PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and emotionally spending

Kelly Anne
23-01-11, 23:42
Hey i was wondering if you could help me. over the last few months i have been suffering from anxiety attack alot and when i feel like this i end up emotionally spending.

This had got me into debt over the years and i have just got myself out of debt with the help of my support worker.

I was wondering if anyone else suffered with anxiety and found themselves emotionally spending.

Do anyone have any tips on how i can help myself.

Many thanks kelly - anne

pinkpiglet
24-01-11, 04:10
My mum has had chronic anxiety since i was a child, she had post natal depression and became addicted to benzo's. She is obsessed with spending and money in general. When she was married to my dad she bled him of all his wages and saving was never an option. When she left him 12 years ago, she left him in debt which took him years to pay back. She isnt a selfish person, she as always bought for other people aswell as herself. She spoils my 4 year old son as she did me when i was a child and will buy things like bedding....coats...etc and give them away to random people like family, friends, neighbours, friends of friends etc Everyone remarks on how generous this is but what they dont realise is the implications behind her generosity. When my mum started like this back in the 70's there was no help for this but today there is, you may benefit from seeking this help before the mindless spending takes hold.

Anxious_gal
24-01-11, 06:40
do you mean like a shopping addiction??

I think the simple things like only using cash would help, n being aware of how much you can afford to spend.

tonight I was anxious and ordered some books I wanted off the internet.
I was eventually going to order them. but i am aware i placed the order to night because I was anxious.
Also it gives me something to look forward to which I like.

it's the only example I have, so in a small way I do understand how it's possible to spend money to make you feel better, like emotionally eating etc......

Be extra careful with credit cards , online shopping is very tempting most people.
Piglets right some therapy like behavioral, CBT could help.
it would give you the tools and order ways of helping you with your emotions.

I am sorry that it's such a struggle for you , well done on getting your self out of debt x

Kelly Anne
27-01-11, 02:36
hello both. thank you for your replys. i am quite pleased with myself because i went to the bank yesturday and i managed to get them to change my debt card to a basic card so i can't use it in the shops i can only use it via the cash point machine. on the down side my friend lent me money cos i was feeling low but i am able to pay her back this weekend, so many be it is a good point because normally my friends have to wait forever. i went and bought myself a book which i have been looking at and putting back on the shelf for weeks and it was cheap. it was £7.99 reduced to £2.99. so i was pleased i never paid full price. I really want to crack this emotionally spending i know its going to be hard. thank you for support.