PDA

View Full Version : hurting myself in my sleep

daisycake
22-01-11, 11:11
Seems a bit bizzare but I remember vaguely hurting myself in my sleep last night - I remember being very angry/upset at something in my dream and then harming myself - and woke up this morning with the bruise to prove it? Asked my mum for advice who said not to worry? don't know why I would do that in my sleep, worried? I have my GP on friday so will try to tell her but I'm going to be scared to sleep now.

daisycake
22-01-11, 11:38
It's maybe best not to tell my GP incase she gets the wrong idea? :wacko:

daisycake
22-01-11, 12:13
Dr Google says it may be a night terror, or a nocturnal seizure - I'm guessing the first of the two as I clearly remember doing it - remember it hurting, sort of waking up and then falling back asleep all the while not fully aware of what had happened.. I used to suffer from bad night terrors as a child so I wonder if its linked.. Will wear socks over my hands when I go to sleep tonight though..

yvonne_uk_98
22-01-11, 13:08
Hi daisycakes,

sorry to hear that you had a nigtmare, and hurt yourself, this can happen, I went to my gp and told him what happened and he was understanding about it. like you, when I told someone in my family, they did not believe me. all I did was talk to my gp about it. all I was told was to be careful and take care. sorry this is not much of a help. hope you get a good night sleep tonight and dont have anymore nightmares.

Yvonne

Hazel B
22-01-11, 19:21
Try wearing gloves in bed, they may feel odd and a bit hot but it could help. I'm sure your GP is used to all sorts of issues so don't worry about asking them.

Hope you sleep better later. x

daisycake
22-01-11, 21:02
Thank you both :hugs: will definitely try the socks/gloves thing... maybe sleep with the window open as well as it was quite hot, and I must have slept in an akward position as my neck/arms are sore and stiff. Still really scared I took a seizure but with seizures its more scratching isnt it. And not to be graphic but I definitely bit myself. Thankfully not as hard as I normally would. Ah well. Hopefully be OK xx

Hazel B
22-01-11, 22:40
Do check with your doc Daisy, there may be things that can help you.

Sleep well.

daisycake
22-01-11, 22:49
Yeah I will do; the last time I mentioned s/harming she was quite nice about it all and explained why it happens etc, I'm getting CBT at the moment too.. Have CBT Friday morning and doctor Friday afternoon.. busy week too so no time to worry - exams Mon/Tues, and sister has an Op on Thurs so going in to hospital with them to help mum... ah well.. Thanks for advice :hugs: x

mabel
23-01-11, 21:59
:hugs:

I have night terrors. I don't hurt myself, but I don't half scream and shout! My poor OH! Apparently I shout and scream (lots of screaming!) for at least 20 mins every night! Plus I can also sing for about 20 minutes too!!!!

It used to bother me a lot. But since I've realised I actually cant do anything about it, so there is no point worrying, its got less and less. I don't do it so much any more. Perhaps once a month or so. It happens if I'm very stressed. But I don't worry about it now.

Your GP can suggest various things if it is a problem.

But honestly, try and remember you are asleep!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing you can do!!!! Your body wont do anything awful to itself. It can't and it wont!

I expect the thought of what could happen is making it worse.

Just remember that your body and mind will keep you safe in the night. The odd bruise isnt a problem.

Try not to worry about it. There really is nothing you can do and your brain will protect you from harming yourself. Thats part of its job! You might get the odd bruise but that is fine! I have the odd shouting indecent!

But talk to your GP if you are worried. They have things in place that can monitor you and put your mind at rest.

Take care

Mabel