PDA

View Full Version : Considering where to go from here

Dragonsblonde
23-01-11, 16:17
Hi All

I am in a contemplative mood right now and feel maybe writing it all out will help point me in the right direction.

Last June I gave in and started taking Citalopram after a very good discussion with my GP. I settled on 20mg and have stayed on it since with two blips in the run up to Christmas both relating to an ongoing back pain and fear of being stuck inside with no way out. The second blip passed much faster and I feel I know how to cope with them better now.

I have also completed a course of CBT and have had some person centered counselling with work. I followed up with my GP over the Back pain and now have better pain management and have also been referred to and started work with the NHS physiotherapists. This looks promising for regaining my back stength and minimising the pain

I have also used the time I have been settled on the medication to give up alcohol, caffeine and now for this first time in 16 years I am a non smoker!!!!! a big deal for me. Currently also just started with weigh****chers to improve my diet and hopefully lose the excess weight I carry.

With all of that behind me and with things to work on I am considering talking to my GP about coming off the Citalopram now. I have a meds review in a week or two and can't decide if I want to ask now or give it another couple of months for the non smoking etc to bed fully in. A bit nervous of coming of the tablets, but......oh decisions

suzy-sue
23-01-11, 16:25
Well done with your progress :hugs:..Coming off meds is a big decision .But if you do it very slowly and cope well on each dose as you come down it will help enourmously .Personally I would give it a couple more months ,But its obviously up to you .Good luck with everything Sue x

Lizziesaurus
23-01-11, 17:50
Come off slowly if you do decide to come off, I came off citalopram suddenly after only about 7 weeks and I didn't cope well with it.
Just remember though, if you start coming off you can always go back onto them if you're not quite ready yet so try not let it be a make or break decision. See it as dipping your foot into a bath to see how hot the water is.
Hope everything works out for you and glad you're feeling so much better :)

Dragonsblonde
27-01-11, 13:15
Thanks for the advice. I saw my doctor this morning and had a chat over things. She is as pleased as I am with my progress and especially that I seem to be taking this opportunity to try to find a much better way in the future of managing my condition.

So we have decided together to stay on the tablets for a whole longer yet, with regular 2 monthly check ups to make sure everything is going ok.

happycamper
27-01-11, 13:39
Hey Chick,

Well done, glad to hear you're continuing to progress forwards.

I relate to you, started cit at the same time and hopefully making similar progress as yourself. Had 2 or 3 blips also, bad one straight after the New Year. But that has passed and I feel much more positive now, action plan in place for shifting that stone+ I've gained since starting the cit (did you put weight on since starting it too?), for the first time in months I've been to 2 excercise classes in a week - zumba to be precise, it's great fun!

I share your dilemma of when to start thinking about weaning of the cit too. I'd be interested to hear when you do decide to start. I'm sitting tight at least for another 2 or 3 months personally. Too scared incase I end up back at square one.

Good luck Jo.

Clare X

mr badger
27-01-11, 14:26
Sounds like you made a good, reasoned decision. Better wait a while, especially after making so many positive changes. Even positive changes take a bit of resourcing.

Dragonsblonde
30-01-11, 22:08
Hey

I think I did make the right call for me this time. With other things going so well my doctor would like us to maintain the steadying effect the citalopram is having. Small blips are to be expected all the way along and I think we do handle them better and better all the time.

I also think that the temptation to come off the tablets is a factor as we do start to feel better and I would be cautious of doing it too soon. The steadying needs to be around a little while I think first