PDA

View Full Version : What are you supposed to do about depression?

harasgenster
22-01-11, 17:30
Hi
I feel really depressed today, like that physical feeling of pain inside and a feeling of emptiness - like the very moment someone you love tells you they're splitting up with you - that pain but all the time. I'm struggling to do anything and I really need to get on with my work.

I know what to do when I'm anxious to try and help myself by using CBT methods.

I know CBT is supposed to help depression as well but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. Anxiety usually comes in the form of thoughts I can challenge but I don't feel like I'm thinking anything so I don't have anything to work on.

Is there anything I can do in the short term to try and alleviate the depression? If I just sit here I'm losing money. I need to be able to work.

Thank you

Greenman50
22-01-11, 18:19
Hi mate

Not much help , but i,ve been feeling the same for weeks and can,t face work .

harasgenster
22-01-11, 18:28
Sorry you're feeling bad. I just can't concentrate. I want to get things done but my mind won't engage. I'm also on tenterhooks for my boyfriend coming home. I just want to be on my own at the moment and I really don't want to see him. Feel pretty bad about that though!

Greenman50
22-01-11, 18:38
Don,t know what the answer is :shrug:, hope your mood lifts soon . Perhaps when your boyfriend arrives you will feel better .

x

JaneC
23-01-11, 00:43
Hara, CBT can absolutely be used for depression - in fact I've had more success with it on that front than with anxiety. I'm sure you can put what you know into practice with this by using it to work out what is making you feel depressed even if you don't think you know what it is. Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining how it works but have you done thought records in CBT? If you have, give it a try with this xx