PDA

View Full Version : So very scared :(

JessG
24-01-11, 15:02
A little over a year ago, my fiance had an undiagnosed Kidney infection which lead to Septic Shock. He had to be in the hospital for a week, and he almost died.

For some reason, I have begun to think about it a lot and now have an intense fear of the same thing happening to me. Every time I have a chill, I panick. My temp was low last night at 1am (96.7'F) and i panicked about that.

I can't shake this overwhelming dread now :(

shoegal
24-01-11, 15:48
I think the way you feel is just your reaction to a very stressful event. When we are very worried and traumatised by something the body tries to cope but sometimes things get a little out of whack and we get upsetting thoughts and feelings that aren't helpful. Try to think of it as a 'blip' because you've been under a lot of stress, and try to focus on positive things rather than dwelling on scary things. I know it's easier said than done, but you will get over the shock of what happened in time. Try not to worry about these feelings and think of it as part of the healing process that will soon disappear. Don't let your thoughts frighten you, and be kind to yourself.

I hope you feel better soon, and I'm glad your fiance made a full recovery. :flowers:

lior
24-01-11, 16:31
What shoegal said is very valuable advice.

You know how unlikely it is that you'll get septic shock. This is an irrational fear. Your body temperature drops when you're asleep at night anyway. This worry is just your mind's way of dealing with last year's event. You'll get over it without getting septic shock :)

Good luck, and don't forget that your fiance is there to support you, so don't be afraid to talk to him about it.

JessG
24-01-11, 17:57
I worry when my body temp is too low, then i panick when it gets higher, even though i know that temp fluctuates throughout the day.

Gah, i hate my mind >.<

shoegal
24-01-11, 20:55
Remind yourself that these are just thoughts and they cannot hurt you. :)