PDA

View Full Version : turned down for dla :(

wigglywoo12
26-01-11, 20:57
hi folks i have been away from work now with bad anxiety for 7 months now the longest i have ever been off had some very bad anxiety within that period so start of this month i decided to claim dla as i have had anxiety for 12 years now perhaps longer its only ever been kept at bay at times because of meds as you can all imagine.anyway i filled out the application myself online stating how bad i get as i am sure you can all imagine again im sure i dont need to describe this.i also put that i suffer from a stammer which i have had from a very early age which at times is so bad i can barely string a sentence together.anyway i got my reply today from dwp saying i had not been awarded anything mobility or care nothing i wasnt too bothered about the mobility but i was about the care it basically said,i dont need reassurance with my condition,i dont need to be motivated to do things basically making out there is nothing up with me and a "pull yourself together attitude" this has really pi**ed me off.now on the form it asked me to provide 2 contacts about my condition so i put my gp who has been great and very supportive for 7 months and also my cbt therapist who i have seen for about 5 sessions now.i rang back today to see why it had been turned down and also asked who had been contacted about my claim the lady on the phone told me all i can tell you is that your gp was not contacted about your claim and that it did not show who was contacted so the person left is my cbt therapist.now i dont know if it was him and if it was what has he possibly told them that has gone against me

some advice please

thankyou

wiggly :mad:

LucyR
26-01-11, 21:11
Hi, Yes, that must be annoying which benefit are you on presently and how bad does one have to be to qualify for DLA anyway??

wigglywoo12
26-01-11, 21:21
hi lucy

im not on any benefits at the moment just a little bit of housing benefit not much at all i have been getting full pay from work for 27 weeks but i go down to half pay next week i only work part time 27 hours a week.they really did make it sound like there is naff all up with me

nomorepanic
26-01-11, 21:29
Things are getting tougher and you will find that if you can do basic things like get up, wash, get dressed, cook yourself some food etc then you will not be eiligible.

They are clamping down massively now.

I am able to work part-time but not full time due to health problems but I doubt I will get any benefits at all.

ditzygirl
26-01-11, 21:51
No you won't - I am having a nightmare and don't honestly think I will get anything ever.

I have written to MP's and all sorts but still not getting me anywherexx

wigglywoo12
26-01-11, 21:56
is it worth appealing or not dont feel very optimistic after reading comments.could it be the fact that i said i could walk and get dressed do you think im a bit curious as to what my cbt therapist said as he was one of two people who i named on the claim form

macc noodle
26-01-11, 22:07
Apparently, the success rate for appeal is low - usually improved if you appear or have an advocate appeal on your behalf.

They are trying to restrict the eligibility for these benefits in the current climate and I think that unfortunately far too many people who are not ill are using the system to their benefit by claiming mental health problems that they do not have - this means that those who genuinely need it are now being refused also.

For me personally, working was a good way to help me overcome my problems although I know it does not work for all.

Good luck :)

JaneC
26-01-11, 22:16
Hi Wiggly, sorry but I've read the criteria for getting DLA and I think very few people with anxiety - if any - stand much of a chance of getting it, I'm afraid - and given how strict the criteria are, I doubt it's got anything to do with what your CBT therapist may or may not have said x

daisycake
27-01-11, 00:37
I have to agree with whats already been said - its very difficult to get now. Maybe turn it into a positive - yes, they have turned you down but that's obviosuly because they think you're not too bad, maybe they're wrong but perhaps that can give you a bit of hope for a good recovery? As has already been said work can be a huge help, I know my mum was scared to go back to work after about fifteen years of unemployment due to mental illness, and she discovered she loved it :D - gave her something to do that wasnt in the house! I know it doesn't work for everyone but...

Hope you feel better soon :hugs:

uk23
27-01-11, 01:15
Sorry to hear about your claim, I currently get DLA for OCD but considering I have to have someone to help me dress...

They can be really quite hard to get anywhere with and I found making an appointment to see the MP was much better that writing a letter. Most, if not all, MP's offer a booking system and give you 15 or so minutes to chat with them, well worth doing if you can.

If you need any advice let me know, happy to try and help.

shoegal
27-01-11, 06:04
You might not be able to claim DLA but there are other sickness benefits you can claim if you're not well enough to work. I don't know what it's called but there is a new benefit where they assess your ability to work and they offer to train you etc. I'm sure someone on here will know what it's called and can help you.

wigglywoo12
27-01-11, 08:56
well the thing is ive always had the same thing had about 4 jobs since the age of 16 im 31 now and still have a job its the same pattern over and over start a job do ok for a while anxiety rears its ugly head take time off end up with the sack or ill health retirement.i cant cope going to work when i feel so ill with it but im a proud person and have always worked and would love to but like i said i can barely go out the door never mind go to work

wigglywoo12
27-01-11, 09:02
Apparently, the success rate for appeal is low - usually improved if you appear or have an advocate appeal on your behalf.

They are trying to restrict the eligibility for these benefits in the current climate and I think that unfortunately far too many people who are not ill are using the system to their benefit by claiming mental health problems that they do not have - this means that those who genuinely need it are now being refused also.

For me personally, working was a good way to help me overcome my problems although I know it does not work for all.

Good luck :)
if i had no mental health problems i sure as hell would not claim for anything knowing what i know now about anxiety id just be very thankful that i didnt suffer from it

ditzygirl
27-01-11, 09:22
You can appeal but they will make you wait at least 6 months in which time you get no money - that's what they are doing to me anyway.

blueangel
28-01-11, 12:47
As a few people have already said, it's actually very difficult to get DLA. In my line of work as a union rep, the only people I've come across who get it tend to be those who have severe mobility problems. I've just repped for a guy with severe heart and lung problems (and who is waiting for surgery at the moment) and they even turned him down for it.

Alabasterlyn
28-01-11, 13:17
I know quite a number of people with agoraphobia who get the lower mobility rate of DLA for the reason that help is needed to go out etc. To get the care element you have to be so bad that you can't even cook a simple meal I think.

wigglywoo12
28-01-11, 14:52
As a few people have already said, it's actually very difficult to get DLA. In my line of work as a union rep, the only people I've come across who get it tend to be those who have severe mobility problems. I've just repped for a guy with severe heart and lung problems (and who is waiting for surgery at the moment) and they even turned him down for it.

very sad isnt it blue

wigglywoo12
28-01-11, 14:54
still never mind i do hope that mental health problems should be made more aware than just the same old pull yourself together attitude

rosalena
19-08-13, 19:40
I do know 3 people getting it for anxiety. Each of them are on meds, which seems to help. I wont take meds - and I got turned down. It seems, if you're not on meds the doctor doesnt have much to tell them.

rosalena
21-11-13, 21:09
^^ update, two of the people I mentioned have now had their claims stopped - although they are genuine. I think the government are tightening belts....and I hope suicides are not the result. I did apply and was turned down, I appealed and was turned down. Fair enough I thought, what can I do. But yesterday I received a form from HM Courts saying its going to appeal! So Lord knows. But my doctor (I have never seen this doctor in person as shes never available) told the dla I didn't need the benefit...shes never even seen me!!

vicki1980
21-11-13, 22:28
Sadly suicides have already resulted because of this, a few infact, worst case was disabled couple who were that worried about their future they killed themselves! Another case was a young girl who had severe anxiety, they stopped her money and she just stopped in her flat and starved to death!! Horrific but true stories i assure you.

Trouble is this, no-one is really acting on this, Which MP have you seen on PM questions really raise this issue? None is the answer because sadly this government has labelled anyone on benefits of any sorts as just scroungers.

Further more a french company called Acos i believe handle the dla/pip payments/awards and lots have gone to tribunals and been overturned, lots of questions have been asked about this but without any proper answers. (sounds familiar i know).

My advice to you would be appeal the decision the cab can help you with this process, better still get a solicitor if you can afford that. But most of all i say to you fight them all the way and more importantly make sure you win. I wish you all the best and hope it works out for you.

This issue is a national disgrace!! The poor and needy being left to suffer, Odd thing is if you or i made someone suffer like this we would serve a custodial sentence but because it's the government it's alright to do this.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Acos? Atos i rather think.

pooh
11-12-13, 13:34
Hi there,
I am in receipt of DLA for my anxiety and panic disorder and my agoraphobia. I have an advocate fill out my form for me from a local advice centre. There are a few reasons why I believe I receive an award: I have support twice a week and therapy sessions with a psychiatric nurse. I also have support from another agency which is coming into place in a few weeks. I too take medication. All of this support came into place through much fighting on my part and having a social work assessment carried out. This provides a large pool of evidence of my illness and how it debilitates me. I supply written reports from all agencies with my claim too. In terms of care needs, if your illness makes you forget or care for that matter to eat, wash, dress or take your meds, these should be recorded down for the care component. I would also advise that whatever doctor could potentially write a report for you does know you well and is sympathetic to mental health conditions. Many aren't. Hope this helps anyone who may be applying.