PDA

View Full Version : Tough one tonight

ogarchamplin
18-03-04, 01:18
I have been on Zoloft now for about 4-5 weeks and i have noticed inprovement up to a point. I still get the chest aches and the rapid heartbeats mostly at night but i dont seem to let it get out of control as before. So i know the meds is working but tonight is just awful i am convinced that there is something wrong with my heart! i am having pains in my chest and back. My neck is sore and i swear my heart speeds up and pounds too hard. I cannot convince myself to let it go i even went out and bought a blood pressure home machine to show my wife that my bp is high and pulse up when having these attacks and of course it all but normal. I just am starting to think that maybe the meds are working and this is a PA but a real heart problem.

Harrisburg, Pa

sarah
18-03-04, 02:50
hiya George

Maybe to put your mind at rest.... when I first started having panic attacks my heart felt like it was leaping out of my chest. I could feel it really loudly and my chest hurt and it felt like I had 'heartache' (the only way I could describe it was like I had an elastic band attached to my shoulders tightly stretched across my chest - I was so tense and hurting). This went on for a good 6 months or so 24/7, frightening the life out of me and then one day I suddenly realised I couldnt hear/feel it anymore..I was getting better and so was relaxing more.

I still occasionally get a sore neck and back but I put it down to being tense and sure enough it doesnt last.

I hope this helps you some, but why dont you get it checked out by the hospital to put your mind at ease further? (and get yourself a nice relaxing massage)

love Sarah
xx

ogarchamplin
18-03-04, 03:09
in 96 i went to the ER so much with my "heart Attacks" that they finally put me in the menatl health wing for 60 days. I have been to a cardioloigist this year too. so that wont help other than hurting my checkbook

Harrisburg, Pa

stimpy
18-03-04, 13:21
Palpitations are caused by the bodies flight or fight system.
Something, whether it be concious or unconcious is telling you to prepare yourself to run like you have never run before.

It is perfectly "normal" in panic terms and is nothing to worry about.
Sertraline / Zoloft will help with the panic, but it will not help with the symptoms.

Have you spoken to your family doctor?
Maybe they could give you a beta blocker to calm things down a wee bit.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

diana
18-03-04, 14:34
Hiya Ogarchamplin,

Sorry to hear you are still struggling.

As Sarah and Liz mentioned in their posts, the symptoms you are having are quite "NORMAL" in terms of panic that is.

I too suffer from those same feelings whenever feeling panicky.

Just last night whilst in the movie theatre my chest started tightening up and shoulder behind my heart was hurting. I kept telling myself that it was just the old panic monster trying to interrupt my movie, and finally it subsided.

Like Sarah mentioned in her post, about the feeling she described, mine is pretty similar. I always told the ER docs and PCP`s what it felt like to me, as if I had a balloon and filled it all the way up with water the tightness in my chest seemed to be like that of the pressure on a balloon once filled with water. If that makes any sense?

It was the only analogy for me to associate the feeling with. LOL... :)

It sounds like at least the meds are helping you keep the panic under control, so that is progress.

I hope this helped a bit.

Hope you are feeling better today :-D.

Take care,

Diana xxxx :D

Meg
18-03-04, 15:19
Dear George ,

Brilliant progress - well done .

'i swear my heart speeds up and pounds too hard' You can start worrying instead if it doesn't beat, instead of the pounding. A heart cannot pound too hard especially if you don't have high blood pressure problems or any other associated issues !!
Incidentally if it reaches 160 beats per mins and stays there for over 30 mins ( without exercise) then do seek medical help but in the absence of either of those - you're doing just fine.

Sit back and enjoy the fact that your heart is working fantastically well for you.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

ogarchamplin
18-03-04, 18:44
Thanks i do havr high BP but i am on meds for that. The odd part is that i joined a gym to lose weight and i know some of my chest pain is just soreness from lifting but yet i cannot convince my mind that. This morning i woke up as if someone had starlted me and i went to the gym. As i was lifting i thought man i am going to have a heart attack right here. Well i did an hour of lifting and 20 minutes on the treadmill with my pulse not getting any higher then 129 and i am still alive.

Harrisburg, Pa

Meg
18-03-04, 19:11
An hour of lifting - excellent but no wonder you have a bit of muscular pain ..

Meg

diana
18-03-04, 20:58
George,

Good on you for doing the gym thing :).

Sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great work.

Just don`t over do it.

I hope you are feeling much better now.

Take care,

Diana xxxx

ogarchamplin