PDA

View Full Version : Had blood taken, doctor didnt wipe area first - that ok?

uk23
26-01-11, 16:28
I had some blood taken yesterday, the doctor didnt wipe down the area with alcohol before hand, she just put the needle in.

I was thinking back and I cant remember if all doctors do that, I looked it up and this website (http://www.epsom-sthelier.nhs.uk/our-services/a-to-z-of-services/diagnostics-and-pharmacy/pathology/information-for-healthcare-professionals/how-to-take-blood/) doesnt even mention wiping the area first with alcohol.

I have been anxious since I was that :( and have tried not to post on here.

When you have had a blood test, did the nurse or doctor always wipe the area first or does it vary? If that NHS website doesnt mention it...what do you think?

paula lynne
26-01-11, 16:37
Hi Piers, the docs and nurses stopped using alcohol wipes a couple of years ago, or they should have, as it interfered with the test result. It also interferes with the natural alkaline/acid of the skin, and causes irritation in lots of people. I guess it depends where you live. It seems the results are more conclusive when wipes are not used. Hope this helps . Paula x

uk23
26-01-11, 16:40
Oh, thank you very much for your reply. I thought it was something all doctors did to clean the area first, didnt realise they stopped using them!

Mogwog
26-01-11, 17:02
I wondered this too when I had mine done - then someone informed me they stopped using them.

Laura.x

nomorepanic
26-01-11, 17:52
I have blood tests all the time and they have never used a wipe.

Thanks Paula for the reason why.