PDA

View Full Version : Escitalopram

blondesmurf
29-03-06, 10:03
Hi there everyone,

Hope everyone is having a panic free day : )

I have been on escitalopram for over two years now and was getting on really well with it, sure I had my dodgy days but generally my panic attacks had stopped and I was able to live a relatively normal life.

Anyway over the past two weeks they have started to come back, mainly if I am tired (I am not sleeping too well at the moment) or if I am hungover, which I know can be the case anyway.

I am off on my hols next week and am a bit anxious as to why the meds seem to have stopped having a full effect. I am going to see my GP on Monday for her advice, she is lovely and very understanding.

I just wondered if anyone had been on meds that were working really well then they seemed to wear off. Is it likely that she would up my dose?

Your feedback would be really useful xxxx

Lots of love
Blondesmurf xxx

vernon
29-03-06, 11:14
Hi Smurf, I think I am on the same Meds they are called Cipralex (the short name) I have been on 20mg now for about 10 months and you do get setbacks, everyone does, maybe you have had a bit more going on over the past few weeks or some extra worries you may not even be conscious of, But these are only temporary, I have had quite a few odd bad weeks but you haven’t gone back to square one just a blip I am sure you will feel better soon. Take care. Vernon

blondesmurf
29-03-06, 13:14
Thanks Vernon.

Yes it is cipralex I am taking and have generally been getting on well with it for the past two years. This year has been a bit stressful, I split up with my boyfriend, got promoted with a lot more responsibilty and also one of my best friends is moving back to Oz next week which is completely freaking me out.

I just seem to be so much more aware of my anxiety feelings again, plus seem to have developed a major fear of choking which is resulting in me struggling to eat as I fear I will choke on my food - how ridiculous it sounds when I write it down, lol!!

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 7 years and have had major setbacks along the way but only really when I have been off my meds and something stressful has happened. I don't seem to have really had any blips during taking my meds, which is why it kind of freaked me out if that makes sense ie oh god if I can have a panic attack on medication is there any hope for me (typical negative panic thinking I know!!)

I was originally taking seroxat for 2 years which completely changed my life and I was panic free for over a year, I then came off it for about a year moved out of my parents house and started having panic attacks again, I then went onto cipralex and have been great for 2 years and then well I explained the rest in my previous e-mail.

I guess the fact that I could have a series of panic attacks on my medication shook me up a bit xxx

vernon
30-03-06, 12:40
Hi Smurf, yes you have had a few ups and downs lately I would think it’s that that’s put your anxiety back up. I have suffered on and off to for about 40 years and having a little of a bad patch at the moment, but I keep telling myself its just temporary as it usually is and remember all we have learned is never wasted we are always learning different coping skills. I have had many good years and have a great wife and great 5 kids; there are lots of people out there lots worst than us? My anxiety flared up really high 2 and a 1/2 years ago when I quit drinking after 40 years of heavy daily drinking but it is all falling back into place now that I don’t depend on alcohol as a medication. I am on 20mg of Cipralex, what dose you taking? And yes lots of people even on meds have there bad spells. Take care hope u feel better soon and have a good holiday. Vernon

andrew england 2
02-04-06, 15:21
I have just begun escitalopram and am in my 6th day on 10mg and its nice to know it works for many ppl am hoping it works for me.

blondesmurf
03-04-06, 12:25
Thanks for your kind words Vernon. I am on 10mg, but went to see my GP today and she said why not try taking 15mg and see how you go with that so I am going to give that a try. I have managed to have a panic free weekend which I am very happy about and in terms of alcohol I know totally what you mean about depending on it to relax you, I often do that but I didn't this weekend, I had a few gentle drinks with friends, no hangover which massively helped the anxiety attacks. I am feeling a lot more positive today and hopw that your bad patch subsides really soon, it will of course and then you will look back and think, great I overcame it and here I am to tell the tale and nothing bad happened to me : )

Andrew good luck with escitalopram, it really did work for me and I am sure it will do with you too xxxxxx

chop
03-04-06, 13:26
Now I dont want to scare you lol.

It is most likely a set back or blip like we all have!

I am on the same med as you and I have them too. I would guess a blip or some added stress, nothing serious.

Having said that, there can be a "poop out" phase sometimes with these meds (ssri's) and some people find the drug stops working as well as it did after a period. This is NOT overly common but does happen.

See if it is a set back as I think it will be but if it continues for a long time, post again and there are heaps of options to stop the "poop out" effect.

As I said, I would say it is a setback. We all have them :)

Chop

Learning to under react