PDA

View Full Version : Breast lumps - Ladies please reply.

merrysee
22-01-11, 09:59
Hello there, i've posted a thread about this topic a few days ago, but could really do with hearing some positive stories about my problem. I should prob point out i'm only 30, but am aware people can get cancer at any age.
About 8 days ago on a friday night i discovered a lump, on the side of my left breast, towards my left arm side. It's hard, smooth in texture, and feels about the size of a garden pea, it appears to be slightly mobile, initally it was pain in that area that made me aware of the problem, however the pain seems to have sub-sided a tad since discovering the lump, i sould also point out i had breast implants placed approx 9 months ago.

I went to my gp on the monday after, following a horrendous weekend of sheer and utter terror, that i had breast cancer and was going to die, leaving my 2 small children of 4 and 1 with out a mummy.

My gp felt the lump and said she didn't think it was sinister but wanted me to see a consultant and have a mammogram, i left the surgery feeling a tad numb, why on earth would i need to see a consultant on top of having a mammogram, does she think there is a problem?

The refurral arrived 3 days later and my appointment to the breast clinic is on the following monday, so exactally 1 week after seeing her, i'm so teffified, i've been so unwell since august last year, after being diagnoised with a GA and HA disorder, but now i'm thinking maybe i've been ill because i have cancer growing inside my body.

We lost my husbands mother in April 2009 to a rare mouth cancer, she was dianoised then died 9 months later, watching her go through that awful experience has made me so scared i'm going to die, i'm not one of these people who could be really positive about having cancer saying i'm going to beat it etc, i'm in such a bad place, taking everything out on my husband, i've never felt so low, haven't stopped crying all week, keep thinking if i do have cancer that i'd rather they end my life there and then.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE advise me on what to do, i don't know how i'll cope all weekend waiting for Mondays appointment.

Kind regards a very VERY scared ladie right now.

merrysee
22-01-11, 10:35
anyone please?

merrysee
22-01-11, 11:44
anyone please?

Shelz77
22-01-11, 11:53
awww ya poor chicky! try not to worry too much, Its usually protocol to have all that done, the mammogram and consultant. Take care :hugs:

yvonne_uk_98
22-01-11, 11:55
Hi Merrysee,

So sorry your going through this rough time, well done going to your gp. though your gp dose not think there is anything to worry about, I think she sending you there to help put your mind at ease. they are very good at the clinic, they are supportive. I hope you get things sorted, when you go to the clinic, I hope this helps to put your mind at ease and that it will be nothing serious. I will keep you in my prayers.

Yvonne

countrygirl
22-01-11, 12:55
By the end of Monday you will know as they do all the tests in one go and give you the results at breast clinics. Remember that breast implants can cause breast lumps as your body reacts to the implants ask any breast Dr they see alot of this as its the bodies reaction to a foreign body - you should have been warned of this when you had the breast enlargement????

The chances of this being breast cancer at your age is miniscule but only the breast clinic can tell you 100% - what I try and remember when I feel like you is " is panicking actually helping in any way to change the outcome" and of course the answer is always always NO. It would be different if you suddenly collapsed with severe chest pains etc then yes panic and call an ambulance but panicking now won't help or influence the eventual diagnosis one jot all it does is make you feel terrible. I'm not saying you should be jumping around with a smile on your face:lac: anyone would be a bit worried but out and out panic and dread won't help.

HOpe this helps its not meant as a criticism at all.

merrysee
22-01-11, 13:32
Thx country girl I know your right, just have got myself in such a state, I don't know why but I just have a feeling you know, every minute at the moment seems like an hour and I don't know how I'm going to get through the rest of the weekend, then wait till Monday 5.20pm, I'm praying that it is related to implants, I wish I'd never had them done now, am also hoping if there some sort of cancer there, my surgeon would of seen it when he opened them up, it was only 9 months ago after all.

nessque
22-01-11, 13:35
Telling you not to worry is not going to help, but honestly please don't worry. Even if it was the worse case scenario you have caught it in time. Now a days lots of people live even after Cancer.
My Aunt was in her 40's found a pea sized lump and did what you did, went to the doctors, tests where done immediately and she is in very good health now, amazing health. check ups every now and again but its over 5 years. So even if it is and I am not saying for one moment it is anything sinister, you will be fine hun.

So many negative experiences pop up in the News, the Internet and those girlie magazines, but please don't worry, its all ways good to get these things checked out and nip them in the bud so to speak. let us know how you get on, praying for your peace of mind.
xxx A.

midgey
22-01-11, 14:08
Hi,
I will tell you my story in an attempt to let you see that the process of referral etc doesn't necessarily mean that there is soemthing wrong.
I too had pain in my breast, I couldnt feel a lump, but went to the GP who found 2 lumps in one breast and one in the other. I was referred to the local breast clinic. Under NICE guidelines you have to be seen within 2 weeks, so that why ur appt is so quick....its a government target.
I was seen, the consultant drew all over my breasts with black felt tip....I was terrified. I had mammograms of both breasts and ultrasounds of both breasts.......and it showed glandular tissue.
I then, about 3 months later found another lump myself, again i was referred and again they said its glandular tissue.
I have been told to come back again as many times as I need as obviously u should never ignore lumps.
BUT.....my story shows that the referral etc is quick due to government targets, not because the GP is really concerned.
My advice is to take your husband/partner with you for the appt........nearly evryone there was with someone, it really daunting otherwise.
Nobody can begin to guess about what your lump is on here, but hopefully from others experiences you will see that for most of us, lumps are harmless.
Good Luck, and let us know how you get on,

merrysee
22-01-11, 15:08
thx Midgey, i will also point out, so if this is too much information, but i came on my period today too, it was a week ago that i experienced pain then found "THE LUMP", so i'm hoping and praying it's hormonal, please please please, let it be, anyone had similar experience?

sandradee
22-01-11, 20:58
Didn't happen to me but it did to my friend. She had a lump (age mid thirties) which they decided to remove.

She was in hospital ready for the op and they decided it was hormonal, sorry can't remember as it was so long ago, but she either just started her period or just finished. consultant came round and said she was 'free to leave' which she did pronto minus an op. She's alive and well so please try not to worry too much.

Also I found what I felt as a lump years ago. My nice lady doctor said to just keep an eye on it to see if it changes. She didn't think it was sinister. Of course I prodded and poked for a while but eventually I put it on the backburner. 25 years on and I had a clear mammogram 10 months ago. It was probably a bit of fibrous tissue just as yours will most likely be. Very common at your age.

Good luck.

Jan63
23-01-11, 19:52
Hello there, i've posted a thread about this topic a few days ago, but could really do with hearing some positive stories about my problem. I should prob point out i'm only 30, but am aware people can get cancer at any age.
About 8 days ago on a friday night i discovered a lump, on the side of my left breast, towards my left arm side. It's hard, smooth in texture, and feels about the size of a garden pea, it appears to be slightly mobile, initally it was pain in that area that made me aware of the problem, however the pain seems to have sub-sided a tad since discovering the lump, i sould also point out i had breast implants placed approx 9 months ago.

I went to my gp on the monday after, following a horrendous weekend of sheer and utter terror, that i had breast cancer and was going to die, leaving my 2 small children of 4 and 1 with out a mummy.

My gp felt the lump and said she didn't think it was sinister but wanted me to see a consultant and have a mammogram, i left the surgery feeling a tad numb, why on earth would i need to see a consultant on top of having a mammogram, does she think there is a problem?

The refurral arrived 3 days later and my appointment to the breast clinic is on the following monday, so exactally 1 week after seeing her, i'm so teffified, i've been so unwell since august last year, after being diagnoised with a GA and HA disorder, but now i'm thinking maybe i've been ill because i have cancer growing inside my body.

We lost my husbands mother in April 2009 to a rare mouth cancer, she was dianoised then died 9 months later, watching her go through that awful experience has made me so scared i'm going to die, i'm not one of these people who could be really positive about having cancer saying i'm going to beat it etc, i'm in such a bad place, taking everything out on my husband, i've never felt so low, haven't stopped crying all week, keep thinking if i do have cancer that i'd rather they end my life there and then.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE advise me on what to do, i don't know how i'll cope all weekend waiting for Mondays appointment.

Kind regards a very VERY scared ladie right now.

They do refer you pretty quick. I think I was seen within just over a week when I had a lump. I went to the doctors Friday evening and on the following Monday they rang me with an appointment for the following Monday. I panicked too thinking it must be something really bad to get an appointment so quickly.:ohmy: I had two lots of mammograms and ultrasound and then they told me it was a cyst and they drained it there and then. It sounds to me like this is what you could have as they are pretty common. I think GP's have a pretty good idea whether the lumps are cancerous or not when they feel them. Mine said she thought it was cyst and if it moves and is smooth that's good. Loads of hugs because I know how scary it is. :hugs: :hugs:

merrysee
25-01-11, 09:00
Thx for all the replys guy's, well i went for my appointment last night, the doctor used just the ultrasound scanner, straight away she said it looks like a swollen lymph gland, and if i was really worried about it she'd do a biopsy, well i got so upset that she insisted she do a biopsy so i'd know one way or another, she did point out that it didn't look like anything sinister and she was between 90% and 95% that it's not cancer. They did the biopsy, then she said she'd rather i came in so i could see the doctor face to face for the results, now i'm totally freaking, why would she want to see me to tell me the results i asked her could i not ring up for them but she said she wanted me to come in, do you think this is normal procedures, im so worried and have to wait a whole week now, please can someone help me put my mind at rest, has this happened to anyone else?

PrinceOfWorry
25-01-11, 09:40
That could merely be a lymph node. Lymph nodes can become slightly swollen for any number of relatively benign reasons. Of course is always good to know for sure, but I would say statistics suggest a benign enlargement of a lymph node. Could be a slight infection somewhere in your body. A cat scratch. Could be stress. Could be nothing.

merrysee
13-02-11, 10:17
Well it turned out to be a normal lymph node, I'm so relieved, Thanks to everyone that left a comment.:yesyes:

Jan63
13-02-11, 18:28
That's brilliant news, I'm so happy for you. :hugs::hugs: I also had an enlarged lymph node on the other breast than what I had the lump but the consultant said it was fine after they checked it on the mammogram and ultrasound.