PDA

View Full Version : Eating socially when anxious leading to PA

Freesolo
22-01-11, 19:08
Hi, im new here i was just wondering if anyone has ever had problems with panic attacks when eating in public?

The first time it ever happened to me was around 7 years ago when i had to have dinner with my girlfriends parents for the first time, i was very nervous anyway and when it came time to eat i just didn't feel hungry because my anxiety had my stomach in knots, her mother had gone to such trouble to make the dinner and i just couldnt eat it

I was feeling sick and couldnt relax, then i start thinking god im here for dinner and im too nevous to eat what are her parents going to think, i could see my girlfriend looking at me concerned because i must have looked terrified and my thoughts just snowballed into a panic attack, i held it together somehow and only ate a few chips afterward i felt mortified.

At the time i never new that it was a panic attack i didnt know what a panic attack was (how nice it would be to feel like that again ) i was just terrified that it would happed again and have avoided social dinners like the plague ever since even with my family. I do eat out with friends and family sometimes but it has to be with someone i trust so if i feel the panic coming on i dont feel trapped or any pressure to eat my meal

sorry if this is long winded, has anyone had similar experiences? or advice on how to overcome this?

Thanyou for reading:)

G.Samsa
30-03-11, 01:52
Hi FreeSolo, I'm afraid to say that I'm in the exact same situation! I first understood panic when eating with my girlfriend's parents. I could cope with it at first, but I was so lousy at communicating with them that I suppose I began to fear the situations even more. It ended up putting quite a lot of strain on our relationship and I am believe that that was a large part of why we broke up; I really couldn't get her to understand it.

It's a very hard thing to confront, because you cannot simply let the panic subside without embarrassing yourself. I ended up really resenting her parents, but I know it was only because I was really ashamed of myself. There was a point where I really couldn't even eat in front of people - I'd even avoid sitting at the table with my family. Actually thinking about it now makes me proud that I can do that again, although I'm really terrified about the idea of eating out anywhere. I used to be afraid even to go out just in case I was somehow shovelled into a restaurant - now at least I feel like I have the confidence to decline any kind of invitation.

Soon after Christmas I managed to pull together enough courage to go to a family event. I was in a real panic when I arrived but managed to calm down. When we all sat down to eat I felt okay until a cousin whom I had no idea existed came and sat next to me. I felt quite bad about resenting him being there because he was obviously a really nice guy who wanted to just wanted to get to know me. I had some real stomach pangs, but I managed to do okay somehow and eat most of what was on my plate. I think I just did it as quickly as I could, to distract me.

I suppose it's just a matter of gradually building up exposure. Anything too much will just result in a bad experience and only reinforce the fear.

The other day I ate a really big pasty in the middle of town. I don't know why I did it (I guess I was really hungry), but I think I managed it just by concentrating on the pasty, I don't think I looked up from it all the time I was eating it. It probably helped that it was a very tasty pasty.

Thank you for reassuring me that I'm not alone, I hope I've done the same!

sarahblonde32
31-03-11, 11:47
Hi,

I realised i had a problem with eating while in a restaurant with a friend, i had to run to the loo and gagged and thought i was gonna be sick, my friend was obviously freaked out and i couldnt work out what it was, when it happened a second time and other random times i have realised it is anxiety related. i have these horrible gagging sensations that i cant stop sometimes. the only that sort of helps is distraction, tictacs/sweets and just 'not thinking about it' which is not easy as you start worry that its gonna happen! its happened a few more times, eating and conversation socially are the worst : (
youre not alone...let me know if you find a cure! i am having counselling, acupuncture and even tried Bachs rescue remedy!!
sarah x