PDA

View Full Version : Grandmother-recovers-10-years-depression

PoppyC
25-01-11, 13:12
Hi
I read this article and thought would share the link.
How many of us would go through this to get rid of depression. If it was bad enough, then I think I would.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1350104/Grandmother-recovers-10-years-depression-deep-brain-stimulation.html

ditzygirl
25-01-11, 14:25
mmm brave lady but glad she can enjoy her grandchildren now.

Hope you are okay Poppyxx

paula lynne
25-01-11, 15:36
Thanks for the link. Poor woman. Dont think deep brain stimulation would be for me, theyd have a hard time locating it....:blush:

JaneC
25-01-11, 15:40
Lol Paula, having wires put in your brain? Really don't like the sound of that!

ElizabethJane
25-01-11, 18:06
I have just read the article. It would seem that the lady took part in some sort of clinical trial. If my depression did not respond to conventional treatment in the future I would definitely look at treatments like this if they were available. It seems to be very much in its infancy. EJ.

PoppyC
25-01-11, 22:31
Hi all
Thanks for replies. There seems to be lots of articles in the press at the moment about celebs and non celebs with anxiety and depression issues and how they overcame them. Miranda Hart, is one of them, and Gemma Kidd, is another.
I agree Elizabeth with what you wrote. I think in years to come - not sure how soon - that surgery will help with depression. It exists now, but its quite a sensitive topic. I don't see why, considering there is surgery for everything else that needs fixing.
If I thought my anxiety and depression could be cured by having surgery then I wouldn't hesitate to have it done. I guess it would be all down to how bad it is.
At the moment though, I am not sure where my brain is :wacko: 50 mg Citalopram and I feel a bit strange and not really here :whistles:

ladybird64
26-01-11, 12:23
A very interesting story and I guess time will tell if this procedure will be become more widespread.

The one thing that strikes me is that at present there is no way of telling how effective it is over the longer term, although of course I hope it continues to work for this lady.

She has had meds, probably therapy, then was an inpatient, has had ECT before having the initial brain stimulation procedure but I noticed that this provided only temporary relief to her and she has had to actually have a tube inserted into the brain.

Fascinating link, thank Poppy :flowers:

Greenman50
31-01-11, 15:32
I thank my lucky stars i,m feeling better after 2 months of depression / anxiety , it must be the cit 20 mg kicking in , i really feel for people who continue to suffer .