PDA

View Full Version : Rather embarrassing query re hormone imbalance and sex.

pd
24-01-11, 18:44
I've been doing some research about a little 'problem' that I have, and I've read that hormone imbalances can cause anorgasmia in women. I am diagnosed with endometriosis, and I've been on some form of hormonal contraceptive pretty much constantly since the age of about 13 when my periods started and were unbearable. I'm wondering if almost eleven years of hormonal contraceptive, whilst I was going through puberty and beyond, could have triggered hormone imbalances in my body that might be responsible for my problem. My doctor mentioned about six months ago that a hormonal imbalance could be partially responsible for the various mental health issues I've had, and she'd like to take me off hormonal contraceptives for a few months to do a full hormone profile, but I simply can't risk getting pregnant (I can't trust condoms) and mainly, because the few times I've had a period not controlled by hormonal contraceptive I've lost pretty much a week through just not being able to get up, and I can't do that at this stage in my life. If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated, as this is causing problems between my partner and myself.

verity
29-01-11, 22:58
I dont know a lot about hormone imbalances but I would ask my dr to clarify what they mean.

I have been on and off the pill but I hate fake hormones so I have mainly used condoms as contraception when in relationships. I havnt had one break or split. but I understand your fear around them. Thing no contraception will ever be 100% effective so all carry risks even if its a tiny one.

The fact that your periods have been so bad seems to be the biggest issue with coming off the contraception. Maybe you could try changing your pill to see if you feel better or settled.

Im also wondering if your dr couldnt just do some hormone tests whilst your on the pill..my reasoning is if a hormone imbalane is causing issues whilst you are on the pill will this not show up in the test anyway? This is something you need to clarify with your dr.

Also the problems you are having with orgasim...I take it this is the issue you are having with your partner?

Are you able to reach orgasim at all? Through clitoral stimulation either by yourself or by your partner? Its very common for women not to orgasim through penetration so I wouldnt even worry about this.

If you cannot orgasim through any form of clitoral stimulation then I would ask to be refered to a gynae and a sex therapist and would also change my pill

You are going through and have gone through a lot with your cycle and the endo so if I was you id tell my partner to be a bit more empathetic and patient whilst you try to find suitable treatment!

Take care and I hope you can find an answer.

harasgenster
30-01-11, 13:36
Hi
I went through years of anorgasmia whether by myself or with other people. The only orgasms I had were very small peaks that, frankly, I couldn't even decide whether they were actually orgasms. I've had one orgasm in my life that felt like the way people describe it and, due to stress over sex, I've not been able to do it again.

My problem is literally just stress. I found out as much as I could about it, phoned NHS Direct because I didn't want to speak to someone face to face and the man there told me I had been raped as a child and had forgotten about it! (I got very upset then realised I just didn't think that's true).

I have a lot of issues around control and not wanting to lose it which is why I don't orgasm. It could be all mental health problems with you as well.

Does your doc know about the anorgasmia?