PDA

View Full Version : Facing the fear

Veronica H
20-01-11, 19:21
:) Hi all

Today I struggled through a visit to the hairdressers 2hrs and 20mins and am exhausted but glad I did it. In the words of the great Dr Claire Weekes "A journey made with panic is as valuable as a journey made without it". This is not really a success story in that I thought I had cracked the hairdressers having completed a few uncomfortable sessions there and then being panic free on one visit after that. I just wanted to say that had I cancelled the appointment (which I nearly did this morning) then from past experience, it would have reinforced the irrational fear and made it less likely that I would ever go back.
Although I had flashes of panic, and a racing heart when the dye was applied I can honestly say that looking at myself in the mirror the only way anyone would have known this would be if I told them. This is worth remembering as I used to think that everyone noticed when I was distressed. Panic anxiety is very much an internal struggle for the most part, unless we choose to make a run for the door with a towel elaborately tied around our head in the shape of a mortar board(??how do they do that??). i look fabulous by the way:wink: even if i say so myself.
:bighug1:hugs allxxV

JaneC
20-01-11, 19:46
Well done Veronica! A couple of us posted on someone else's thread earlier today about avoidance and reinforcing fears. I'd like post a link to this on Midgey's thread if you don't mind?

Glad your looking good :yesyes:

gaaron
20-01-11, 19:52
That's brill story Veronica! Congrats :):yesyes:xx

Dean 2200
20-01-11, 20:16
Congrats Veronica. Really nice to hear a positive story!!

Veronica H
20-01-11, 22:18
:yesyes:Thanks Everyone
Vx

willitstop
21-01-11, 10:28
well done :)

Ambers
21-01-11, 18:34
Well done, I did the hairdressing appointment recently..not easy and like you felt worried about running out with foils in my hair :D

Now you need to go out and show off your new hair ;)

shoegal
21-01-11, 19:29
Well done. I've not been to the hairdressers for years because I'm scared of being 'trapped' in the chair if you know what I mean. My hair is a mess and I would love to be brave enough to do what you have done. You GO GIRL!!! :yesyes:

Nigel
21-01-11, 19:53
Hi Veronica,

Well done :yesyes:
I would consider this a success story, and your hair looks nice :winks:

“I can honestly say that looking at myself in the mirror the only way anyone would have known this would be if I told them. This is worth remembering as I used to think that everyone noticed when I was distressed.”

That’s so true. My friend sometimes had panic attacks, and for a long time I never knew unless she told me afterwards. Over the years I got to know her probably too well, and I could usually tell by little character changes, but not by looking at her.

Onwards and upwards Veronica :)
Nigel

Veronica H
02-02-11, 08:56
:yesyes:Thanks. Wishing you all well.
Vx