PDA

View Full Version : when will i believe it?

bee10
25-01-11, 00:48
Every time i panic i always think it is 'time' and i am having a heart attack. I annoy myself that i still think it even though it has happened a million times. It is like waiting for an answer, and the heart attack would be the answer to these years of symptoms. Today had really bad numb face, chest and back pain and internal tremors. Still don't understand and always looking for answer. Need to stop! Grrrrrr.

mercer88
25-01-11, 00:58
Bee,

I am assuming you know the symptoms of cardiac issues. As such, is it possible that, in your anxiety you are mirroring these symptoms to try and justify what your mind would like to think?

I tend to do the same. Any time I get an increased heart rate I think it is heart trouble, any time I get a headache I assume it is a brain tumour and any time I get a twinge in my muscles I assume I am wasting away from muscular dystrophy...Doesn't make it true.

It seems like this may all just be a symptom of your anxiety and, as such, you imply meaning on your symptoms in panic that may not exist.

Of course, if you genuinely feel you have a cardiac issue, go to your doctor. There are tests available for most heart issues and this could reassure you that nothing is wrong and that it is all just a symptom of your anxiety.

Either way, you should try not to panic. If you were having/had a heart attack you would know and I am sure you are fine. Try to be objective, and decide, without the clouding of panic and anxiety what the best course of action is for you.

shoegal
25-01-11, 02:32
Hello Bee. Anxiety can cause all sorts of horrible symptoms. They can include a racing heart, skipped beats and palpatations. Have you ever had an ECG just to put your mind at rest? When you get the scary symptoms try to remind yourself that it's just anxiety and although it feels awful it cannot hurt you. Nobody has ever died from a panic attack, and a panic attack won't cause a heart attack or anything like that. Please try not to worry. :flowers:

ewood79
25-01-11, 05:45
I constantly ask this question to myself all the time.... the truth is that most of us do believe it for what it is 90% of the time..... its the other 10% of the time that we really consume ourselves with fearfull thoughts that get us thinking about the what ifs re the symptoms...... i personally think we are way to hard on ourselves and whist our symptoms are scary as it would be nice to worry so much about them!!

bee10
25-01-11, 22:46
Thanks all, really appreciate it. Got thru last night, so surely i can get thru this one too! x