PDA

View Full Version : I'M CROSS - AND NEED TO RANT

Lottie32
18-03-04, 12:38
Last night I went to the gym straight from work as I always do on a Wednesday night.

It's always busy in the changing rooms, as Wednesday night is kids swimming lessons.

I put my work bag in a locker, and took my kit bag into the changing room. I got into my sweats, removed my glasses and went out into the changing room to put my contact lenses in.

I put my towel, hair bobble and lens case on the shelf under the mirror, turned my back and washed my hands.

When I turned round, some little ba***rd child had lifted them from the shelf!!!!!!!!!!

There were two mums almost next to it, and I asked them if they had seen anybody move them. They said no, but it was so busy with kids, it was hard to tell.

I looked up (although I could barely see - I'm blind without my glasses) and I thought I saw a girl with something small and white clenched in her fist. She looked up and saw me looking and ran off into the pool side.

I was going to follow her, then I remembered that now when you walk through the verucca bath to get to the pool, showers automatically hose you down.

I just had visions of a deranged wet woman in a tracksuit frantically peering down the pool trying to recognise a small dark haired child in a black swimming costume (which seemed to be 50% of the people in there!)

I reported it to reception, and the life guard had a look round the pool, but nobody handed them in, or found them.

One stupid woman said I shouldn't have left anything lying around! I'm afraid I let myself down - she got it and some more. [:0]

Leaving your purse or keys lying around is just down right stupid, but you should be able to put your lenses down and wash your hands and expect them to be there after. Also, as I not quite so politely pointed out, how the hell was I supposed to wash my hands whilst holding my contact lens case!!!!!!

To say I was cross is an understatement, and I tried very hard to work it off. Today I ache like mad, cos I did everything one level up from normal, I was that angry!!!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

When I finished in the gym I asked if anybody had handed them in. The receptionist said no, so I said that I was going to hang around the changing room, and check every cubicle, so if somebody reported a red out of breath sweaty woman loitering, then she wasn't to do anything about it - it was only me.

Two girls came into the changing room, and I was 95% convinced that one of them was the girl who had stolen them, but I wasn't sure.

Being quite an evil person, very very very angry, and also not a lover of children I'm afraid I was very tempted to take her clothes whilst she was in the shower, and throw them away in the bin outside. Then she would know what it was like to be without something important. And would also hopefully freeze to death on the way home.

In a way I was quite glad I didn't see her clearly, as I was so cross at the time, I would have pinned her up against the wall by her throat and snatched them back out of her hand. Then of course, it would be me that was in trouble for assault.

I now need to spend £80 buying some more, as they are not insured (I've checked). I wouldn't mind, but this last two months, I've worked really hard to sort out my finances, and have got loads of money saved for future expenses (car tax, mot, insurance, service, all due in the next month!). Now I'll have to use my visa card, as I can't afford all these expenses and new lenses too!!!!!

Even more infuriating is that my contact lenses are neither use nor ornament to anybody!

I know this has been a rant, but I'm still really wound up about it, and thought that if I posted a message I might feel better.

Bring back the village bobby. When I was young we were bought up to respect people and property. It wasn't unknown for the village bobby to (lightly) duff up some of the trouble makers - and they never complained to their parents, cos that would have resulted in another duff up from their dad!!!! Instead, they learnt not to step over the line. There is no punishment nowadays and kids just

Laurie28
18-03-04, 16:09
Hiya,

maybe her mother will find them and return them to the swimming pool?
Okay maybe not but there must be some parents out there that would march her back there and hand them in?

Oh well we can hope!!

Love
ucky

Lottie32
18-03-04, 16:33
Hi Lucky

If it was the kid I think it was, her parent wasn't with her.

To add insult to injury, I decided to go to the loo, and (minus my contact lenses) went into the first cubicle.

It didn't improve my mood to discover that not only was there excrement on the cubicle wall, but I had put my elbow in it.

Trying to look for the positive side to everything, I was just grateful if was pre-training and I had my long sleeve zip up fleece (v thick) on, and not my sleeveless training top (post training session)

This is the first (and hopefully) last time I regretted joining a. the gym and b. at the council run leisure centre!

What do these kids do at home??????

Actually think she must have dropped them in the pool - surely she isnt going to swim for a whole hour with the case in her hand - and cossies don't have pockets to put things in!

Not sure if they would be wearable after having spent hours in the municipal pool. And after the toilet cubicle experience, not sure I'd want them back after they'd been bobbing around with all those disgusting children.

Love x

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Matt
18-03-04, 21:19
Kids dont u just hate them... Eye balling lil scrotes.. they expect you to get out of the way for them and then do things like happened to u Charlie...

Kids like that make you thankfull for condoms haha

Hope u get it sorted out matey! and your pool sounds as skanky as ours.. lol

m :)

Buby
19-03-04, 01:02
im a kid, does that mean u hate me?????? :(

Lottie32
19-03-04, 08:50
Rachitt - if you steal contact lenses and wipe pooh on toilet walls then yes!!!!! But I'm sure you don't, I love my friends kids, and they all call me auntie. However, they DO know how to behave.

Matt - kids like these actually make me want to join a nunnery! Actually, thats not right, cos if I had kids (and I'm not going to) then they wouldn't DARE do anything like that. It's other parents I blame. I mean, who sends kids swimming with no supervision anyway. Not my idea of concerned parents! Maybe we should force the parents of these horrible brats to join a nunnery so they cant spawn any more (I'm still a bit cross as you may have gathered)!!!!!

LOL

Charlie

bluebird1
19-03-04, 17:48
hi charlie,
I really felt for you when I read about your ordeal,
I live in an area in which the teenagers dictate how the adults are able to live, the buses dont run late because they keep hijacking them, old people dont go out after dark, all the walls and fences are sytematically kicked down and we are spat at if we go to the local shops, one of my neighbours (a tough looking guy in his early 40's) recently went out to ask them to keep the noise down one night he was very polite and said that he had been a bit of a lad too)
when he got up the next day his phone wires had been cut and his winscreen and a load of others were smashed in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last year I was called as a witness to a crime outside my house but my doctor wrote out a note to say I would be unable to get there (thank goodness) I was terrified about any retaliation. (they only got community service anyway which they didnt complete)
last night I saw some kids bashing their bodies against my front fence and I saw red (bearing in mind that i have p/as in any form of confrontation) I grabbed some rubbish and put it out and stood there glaring at them, unfortunately when I went in they just carried on and this morning the fence was all broken but what can i do ?????????
sorry for waffling but this is a pet hate of mine lol.:(:(
and as for punishment i think these kids should be locked in a room with their parents for a year , because from my experience most of the parents round here can't stand having there kids around them !!!!!!!!!!!
i would like to say tho that the parents of all the teenagers on this site must be very proud of them because they are all very kind and respectful bless em lol

Lyn:)

kate
19-03-04, 17:59
Lyn,

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

A lot of parents churn out tons of kids then dont want them under their feet. As long as they are not under their feet they don't seem to care where they are or what they are doing.

These yobs feed off the knowledge that most people are too scared to report their activities due to the fear of retaliation.

And so the anti social acts continue.

I assume that the police are well aware of the problems in your area. What are they doing about it?

It must be so hard for you to try to overcome your anxiety when this is the type of environment that you are being forced to live in.

My son is 15 and my daughter is 12. They would never be allowed to wander the streets or hang round on street corners.

If they want to see their mates, the mates come here or they go to their mates houses.

They play computer, play music or, in the case of my son, go to the park and play football.

This type of anti social behaviour is totally preventable by parents taking sole responsibility for their offsprings behaviour.

Lets hope things improve for you soon, Lyn.

Take care

Kate x

bluebird1
19-03-04, 23:25
hi,
just like to say that my hubby got in from work at 10 tonight and every single car in my part of the street about 100 yards has had its windscreen smashed in lucky he was out!!!!!
everything you said kate was spot on and my children arent allowed out either.
lyn x

kate
20-03-04, 10:13
Hiya Lyn,

That is such an awful way to have to live.

Were the police called and if so what action are they taking?

Kate x

bluebird1
20-03-04, 14:00
hi kate, yes there was a police van out there but theres not a lot they can do, unless they catch anyone ( and most of them walk round here with scarfs round their faces, caps on and hoodies over the top so you cant recognise them), people will just have to claim on their car insurance again, i try to keep out of it nowadays i dont want to be summoned to a court case again and i dont want to be subjected to any retaliation particulary as i cant get out of the house much i would be a sitting target. i have to say there are a lot of decent adults and children living around here but they tend to keep themselves to themselves a lot and we did have a group of vigilantes but the police knocked that on the head.
what makes me angry is their parents say its because they are bored but the council and local churches have spent a fortune on play parks, basketball courts etc and theyve been destroyed within days and hey we found plenty to do when we were kids (and it didnt involve alchopops drugs or sex like it does round here)it was called using your imagination.
ho hum getting off the soap box now lol
lyn x

Matt
20-03-04, 16:45
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

Matt - kids like these actually make me want to join a nunnery! Actually, thats not right, cos if I had kids (and I'm not going to)

Oooh nuns outfits are cool make sure to send some piccies if u do!! hehe Why do I seem to be surrounded by baby crazy women? There must be more out there like u who dont want um! lol

nomorepanic
20-03-04, 19:32
Charlie - loved the post as always. I guess it wasn't so good for you - have you got the stuff back yet. Kids eh!!!

Lyn - sorry to hear about all your problems - what is the world coming to eh? Mad Mad!!

Matt - I don't want kids. Had my mates 2 last Saturday for 4 hours (not alone I hasten to add - their mum was here too). That was more than enough - nice to say goodbye to them!

Nicola

Lottie32
20-03-04, 19:51
Matt - I don't want kids - I'm with Nic on that. My friends (very behaved ones) are fun for a few hours. Then I take them back thank you very much

Nic - No. I went to the gym this morning and no sight nor sound I'm afraid. Still an incy bit cross about it too, and can't get retribution next week, as got to go to gym on Tuesday and brats swimming is on Wednesday.

Lyn - that is terrible. I'm extremely lucky that I live in a nice area (apart from when Mart shot Tommy last year, but to be fair, Tommy is a windscreen breaking thug and he deserved it). The leisure centre is in a not so nice town down the road.

Kate - sometimes I could become a Nazi, and make anybody wishing to have kids pass an intelligence and financial test. Only those with the brains and dosh to make sure a kid turned out ok would be allowed to have them. And they would have to take full responsibility for their kids till they were 18.

Thats the problem - nobody is willing to take responsibility for their actions any more. It's always somebody elses fault.

I feel terribly sorry for the bloke who owed all that money on his credit cards and killed himself, and it's terrible for the widow and her kids, but I'm not quite so sympathetic when she had a go at the card companies. At the end of the day, nobody FORCED him to have a card. And surely, she must have noticed they were living over their means? Or am I just a cynical bi**h.

Bring back the bobby on the beat - and a bit of blind eye turning. I'm sorry, but the local thugs were always bought to order with a bit of roughing up. I don't agree with violence, but sometimes it's the only thing they understand.

Charlie

kate
20-03-04, 20:48
Lyn,

That makes my blood boil as well when the excuse is made that the kids are anti social morons cos they are bored.

What a load of crap.

We live in an area where there is basically nil for the kids to do.

Well, I call that tough. Why do the kids of today have to have everything, including recreation, handed to them on a plate.

As you say, we found plenty to do when we were young which did not involve smashing up or stealing other peoples property.

I remember once when I was about 11ish climbing the lampost outside our house.

It was the old type which had the very appealing looking bar near the top, just right for sitting on!!

The neighbour came out and gave us a right ear bashing.

We never did it again!!

Bring back the old values when respect was paramount. Most people do not give two hoots about anyone else these days.

Charlie, if my kids ever caused anyone any problems at all they would be grounded for ever.

I would be so ashamed and mortified if my kids ever brought trouble to my door.

But, then again, myself and my husband have high standards. Others seem to have no standards whatsoever.

These parents should be totally ashamed of themselves in allowing their offspring to behave in such a manner.

Don't suppose they care though.

Kate x

sarah
20-03-04, 23:50
Bring back national service for the little bleeders!!!!(and their parents by the looks of it)

Laurie28
23-03-04, 12:23
Okay Okay let's all calm down here!!!!!

Kids aren't so bad!! You get some bad uns like you get bad adults but all in all they are not too bad and can be sooo loving and really cheer you up!!!

Theres nothing nicer than your kid telling you they love you and giving you a cuddle!!!

Okay my oldest is driving me iiiiinnnnsane at the moment but I wouldn't be without any of mine!!!!!

Lucky

sarah
23-03-04, 13:25
Hiya Lucky

You are right there. I guess you cant generalise and lump people into categories just because of the 'bad egg' minority.
Like you say, you get good and bad in all ages. (even nice granny types and miserable grumbling ones...lol)
Most of my mates kids and my niece and nephew are lovely kids and they do make me laugh the things they come out with.

love Sarah
xx

Lottie32
23-03-04, 14:30
Rubbish

Lucky - you are just sooooo naive. Kids only do that when they want something!!!!

Sarah - all children belonging to other family members are ok. COS YOU CAN GIVE THEM BACK

I am not agreeing with either of you, having just stood in the queue at the post office in my lunch hour, whilst a small child in a push chair (aged about 3 - see lazy layabout already) kept kicking me. Even though he was repeatedly told not to by his 8 year old mother.

I couldn't move any further forward cos there was a dazed and confused elderly person in front who smelt of cabbage and wee.

If the brat had been older I would have twa**ed him one, but as he was a "cute" and "innocent" and "defenceless" child, I would not have been "justified" in this case.

I'm rapidly coming round to the conclusion that Britain would be a better place if we set up a group of street patrollers, like the Guardian Angels on the subway, but different. This new group would go round, and basically give any child or teenager who misbehaved, vandalised other peoples property, stole, mugged old ladies etc. etc. a taste of their own medicine.

And before anybody gets all upset, I'm a Christian - an eye for an eye (or should that be a contact lens for a contact lens!)

Love

Charlie

sarah
23-03-04, 15:38
Charlie

Thats why I like them...cos I CAN give them back or leave when im fed up of it...lol

love Sarah
xx

kate
23-03-04, 16:22
Lucky,

Yes, I agree, wouldn't be without mine either.

BUT, wait til they turn into teenagers!!!!!

No hugs and kisses then, they don't even want to be seen with you.

Only yesterday my son (15) left his lunch at home.

Being a lovely caring mom I took it up to the school with a piece of paper stuck on with his name and form on it.

As soon as he came through the door after school, he started telling me how dead embarassing it is when your lunch box, with yellow lid, is brought into the classroom and how even more embarassing it is when your name and form is stuck on it!

He said I could just have brought him some money into school instead for him to buy a dinner.

I pointed out that that was a bit pointless as his sandwiches were already made!!

Anyway, the moral of the story is LET THEM STARVE!!!

So, Lucky, make the most of them while they are still little!!

Kate x

Matt
23-03-04, 16:45
Now wheres the doctors phone number... Time for the snip[:o]:D hahah

nomorepanic
23-03-04, 21:49
quote:Originally posted by Lottie32

I couldn't move any further forward cos there was a dazed and confused elderly person in front who smelt of cabbage and wee.

ROFL [:p]:D
Are we starting a new campaign against smelly OAP's now.

You do cheer me up Charlie ;)

Nicola

Laurie28
24-03-04, 10:03
Charlie,

Bah bah bah!!!!!

You are having bad experiences with kids!!! Not all kids are like that or u wouldn't be stating these particular instances!!! Anyway don't u stick your tongue out to children in supermarkets? what do you expect!!!!

Kate - what were you thinking off - lol!!!! do u know what u have done to his street cred now!!!!!

Anyway my kids are driving me dappy at moment (both of them) so someone else pls step in and defend our future doctors, lawyers and indeed dentists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky

Lottie32
24-03-04, 10:36
Nic - NO. OLD PEOPLE CAN'T HELP IT. We will be old people one day (if the worry doesn't see us off first). It is a recognised part of the ageing process that you reach a certain age and start smelling of wee and cabbage. There is nothing you can do about it. It is not related to diet and personal hygiene, but is infact generated by the DNA thread Beta-gamma-shark, recently discovered which each person has, male or female.

Lucky - you are SOOOO wrong. All kids are bast***s. They are not sweet.

As a "dotty" (sorry doting) mother, can you explain why being kicked on the shin by a kid is "cute" and "he didn't mean it" he was just having a "laugh".

If I went a round kicking people on the shins would I be labelled as "cute". I'm sure that I could say "I didn't mean it" a million times - I'd still be banged up - either awaiting trial for assault or in the local mental asylum!

Nothing is every anybodys fault, and kids get away with too much by virtue of simply being kids. Well I'm a big kid at heart, and I'm going to start doing exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it, and just blame my behaviour on being "cute", or "just messing".

Kate - your kids is an ingrate. For the next week, make him make his own pack up. Or let him starve. Or, make him realise how not really embarrasing your actions were, but waiting till lunch next time, and go running into the canteen shouting "Timmy, Timmy, don't worry mumsie is here, with your dairylea soldiers. And I've remember your favourite Sally Strawberry Munch Bunch yoghurt"

(Obviously, it will be more embarassing if you substitute Timmy for his own name)

When he gets home, simply point out that you were teaching him that embarassment comes in degress, and he has now experienced several depths!!!!!

Lucky

I only stick my tongue out when suffering from a hangover. And I only do it to horrible (all) kids who deserve it.

Charlie

Matt
24-03-04, 10:42
:D very good and very true!:D

Laurie28
24-03-04, 15:54
Charlie - You have completely lost the plot this time I have to tell you!!!!!!!. the child was merely stretching his dainty little legs and exploring the world outside his buggy and there was you STANDING IN HIS WAY!!!!!!! how insensitive of you! I mean how could you!
Not all kids are like that Charlie I think it is neither cute or sweet to kick anyone!!!!!! Even if it is the grumpy thirty something scary women who is sticking her tongue out to me!!!

Matt - Do Not agree with her you are only encouraging her

Lucky

kate
24-03-04, 19:46
Charlie,

Nice idea LOL

My son does not understand how embarassing I could be to him if I put my mind to it!!

Will definately bear in mind running into canteen with lunch box.

Could be a good blackmailing tool haha

Kate x

nomorepanic
24-03-04, 22:07
Charlie

I can't stop laughing at your post - I do hope you continue on your "hate children" campaign cos I love it!

Nicola

Lottie32
25-03-04, 10:35
Nic

I don't hate all children. Every so often I have a moment of mild amusement.

On Tuesday evening I went round to sit with my best friend, who has two children under 18 months (stupid cow - I've lectured her before about contraception, but just cos she's married, she doesn't think she has to worry about that sort of thing anymore. This is quite a common mistake, and I would just like to remind anybody in a long term relationship, or who is married that you still need to use precautions, or else you too could end up afflicted. And it lasts for years - I mean, I'm still afflicting my mum, and I'm 33 ha ha ha)

Anyway her new baby cries all the time. For some reason (and she has been checked out at hospital/doctors etc etc) the new baby only poohs once a week (but when she goes - boy does she go) and is consequently constipated for 6 days. This is uncomfortable and she cries a lot poor thing.

Before any of you afflicted people start e-mailing top tips to make the baby sh*t - don't bother - I'm not interested and Rach has tried everything in the book - and more - from aromatherapy to reflexology to classical music to baths to stomach massage, three million different types of milk (as well as her own) a trillion different types of bottles, dummies, no dummies etc etc etc.

Anyway, her husband Mark goes to computers on a Tuesday, and two kids under 18 months, particuarly when one is screaming all the time is just too much! So being a super lovely kind person (but not that nice or else I wouldn't still be single ha ha!) I went round at tea time and did some chores, amused the older child, bathed the baby (it's great - there is never any danger of dirty nappies), and generally cleaned and tidied the house.

I had come straight from the gym, and after I had eaten, and got some semblance of order restored I decided to have a shower. I laid out my clean clothes and jumped in the shower. (Rach has a super dooper mega power shower that a family of four can fit into). After ten minutes of baby scream free silence, I got out the shower.... to discover that although my combats and t shirt were there, I had no underwear. I couldn't wear my glasses cos they were steamed up and I HAVENT GOT CONTACT LENSES ANYMORE, so I was very confused. Wrapping myself in one of Rachies big towels (which is on her - but then she is only 5ft) I went to investigate (not a pretty sight)

Dripping into the lounge I discovered Scarlett (the 18 month old) with my pants on her head, a sock on each foot, and my bra round her neck.

Apparently (Rach lives in a converted chapel, and the house is all on one level), Scarlett loves clothes, and often sneaks into the bathroom, and plays with the clothes in there. I'm so glad I'd put my dirty gym kit straight in my bag - I think my socks would have killed her. So whilst I was in the shower and blind COS I'VE GOT NO CONTACT LENSES - she had snuck in and stolen my undies.

And that is my (very long winded) mildly amusing child story.

LUCKY - thank you so much for explaining that. I feel so much better knowing that the little lamb was ONLY STRETCHING HIS LEGS, and not trying to kick me at all!!!

How stupid am I????

MATT - (and Nic) Ignore Lucky, encourage me if you want to, but it won't make the scrap of difference anyway - cos I HATE KIDS

KATE - I'd work out several maximum embarassment scenarios and use them to bribe your child at every opportunity. Remember though, you must be willing to follow them through so don't do anything that will embarass you, just in case he calls your bluff.

Love

Charlie

Matt
25-03-04, 11:29
:D Again another post of yours that made me smile!:D You should write a book!! haha

Laurie28
25-03-04, 11:48
Matt,

I totally agree with you!! Charlie should an author or stand up comedian

They do say there is a fine line between nutter and genius though........

Lucky
(PS I give up trying to protect the innocent from mad auntie charlie as I really can't win against her!!! So Charlie I back down kids are all brats!!!)

Matt
25-03-04, 12:08
And we are all on the former side of that line!:D

Lottie32
25-03-04, 12:08
I knew I'd win in the end - but it's not just the brats.

It's the afflicted, who seem to think us unafflicted actually appreciate and want the company of their brats.

Take pubs for example .... When I was little you thought yourself lucky if you got to sit in the car with a packet of crisps and a coke (with a straw). Nowadays there are brats in most pubs. Why?

They have loads of places to socialise that I'M not allowed (try getting in the ball pit at your local Charlie Chalks Childrens theme pub and you'll know what I mean), so why should I want them inflicting on me when I pop out for a pint?

I DON'T. And I don't understand why the afflicted don't realise that.

To me it's quite simple. If I'm driving along, and fancy a pint, and a pie, then I look out for a pub. If I see that the pub has a large plastic tree in the garden which is wearing a yellow hat and sunglasses, and the board outside said establishment has some sort of cartoon bear, usually wearing bright primary coloured pyjamas, then I know that this is a themed kids pub.

It is unlikely to have a pool table, darts board, proper beer, cutlery that isn't plastic, duke box and a smoking area. So I DRIVE ON AND DON'T STOP. It is a pub for the afflicted and their offspring, and they should stick to them.

In return, I don't expect the afflicted to bring their brats to my local, where I want to play pool, watch the rugby/football/boxing, play songs other than the Postman Pat theme tune, and ones which may include offensive language, and sit down at a table without encountering a partially chewed Haribo, or putting my elbow in a Munch Bunch yoghurt pot.

I also want to admonish the referee of whatever game I'm watching in time honoured tradition, or call my opponent at pool a spawny barstool (or words to that effect) when he plays a winning fluke shot at pool.

Yet try and do this, and the afflicted will glare at you, and reprimand you with the words, "Do you mind watching your language, there are children present"

To which the correct response would be (if I was rude enough or brave enough) "Yes, and they are in the bloody pub, so they'd better get used to it, or alternatively why don't you fcuk off down to the ***** (insert name of local plastic tree kids pub).

Some afflicted people even have the cheek to moan about our behaviour, even though the brats are in the pub after 9pm, and blatantly should be HOME AND IN BED!

There is nothing worse than getting to your local, and finding out that you can't get on the pool table for 8 year olds, who are aimlessly smashing the balls around, marking the cloth and getting chalk all over the cushions.

We were once playing the pub (£10 to the winner) and a brat wanted to play. It sqwawked for hours about getting on the table, and we told it that it could have a go after us. It got bored of waiting and walked up to the table and just picked up a handfull of balls and put them down the pockets!!!!!! The afflicted person with it was most mortified when it founds it's brat head first down the corner pocket.

Apparently, it was our fault, cos we had been playing for too long, and the brat was bored.

Shame, as it was for money we had to have a re-rack then! Ha ha ha ha ha

Maybe we should start a campaign to ban kids from pubs - I mean, can you imagine the uproar if we took a load of bottles of White Lightning and Thunderbird, a table and some chairs, a CD player and a pack of cards and got wasted in the school playground?

There would be uproar, but it would maybe bring it home to the afflicted that there is an appropriate place for everything. Grown ups and alcohol belong in the pub. Brats belong in school or in bed.

p.s. Lucky - How do you know my friends kids call me Mad Auntie Charlie? Have I told you this already???

XXX

Charlie

Laurie28
25-03-04, 14:05
Matt - I always thought of myself as the later which perhaps turned me into the former!!!!

Charlie - I am not biting !!!!!! I just had a hunch about mad auntie Charlie - don't ask me why it was just a wee feeling - after all it certainly couldn't have been anything you have written - lol

Love
Lucky (afflicted, smitten mother of 2 little angel boys!!!!!)

nomorepanic
25-03-04, 20:21
Charlie - lol. What a sight that I can just see now.

I can't wait to meet you - you will entertain us for hours.

Even thought about stand-up comedy?

Nicola

Lottie32
25-03-04, 20:31
Actually I'm the most quiet and boring person you could possibly wish to meet.

I will probably end up sitting in a corner (when I'm not locked in the bathroom of course) being shy. I hate being the centre of attention (unless amongst friends) so definitely writing and not stand up!!!!

Can I just point out right here and now that as I was bought up nicely and by respectable parents, should any forum members turn up at Megs in May (just waiting for Bryan to confirm a date), I shall of course be totally and utterly pleasant to all brats who may have to attend with their parents.

However, if ANYTHING of mine goes missing (including my underwear), or I get KICKED (or injured in any other way) I WILL retaliate. So be warned. Well behaved is fine - don't worry about training them first - one of my "looks" is usually enough to sort most children out. (And if not a surreptitious pinch or slap on the legs usually works)

I have actually got an adoring following of children - Laura, Ben, Tash and Scarlett - they just know EXACTLY what they can and can't do/say/get away with.

It's my belief that they love me as much as they do - cos they always know exactly where they stand with me!!!! In the corner, facing the wall with one hand on their heads and one finger on their lips !!!! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Love Evil Auntie Charlie

Charlie

marty
26-04-04, 17:54
sorry too hear this lottie i have just had my mountain bike stolen from a train station near me was locked up and everything but some people just dont understand if you didnt pay for it,it isnt yours.

nomorepanic
26-04-04, 20:36
Marty

Sorry to hear about the bike. Was it insured atall?

Nicola

marty
28-04-04, 18:42
no unfortunately not nicola ive just bought a second hand one for twenty quid no point buying a new one just in case,keeps me fit and happy theres a lot of thieves out there especially around london where i live.

benoo5
29-04-04, 00:31
i can see a whole range of books here!

THE PANICKERS GUIDE.

TO PUBS...TO LOOS...TO LOVE...TO FARTING...TO KIDS...TO SHOPPING...TO COOKING...TO DENTISTS...TO SCAFFOLDING...HORSES FOR COURSES...PEEING IN THE DARK.....THE LIST GOES ON CHARLIE,AND YOUR A LITERARY GENIUS...SO COME ON GIRL,IME WAITING FOR THE FIRST FOUR CHAPTERS IN MY INBOX.

KEEP IT UP MATEY,YOUR SOOO GOOD FOR THIS SITE.

BRYAN XXX.

benoo5
29-04-04, 00:35
sorry nic,just realised it was in bold print :)

speak to you soon....bryan.

Lencoboy
14-03-20, 20:54
hi charlie,
I really felt for you when I read about your ordeal,
I live in an area in which the teenagers dictate how the adults are able to live, the buses dont run late because they keep hijacking them, old people dont go out after dark, all the walls and fences are sytematically kicked down and we are spat at if we go to the local shops, one of my neighbours (a tough looking guy in his early 40's) recently went out to ask them to keep the noise down one night he was very polite and said that he had been a bit of a lad too)
when he got up the next day his phone wires had been cut and his winscreen and a load of others were smashed in!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last year I was called as a witness to a crime outside my house but my doctor wrote out a note to say I would be unable to get there (thank goodness) I was terrified about any retaliation. (they only got community service anyway which they didnt complete)
last night I saw some kids bashing their bodies against my front fence and I saw red (bearing in mind that i have p/as in any form of confrontation) I grabbed some rubbish and put it out and stood there glaring at them, unfortunately when I went in they just carried on and this morning the fence was all broken but what can i do ?????????
sorry for waffling but this is a pet hate of mine lol.:(:(
and as for punishment i think these kids should be locked in a room with their parents for a year , because from my experience most of the parents round here can't stand having there kids around them !!!!!!!!!!!
i would like to say tho that the parents of all the teenagers on this site must be very proud of them because they are all very kind and respectful bless em lol

Lyn:)

I know this thread was started years ago (2004) but just out of interest I wonder if that particular area is still as bad as that now, or if it has improved significantly since then?

Apart from a lot of the knife crime stuff during the past couple of years, we don't seem to hear about major incidents concerning ASB and so-called 'chav' culture so much these days.

Perhaps that could (ironically) be one of the blessings of social media.

Lencoboy
01-06-21, 08:44
Out of interest, is anyone on here still having the same problems in their area now in 2021 that Bluebird1 had with feral teenagers in his/her area back in 2004?

It seems that now many people forget how bad such things like vandalism, intimidation and ASB in general really were back then, and look back fondly at that era with rose-tinted specs as being far less troubled times.

Noivous
03-06-21, 09:32
This is a good case. To me the accuser (based on her initial post) never really had proof that the theft was perpetrated by said child. Yet she was willing to take the childs clothes and chuck them. Makes me wonder who the real child is.

BlueIris
03-06-21, 09:41
I'm with you, Noivous. I get that it must have been annoying, but the sheer hatred in the original post scares me far more than kids, misbehaving or otherwise.

Noivous
03-06-21, 09:47
I'm with you, Noivous. I get that it must have been annoying, but the sheer hatred in the original post scares me far more than kids, misbehaving or otherwise.

Yeah! I was like who hates children that much?!

I think they're great! Funny, honest, trusting, loving, cute...and little!🤗

BlueIris
03-06-21, 09:57
Technically I'm not fond of kids, but the ones I know and the students I work with are pretty awesome.

The kids on our street are what some might call feral... last night my husband called me over to see what they were doing, and it turned out that they'd lined up a bunch of wheelie bins and were using them as a badminton net. It was kind of brilliant.

Lencoboy
03-06-21, 19:44
Technically I'm not fond of kids, but the ones I know and the students I work with are pretty awesome.

The kids on our street are what some might call feral... last night my husband called me over to see what they were doing, and it turned out that they'd lined up a bunch of wheelie bins and were using them as a badminton net. It was kind of brilliant.

Well that's a silver lining, BI.

Like I have already said upthread (apart from the knife crime stuff), there doesn't appear to be the same degree of hysteria and moral panics concerning out of control youngsters now like there was when this thread was first started back in 2004.

We barely seem to hear of 'Broken Britain' either these days.

WiredIncorrectly
14-06-21, 18:56
Hiya,

maybe her mother will find them and return them to the swimming pool?
Okay maybe not but there must be some parents out there that would march her back there and hand them in?

Oh well we can hope!!

Love
ucky

My partner is this person. She's found phones, wallets, money, handbags ... you name it she seems to come across it. She always hands it in.

WiredIncorrectly
14-06-21, 18:57
Well that's a silver lining, BI.

Like I have already said upthread (apart from the knife crime stuff), there doesn't appear to be the same degree of hysteria and moral panics concerning out of control youngsters now like there was when this thread was first started back in 2004.

We barely seem to hear of 'Broken Britain' either these days.

This was posted in 2004. Oh my. Lenco, how on earth did you find this?

Lencoboy
14-06-21, 20:05
This was posted in 2004. Oh my. Lenco, how on earth did you find this?

I came across this thread it by casually browsing through this Misc section soon after I joined up as a member of this forum at the start of March 2020, and was really taken aback by how the original posts in this thread back in 2004 really reflected the zeitgeist of the time when this country was in the grip of a major moral panic over feral youths/'chav' culture/ASB, etc, and all the constant talk of 'Broken Britain'.

Whilst said problems still do exist throughout society, strangely the widespread hysteria over them that we used to witness back in the 2000s generally seems to be much less prevalent now in the early 2020s than it was back then.

I wonder what's behind this mystery decline in so-called 'ephebiphobia' over the past decade or so?

Smartphones? Social media? More (and cheaper) devices to keep teenagers occupied and entertained at home, so they don't feel as compelled to roam the streets in packs wreaking havoc to the same extent as in the past?

BlueIris
14-06-21, 20:33
Lenco, I know it can be tough, but maybe you'd feel better if rather than ruminating on the past, you focused on making a better future for yourself and the people in your community?

Fishmanpa
14-06-21, 21:12
Lenco, I know it can be tough, but maybe you'd feel better if rather than ruminating on the past, you focused on making a better future for yourself and the people in your community?

:yesyes: You can't change the past but you certainly can change your future.

FMP

BlueIris
14-06-21, 21:19
Thanks FMP, it's how I managed to move beyond the abuse I suffered in the past. I know it's tough for Lenco, but I do believe it's a goal we should all work towards. Our past is only a part of who we are.

Pamplemousse
14-06-21, 21:47
Thanks FMP, it's how I managed to move beyond the abuse I suffered in the past. I know it's tough for Lenco, but I do believe it's a goal we should all work towards. Our past is only a part of who we are.

The past is the only place I feel safe, BI: the present and especially the future scare the proverbial out of me.

BlueIris
14-06-21, 21:51
I'm so sorry, PM.

For me, the trick was (and still is) to focus on all the tiny changes I can make, one at a time, even if on some days all that means is taking a shower or walking to the corner shop.

Pamplemousse
14-06-21, 22:11
I'm so sorry, PM.

For me, the trick was (and still is) to focus on all the tiny changes I can make, one at a time, even if on some days all that means is taking a shower or walking to the corner shop.

At the moment, I can barely do even that. Tomorrow I have visitors, albeit briefly and that has caused me an immense amount of stress - I'll be counting the seconds until they leave. I struggle at the moment to even visit the shops, thinking "there's no point, I'm dying anyway" or similar.

BlueIris
14-06-21, 22:26
Would you like to be happy, if you could be?

WiredIncorrectly
14-06-21, 22:31
:yesyes: You can't change the past but you certainly can change your future.

FMP

Bah Humbug! You can't change the future. Neither the past, or future, exists. Only the present.

:shades:

fishman65
14-06-21, 22:40
The past is the only place I feel safe, BI: the present and especially the future scare the proverbial out of me.PM, that's exactly how I feel mate. The past is safe because its set in stone, immovable. Even the really dark stuff. But being closer to 60 now than I am to 50, the future is looking more frightening with every passing day.

I'm currently reading a book called 'Fear' by Sir Ranulph Fiennes. He covers all aspects of fear and all kinds of it, a truly excellent read.

Pamplemousse
14-06-21, 22:43
Would you like to be happy, if you could be?

I have been happy in the past, and it was wonderful. But I would always be thinking "this cannot last".

Right now I feel like a small child alone in a dark country lane, abandoned by its parents and whose last memory of them will be the tail lights of their going away at speed, with snarling dogs all around.

WiredIncorrectly
At the moment, I can barely do even that. Tomorrow I have visitors, albeit briefly and that has caused me an immense amount of stress - I'll be counting the seconds until they leave. I struggle at the moment to even visit the shops, thinking "there's no point, I'm dying anyway" or similar.

We're all dying. Life is a difficult experience.

You've got to do what makes you happy, and to heck with the rest of the world. I took up graffiti art, and I go out at night to a popular graffiti wall at the park and practice. It's lovely, and quite. I'm trying to get the hang of shading with paint and learning some new techniques for clean lines. I hate tagging, and crap graffiti that is an eyesore. I'm trying to do illustration with spray paint. I've developed a bit of an addiction with buying spray caps.

But the point is, this is something that has made me happy. Many people would say it's silly, or trash, or w/e. But it's not about other people. It's about me, and what makes me happy.

The only person that can make you happy, is you.

Is there anything you like doing that makes you happy? Doesn't matter what it is. Tell me ...

Fishmanpa
Bah Humbug! You can't change the future. Neither the past, or future, exists. Only the present.

:shades:

Ahhhh... but by changing the present, you can influence and change the future :shades:

'Positive' thoughts

Pamplemousse
14-06-21, 23:03
Is there anything you like doing that makes you happy? Doesn't matter what it is. Tell me ...
D'you know... I genuinely can't think of anything I enjoy any more?

BlueIris
15-06-21, 04:37
@PM, when I feel hopeless I try to follow those feelings upstream, as it were, then work out which of my needs aren't being met and what I can do to fix that. A therapist taught me the technique, and it can be really helpful.

@Wired - may I see pics of your work, please?

pulisa
15-06-21, 08:09

I hope the visit is brief and that the anticipation of it is worse than the reality. Quality not quantity.

pulisa
15-06-21, 08:35
D'you know... I genuinely can't think of anything I enjoy any more?

Beers of the world? Using your extensive technical know how to repair and restore precious items to their former glory? Adding to your collection of appliances?

Pamplemousse
15-06-21, 09:12
Beers of the world? Using your extensive technical know how to repair and restore precious items to their former glory? Adding to your collection of appliances?

Nope... none of that any more.

This morning I woke early and seemed to have raised patches of skin where I've been scratching myself overnight.

"Does some of that look yellow?"

"Poo's still a bit pale" (but have had this before)

"Wee looks a bit dark" (didn't have much to drink yesterday, most likely under a litre).

"Oh God, have I got pancreatic cancer?"

This is how it goes, EVERY SINGLE DAY now. And each day I feel the darkness closing in a little bit more.

Lencoboy
15-06-21, 09:14
We're all dying. Life is a difficult experience.

You've got to do what makes you happy, and to heck with the rest of the world. I took up graffiti art, and I go out at night to a popular graffiti wall at the park and practice. It's lovely, and quite. I'm trying to get the hang of shading with paint and learning some new techniques for clean lines. I hate tagging, and crap graffiti that is an eyesore. I'm trying to do illustration with spray paint. I've developed a bit of an addiction with buying spray caps.

But the point is, this is something that has made me happy. Many people would say it's silly, or trash, or w/e. But it's not about other people. It's about me, and what makes me happy.

The only person that can make you happy, is you.

Well at least you're indulging in your graffiti practices legitimately and not defacing random property with pointless tit-for-tat tags, which you admit to hating. The latter does my nut in big time, especially since the mid-90s when I suddenly started paying more attention to such phenomena which prior to then I was mostly oblivious to.

Most tit-for-tat tags these days seem to be in a very samey and homogeneous style, unlike back in the 90s where they were still mostly in the style of one's natural handwriting and read stuff like 'X & Y woz 'ere 9T*', 'X 4 Y 4 eva', 'X is a (insert profanity)', etc.

Back to others' comments on the past and their being scared of the present and the future, I can totally relate to, as they suggest they can still 'control' the past as it's set in stone, but not the future.

For some odd reason I have been feeling nostalgic for the year 1986 in which year I was 9 on my birthday. And despite many of the traumatic ordeals I went through with my residential schooling during that particular year whose memories still continue to give me major angst today, I still have fond memories of certain events that took place with my family during weekends and school holidays during 86, such as a great holiday in Torbay in a static caravan during Whit week that year in which my maternal grandmother also came with us. Also she moved to Tamworth into a ground floor flat about half a mile from where we live earlier in 86 after previously living some 18 or so miles away, which was not only far more convenient for us all, but in a far nicer area than where she previously lived which was in a fairly rough part of West Brom.

Plus there was still some great music in the charts that year, and vinyl was still (only just) the foremost format for recorded music despite CDs rapidly becoming the norm in the album charts by then.

BlueIris
15-06-21, 09:26
@PM What are you doing to help yourself right now?

WiredIncorrectly
15-06-21, 10:34
@PM, when I feel hopeless I try to follow those feelings upstream, as it were, then work out which of my needs aren't being met and what I can do to fix that. A therapist taught me the technique, and it can be really helpful.

@Wired - may I see pics of your work, please?

Sure, I will be going down there on Saturday. I don't take pics when I'm at the park because I don't own a phone and lugging my camera around at 2am is a bit of a nightmare. I've asked my partner if I can paint the garden wall white and use that but she doesn't seem keen. My ultimate goal is to paint my Dad and Stepdad.

BlueIris
15-06-21, 10:42
Awesome! How are you feeling today?

WiredIncorrectly
15-06-21, 10:43
Nope... none of that any more.

I know the feeling PM. It sucks when we end up in this hole.

I think difference between being in the hole, and out of it, is how we process thoughts. Example in case ...

I had hemerobiids. I was convinced it was Cancer. Then after that I had an ingrowing hair on my testicle. I tried to squeeze it and it made it worse and then I messed with it daily. It's almost gone. But this time I didn't tell myself I had Cancer. My mindset wasn't in the hole. Instead of dwelling on the thought my brain just says "Ingrowing hair, move along".

The brain can "move along" when the mindset is good.

To get to that mindset you have to become happier, and you have to partake in activities that distract your mind. That does mean giving yourself a little push when times are rough.

I'm "ok" for now so I'm able to offer a bit of advice after being in this situation myself. Be kind to yourself when you're in the hole and accept its your mental health playing up.

What's this about restoration? What kind of work did you do there?

WiredIncorrectly
15-06-21, 10:44
Awesome! How are you feeling today?

Very sleepy, sore throat. But, I'll make it through. I've got a free pass to remain in bed all day. I'm going to take advantage of that.

BlueIris
15-06-21, 10:54
Good plan. Enjoy your rest day!

Pamplemousse
15-06-21, 12:31
What's this about restoration? What kind of work did you do there?

It used to be stuff like this. Dates from 1951, made by RGD in Bridgnorth. I used to restore both the electronics and the cabinets.

I've just sold that unrestored: it was taking up too much space and I know I'll never get around to it.

Truth be told, stuff like this is a massive drain on my finances (especially if I'm going to retire in 15 months as planned) and I just want rid now as I've lost all interest in it: I really don't want my family to be burdened with dealing with it all when I die because there's lots.

pulisa
15-06-21, 13:53
Have you thought of what you would like to do once you retire? Not "if" you make it to retirement but when you retire?

WiredIncorrectly
15-06-21, 15:31
It used to be stuff like this. Dates from 1951, made by RGD in Bridgnorth. I used to restore both the electronics and the cabinets.

I've just sold that unrestored: it was taking up too much space and I know I'll never get around to it.

Truth be told, stuff like this is a massive drain on my finances (especially if I'm going to retire in 15 months as planned) and I just want rid now as I've lost all interest in it: I really don't want my family to be burdened with dealing with it all when I die because there's lots.

That's amazing PM! Sounds like an excellent business idea (although you're retiring). Do you know a fair bit about electronics? I completely suck at soldering. I got some liquid flux hoping that would help but it just created a sticky mess (is flux even meant to be sticky?).

Pamplemousse
15-06-21, 18:18
Have you thought of what you would like to do once you retire? Not "if" you make it to retirement but when you retire?

I *genuinely* cannot contemplate thinking that far ahead, P. I mean, I had an email offering me work this morning - the job being on the 26th. And all I could think of is "is it worth me accepting this? I'll probably be in hospital with some terrible illness or worse by then." Coupled with "I do need the money".

I always thought I'd have the collection of stuff like that lump to restore in my retirement; but my mindset has changed in the last few months... and not for the better. I can see me rotting in front of the telly like so many in my dotage instead.

pulisa
15-06-21, 19:41
I couldn't contemplate this and I'm older than you. I don't think you would want this either.

Pamplemousse
15-06-21, 20:48
I couldn't contemplate this and I'm older than you. I don't think you would want this either.

All I want, P, is for the nightmare to end.

At the moment I can't contemplate the end of the week.

Pamplemousse
15-06-21, 20:51
That's amazing PM! Sounds like an excellent business idea (although you're retiring). Do you know a fair bit about electronics? I completely suck at soldering. I got some liquid flux hoping that would help but it just created a sticky mess (is flux even meant to be sticky?).

I'm okay with old analogue electronics - both valve and transistor. At least I can still see the damned components.

And yes, flux can be sticky...

WiredIncorrectly
16-06-21, 08:08
I'm okay with old analogue electronics - both valve and transistor. At least I can still see the damned components.

And yes, flux can be sticky...

You've got a skill I would love to own!

Do you know much about tube compressors? It's a dream of mine to own a Locomotive Audio Model 14B, so expensive though. I've looked into making one, but it's way above my knowledge at the moment. People like myself can't read schematics (even though I've tried so many times to learn). And I'm scared to build anything that plugs into the mains.

Are you comfortable working with electronics?

Pamplemousse
16-06-21, 11:12
You've got a skill I would love to own!

Do you know much about tube compressors? It's a dream of mine to own a Locomotive Audio Model 14B, so expensive though. I've looked into making one, but it's way above my knowledge at the moment. People like myself can't read schematics (even though I've tried so many times to learn). And I'm scared to build anything that plugs into the mains.

Are you comfortable working with electronics?

Absolutely comfortable. 5KV from a transformer off the mains (for early televisions) scares the s**t out of me though.

For audio compressors, I gather that for the modern era there's a plug-in that emulates the Neve 33609 limiter/compressors very well indeed; they're still in production today and the price tag is more than my car's worth!

Whilst you're looking that up, have a look at the old Pye compressor/limiter too :)

NoraB
17-06-21, 10:16
I have been happy in the past, and it was wonderful. But I would always be thinking "this cannot last".

Happiness, for me, comes in moments - literally seconds of sunshine and then the clouds roll in again. I know what happiness feels like, and that's what matters.

Right now I feel like a small child alone in a dark country lane, abandoned by its parents and whose last memory of them will be the tail lights of their going away at speed, with snarling dogs all around.

Or you could change the imagery and see yourself as a small child holding somebody's hands walking along a beautiful lane with hedgerows that are bursting with life? The temperature is perfect for you. There are no cars. The dogs, if any, are big and daft hounds who keep nudging you to remind you how much they love you. Nothing can hurt you; you're safe.

Your body will respond differently to these scenarios PM. The first with stress hormones. The second with calming hormones. I do this a lot now, and it helps.

I know that one day my fight, and it has always been a fight, will end, and all I will feel is love. All ego-based and negative emotions will be gone. Unhappiness? Gone. Guilt? Gone. Pain? Gone.

I experience hopelessness and despair regularly - especially since my health has gone down the shitter. Not being able to do what I want to do, when I want to do it has been hard for me to get my head around. Some days I just cry and think that I can't take another day. But those are generally my high-pain days when it's 9/10 and the medication isn't working. But the next day comes and things are different. The pain has lessoned, and there's a glimmer of hope, and with that comes strength - not physical strength but internal strength, and I'm back up in life's face!

I have a past that I wish I didn't have. It's ugly, painful - shit. But some of my happiest moments are also there. Three of them call me 'Mum'. The present is about grafting my way through the crap of mental and physical issues, but also watching for those 'lights' along the way. The future? I know I will die at some point, and that doesn't scare me half as much as living has, or my own thoughts which took me to the brink of sanity. For now though, things to do, and people to piss off. :yesyes:

Happiness, as a state, might not last but the memories are there forever PM. When the storm comes, take those memories out and hold onto them because they'll see you through.

You're one of my favourite people on here PM. I hate that you're hurting. A lot of people care you, you know?

Pamplemousse
17-06-21, 10:39
Thank you for your kind words, Nora.

This morning I am hoping to get a call from the GP practice to discuss my ongoing problems, having been fobbed off by the *******s twice. Having told the receptionist I was having suicidal thoughts I was told to go online at 7am next morning to see if I could get an appointment.

I was told to self-refer but the private company that handles MH issues round here say they're only suitable for mild to moderate illness, and I'm a long way past that.

I genuinely felt like going to the practice this morning with a Stanley knife and when the junkyard dogs come out that guard the precious GPs, putting it to my wrist and saying "either I see a doctor NOW or you get to witness a suicide. Your call."

What my NHS-employed family think of GPs is unprintable here - it'd just be a sea of asterisks but if/when this pandemic is over - or at least, manageable - I'll be campaigning for a public inquiry as to why they were allowed to sit on their pampered arses in splendid isolation when their colleagues in hospitals had no choice.

Pamplemousse
17-06-21, 11:17
So, Sertraline for a fortnight to begin with.

NoraB
17-06-21, 11:57
I genuinely felt like going to the practice this morning with a Stanley knife and when the junkyard dogs come out that guard the precious GPs, putting it to my wrist and saying "either I see a doctor NOW or you get to witness a suicide. Your call."

Our Rottweiler of a receptionist would still tell you to ring back at 8am tomorrow...

I think our GP's have given up on face to face consultations now. I certainly can't get in to see one of the buggers!

Pamplemousse
17-06-21, 13:08
Our Rottweiler of a receptionist would still tell you to ring back at 8am tomorrow...

I think our GP's have given up on face to face consultations now. I certainly can't get in to see one of the buggers!

Halve the salaries of the buggers then.

Lencoboy
17-06-21, 21:03
Thank you for your kind words, Nora.

This morning I am hoping to get a call from the GP practice to discuss my ongoing problems, having been fobbed off by the *******s twice. Having told the receptionist I was having suicidal thoughts I was told to go online at 7am next morning to see if I could get an appointment.

I was told to self-refer but the private company that handles MH issues round here say they're only suitable for mild to moderate illness, and I'm a long way past that.

What my NHS-employed family think of GPs is unprintable here - it'd just be a sea of asterisks but if/when this pandemic is over - or at least, manageable - I'll be campaigning for a public inquiry as to why they were allowed to sit on their pampered arses in splendid isolation when their colleagues in hospitals had no choice.

Please don't top yourself PM, you're far bigger and better than you think right now. Plus we'd all really miss you on here!

Catkins
17-06-21, 21:11
PM - I have recently used the Mind Crisis team, not sure where you are but it might be worth contacting them for some support.

Catkins
17-06-21, 21:14
Also I self-referred to the local NHS Crisis Team when I hit the brink and thought I might to myself a mischief. I had 2 weeks of visits every other day and they sorted my medication out. It was really helpful.

Lencoboy
17-06-21, 21:26
Absolutely comfortable. 5KV from a transformer off the mains (for early televisions) scares the s**t out of me though.

For audio compressors, I gather that for the modern era there's a plug-in that emulates the Neve 33609 limiter/compressors very well indeed; they're still in production today and the price tag is more than my car's worth!

Whilst you're looking that up, have a look at the old Pye compressor/limiter too :)

Wow, some real audio tech talk going on here!

I absolutely adore vintage audio gear, especially from the 70s era, much of which still remains in regular usage in many top studios around the world.

With regards home hi-fi gear, there's nothing more cosy and hypnotic than gawping at a pair of illuminated mechanical VU level meters in motion in a dimly-lit room, whilst enjoying the music at the same time.

A few years back I had an old silver-front Akai AM-U01 hi-fi amplifier dating from around 1979-80 that I purchased second-hand from our local Cash Generators shop. It sports a lovely pair of vertical illuminated mechanical VU level meters combined into a single unit, with each source selector (bar the tape monitor) switch having a green LED lamp above it. Looked great and sounded great, and was gutted when it finally died a couple of years back!

Akai also manufactured a black version of the very same amplifier model and its other matching components in the same set back in the day.

pulisa
18-06-21, 08:16
Also I self-referred to the local NHS Crisis Team when I hit the brink and thought I might to myself a mischief. I had 2 weeks of visits every other day and they sorted my medication out. It was really helpful.

It's not like this everywhere though, Catkins. I'm glad you had such excellent support. It must really help.

PM, you have plenty of friends on here..Feel free to use us? I know that IAPT services are woefully inadequate but they do offer a Counselling for Depression service which may be more acceptable to you that the bog standard CBT package?

Catkins
18-06-21, 09:32
I do feel fortunate. I was just hopeful that PMs area was similar. In fact it would be great if everyone's was similar to be honest.

Catkins
18-06-21, 09:38
Just been out with the dog and had to nip into the garage. Feeling quite cross with myself, I saw my son's best friends mum and she was 'hi, how are you all?' For some reason I replied 'oh fine, we're all well'. I mean I wasn't going to tell her everything that has been going on, but why is it such a reflex to say that.

BlueIris
18-06-21, 10:06
I'm like that too, Catkins, doesn't matter if I was crying a few minutes ago, if someone asks, I'm doing great.

Catkins
18-06-21, 13:06
It would be great if we could just, 'things are shit right now, but I'm hoping they'll improve'

BlueIris
18-06-21, 13:14
I'd like that a lot, Catkins.

The thing I most want to be able to do, though, as somebody who does a lot of training and techie help, is to be able to say "Yes, you are being stupid, but that's okay, I like you anyway."

Catkins
18-06-21, 13:54
That would be wonderful!

pulisa
18-06-21, 14:05
Just been out with the dog and had to nip into the garage. Feeling quite cross with myself, I saw my son's best friends mum and she was 'hi, how are you all?' For some reason I replied 'oh fine, we're all well'. I mean I wasn't going to tell her everything that has been going on, but why is it such a reflex to say that.

I think it's because you know that people don't want to hear bad news really and the "how are you?" is just a continuation of "hello". I always say "Fine" because that's what is expected.

Catkins
18-06-21, 16:58
I think I'm going to start saying 'fair to middling'.

pulisa
18-06-21, 17:55
My grandmother always used to say "I'm as well as can be expected...under the circumstances". She loved to talk about her various ailments!

Catkins
18-06-21, 18:18
My grandmother always used to say "I'm as well as can be expected...under the circumstances". She loved to talk about her various ailments!

Oooo that's a good one. Noone will ask what the circumstances are round here.

Fishmanpa
18-06-21, 19:24
I like "Could be better, could be worse but I'm still kickin' and that's a good thing!" :winks:

Here's a list (https://pairedlife.com/etiquette/Funny-and-Witty-Responses-to-the-Question-How-Are-You) I found that will give you a smile and a laugh....

FMP

pulisa
18-06-21, 19:26
Oooo that's a good one. Noone will ask what the circumstances are round here.

That would have annoyed my grandmother!:D

Do you have a lot of friends where you live, Catkins?

Catkins
19-06-21, 06:57
Yes I have 4 really good friends and I would say a lot of acquaintances.

pulisa
19-06-21, 08:03
Sounds like you live in a close knit community? Have you always lived in Cumbria?

Catkins
19-06-21, 08:32
No, I lived in Middlesex until I was 15. Then moved up here to live with my mum (long complicated story, divorce, my dad wouldn't let her take us etc).

When I first moved up I felt like I had stepped back in time. Now I love it here, it's beautiful and when I have the energy and motivation I love to be outside. I don't think I could live in a city again.

pulisa
19-06-21, 08:39
I'm sure it's a wonderful place to live with beautiful scenery..I live in Surrey and always have done apart from a few years in Cheltenham and Bristol.

Sounds like Cumbria is pretty good for MH care too! Here it's dire.

Catkins
19-06-21, 10:43
I think it goes through phases, sometimes it's good, other times not, I guess it depends on funding and what is flavour of the month with NHS England. I think I was fortunate and I knew what services were out there based on previous experience.

I grew up not too far from Surrey, across the river in Isleworth and my son did a year in Industry when he was at Uni, he lived in Redhills and worked at Pfizer.

pulisa
19-06-21, 13:50
I think it goes through phases, sometimes it's good, other times not, I guess it depends on funding and what is flavour of the month with NHS England. I think I was fortunate and I knew what services were out there based on previous experience.

I grew up not too far from Surrey, across the river in Isleworth and my son did a year in Industry when he was at Uni, he lived in Redhills and worked at Pfizer.

He's certainly benefited from Pfizer in more ways than one after today!

Catkins
19-06-21, 14:21
Definitely!

Lencoboy
20-06-21, 09:08
He's certainly benefited from Pfizer in more ways than one after today!

How ironic (in a good way)!