PDA

View Full Version : Fear of undetected illnesses

phil06
26-01-11, 17:39
I'm scared all the time my anxiety is not just anxiety. My dad has just been diagnosed with Diabeties so I'm scared of that and how it can run in the family. I have felt fatigue and panic/derealization for months so I'm worried it's serious If I never feel normal.

I had a friend who had a fit last year in also worried about that. Would you know the difference between anxiety and illness?

Does anybody else worry when others get diagnoses with things? I'm scared of old age too because I feel 100 now and I'm 22 and what if it all goes downhill? :ohmy::blush:

j2
26-01-11, 18:09
I worry about the same things. i wish I could help us both.

countrygirl
26-01-11, 22:53
The reason we are all on this board is that we cannot come to terms with not having complete control over our bodies/health- we have a form of OCD. This is the reason we constantly fear illness of any kind. I find that any situation that I feel I have no control over produces same panic feelings as I get when I get a new health symptom but the bottom line is that its our desire to have completel control that is the problem.

After a lifetime of health anxiety all I can say is it will rule and ruin your life if you let it - better to try and go out and enjoy yourself because no one knows what is going to happen and getting to old age and realising that you have let worry and fear rule your life is very very sad. My husband said this to me not long ago that I have spent all my life worrying and what for it does not make anything better or stop anything bad happening- he is a wonderful husband and what he said was so true.
don't let this happen to you.

Horse
26-01-11, 23:16
I can only endorse what Countrygirl has written.

I started my Anxiety at 10 years old, had my first full panic attack at 17 and that's the way it's been all my life. I'm 56 now and it's only the fact that I'm crazy that keeps me sane!

If you're not careful, this illness has the cabability of controlling your life. It can chew you up and spit you out. It can kick you when you're down, and when you get back up, it will kick you down again. It will stop you doing the things you want to do and make you do things you don't want to do.

Most of my life I have spent wondering 'what if this happens' or 'what if that happens,' needless to say, nothing has ever happened!

If it's easier, then live each day at a time, DON'T worry about tomorrow, instead of thinking 'what if' just say 'so what!'

Imagine yourself becomming stronger everyday in order to fight off any illness, disease or things which upset you.

If you remain positive you will overcome the battle much easier.

Horse.

macc noodle
26-01-11, 23:21
Agree completely about not letting it get you down and that you have to fight to become strong BUT I have been clear and free of my HA for nigh on 15 years - still a hypochondriac but learned to live with it and not to over imagine my symptoms.

Then one day last year woke up and BANG there is was back again ruling my life and I have really really struggled with it and then when I feel good BANG it gets me again. Like tonight I have been having an almighty struggle with myself and even just posted my fears.

It is hard and it is a fight but yes we do have to keep on going and try not to let it get us down all the time.