PDA

View Full Version : Hello, newbie here

katrininengland
21-01-11, 11:03
Hi everyone,
I'm new. I decided this morning to try and find some help.
It's my partner, Reuben, who suffers from panic attacks. I was woken last night with him standing in front of the wide open bedroom window. He has asthma and when he has a panic attack he thinks that he can't breathe.

He has been suffering with panic attacks for about 1 1/2 years now. He is not as bad as some, he is still working and has not stopped leaving the house or anything like that. But I'm worried that one day it will escalate to this.

This monday I have started maternity leave. Our (first) baby is due on 9th February. We are both extremely excited and I know he will make a great dad. Obviously, this is an anxious time for me and I'm worried how he will cope. I thought that it would "take his mind off things". Now I know that it's quite the opposite. He confessed to me a couple of months ago that he is more anxious than ever because he is worried about dying and leaving me and little one behind.

And that what is greatest worry is. Dying. He constantly feels unwell, small twinges, aches and pains... He thinks that there is something seriously wrong with him. At 17 he lost his mum in a sudden car accident. 3 years ago he lost his dad who died after suffering for a long time after a devastating stroke. Reuben is now 36 and I don't think he has ever spoken to anyone about his mum's death and I know he feels kind of hard done by. He lost all his self-confidence. He is intelligent and successful but always doubts his abilities which I put down to losing his mum's support so early on. He has three brothers and a sister and they are all extremely close, but never talk about the terrible past.

I really want to help him feel better and get through this. I love him very much and he is absolutely "the one" for me. I hope to find lots of useful info on here to try and understand exactly what he's going through.

Sorry for the long post! Feel much better already :-)
Kat

diane07
21-01-11, 11:05
Hi katrininengland

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Vanilla Sky
21-01-11, 11:27
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

Tero
21-01-11, 12:33
If he has some spare time, exercise might help. I know ther will be a baby around, so you may need help around the house. But when it looks like it is too much for him, send him outside for long walks or short jogs, a 1 mile walk at brisk pace may be enough. Adrenalin builds up in anxiety, and you really cant burn it off with pacing around holding a baby.

The time off from home may relax him too, a treadmill would not help with that.

Good luck.

buster_uk1967
21-01-11, 16:10
Just wanted to welcome you to this wonderful site.