are all keeping well and thriving. If anyone needs anything or just wants to talk, I'm here.

Steve X

jackie
29-03-06, 12:54
so glad your gettin help here , just hollar if you have any questions

jackie

Ma Larkin
29-03-06, 13:20
Glad you feel a bit better now you've been to the Housing Trust. The neds do take a couple of weeks to kick in Steve, but I think just knowing that you are taking them makes you feel just that little bit better. I've only been on mine 2 weeks & I've been fine so far. Keep us posted on the mental health visit tomoz. Hope you feel tons better once you've been.

Les, xx

Meg
29-03-06, 16:09
Hello Steve

Start at step one and work your way forwards. One step each time and break unmanageable issues down into smaller chunks

Common Symptoms of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms)

First Steps: First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=healthanxiety)

Links post: Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress